Legality of the AR-15 in Canada

Sorry but you're way off on Canadian gun law
I wasn't when I posted. I sure would be if I had recently answered this way. A lot can change in not a lot of time and with no due process it seems. Covid makes blatant abuse of power justifiable. The true north strong and free is being intentionally weakened from within with ridiculous carbon taxes and is seeing the erosion of freedom in the name of "the greater good". Western society as a whole has become ashamed of where it comes from, what it stands for, and what makes it great, apologizing for
everything and proud of nothing.

I wasn't when I posted. I sure would be if I had recently answered this way. A lot can change in not a lot of time and with no due process it seems. Covid makes blatant abuse of power justifiable. The true north strong and free is being intentionally weakened from within with ridiculous carbon taxes and is seeing the erosion of freedom in the name of "the greater good". Western society as a whole has become ashamed of where it comes from, what it stands for, and what makes it great, apologizing for
everything and proud of nothing.
You're right, for the time period you weren't way off and I apologize for saying you were.
Where you were wrong, or perhaps where the confusion comes in is when you said AR type weapons aren't restricted anymore than bolt guns.
Yes there are and were rifles of similar design that weren't and aren't restricted, but any platform based on/patterned after the AR/Armalite Rifle was restricted and is now prohibited.
I think ppl classify any rifle that has an adjustable butt stock, pistol grip, and takes a box style mag larger than 5 rounds as an AR, and most ppl think AR stands for assault rifle which is completely incorrect, but thx to the media, Hollywood, and the Government, the majority of the population believes it to be true. Ppl think that Black guns look scary and were used by the military ( even though military and civilian models are different) so they must be dangerous and need to be outlawed!

Sheep will always eat what they're fed I guess.

As for mag capacity,
Yes CF semis are required to be pinned to 5 rounds but there is an exception.
Mag cap laws are confusing and are defined by the weapon they're intended for.
If you use your Tavor x95 with a Tavor mag, you're legally limited to 5 rounds,
But
If you use a Tavorx95 with a mag from a LAR15 (which is a .556 pistol,) you are limited to 10 rounds which is our legal cap for pistols in Canada.

I personally don't choose weapons based on mag cap. I choose based on what tool works best for the situation. 90 percent of my hunting Im running a bolt gun, but I'm not taking a bolt gun to 3 gun match lol, so I choose a different tool.

Lastly Calvin45,
Everything you said in this post is bang on.
You summed it up perfectly.
It is a blatant abuse of power and Canada is being destroyed from within. It really makes me sick.

Here's a question for you.
If the criminal code of Canada states that an order in council can not be used to change firearm law,
How the hell are they getting away with it and how did it get this far?

It would appear that the Canadian Border Patrol don't always know the law either. I brought an (unmodified) Marlin 1895SBL levergun in 45-70 into Canada for a bear hunt, as I have done MANY times. I ran into an officer at the crossing who stated that I was lucky that the rifle wasn't a 1/2" shorter or he would have taken some kind of action. The barrel was the standard 18.5" bbl. I'm not sure why he needed to be threatening.

After discussing this with several Canadians I learned that rifles can have barrels even shorter than 18" provided that they were manufactured that way. I think the Marlin Trapper model is 16" or 16.5". Apparently the officer didn't know the laws too well himself. Thankfully, I didn't have a Trapper model.
Your right I came back from Texas one year, I had a Colt Delta Elite 10 mm with me. When I said that I had it with me one CBA officer told me you can't own handguns in Canada. Lucky that a CBA officer I had dealt with before was standing there. He told the other officers that I was good to go as long as I had my registration. He then took me aside and asked if he could look at it as he wanted one for himself.

Your right I came back from Texas one year, I had a Colt Delta Elite 10 mm with me. When I said that I had it with me one CBA officer told me you can't own handguns in Canada. Lucky that a CBA officer I had dealt with before was standing there. He told the other officers that I was good to go as long as I had my registration. He then took me aside and asked if he could look at it as he wanted one for himself.
Interesting - I never considered leaving or entering the USA with a handgun. Laws here have become numerous and complicated. It's not hard to accidently violate some crazy regulation as you move from state to state.

I love hunting Canada. I hope it works out for you but if not, I'd say take a bolt gun and have a great time. Writing emails to or calling Canadian authorities will get you farther than complaints on this website.

Weapon are restricted in canada but not all AR type, I think you should find enough information to avoid the customs from sending you away at the border.

Owning a 15 and a 10 as well as multiple uppers, I would never use one for big game. Great for Yotes, but on big game ---- "one shot, one kill".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.