Legacy - J E Custom

badthirtyone

Legacy – what we leave behind of great enough value to be carried forward by those that follow.

I sat down in an attempt to share my thoughts on the ongoing legacy of one of LRH's most valuable treasures, J E Custom.

As we come into this next week, marking one year since his passing on Jan 24th​, 2021, I wanted to share a few reflections that I have had over the past few months.

Many of you knew Jerry - J E Custom - far, far better than I ever did. I was a long-time student and reader of this site before I became a moderately active member and contributor. I was only fortunate enough to have a small (but meaningful) number of exchanges with J E. My hope for you longer-term members that knew him well is that this would be an additional remembrance of him and his contributions to this site and to our lives.

For the newer members, especially those that have joined within the past year, my hope is that you take a little time and research the humble but masterful individual whose contributions you will inevitably run across if you spend any time on this site.

Jerry – J E Custom was a family man, a friend, a shooter, an outdoorsman, a gunsmith, a rifle builder, a tinkerer, a prior servicemember and a myriad of other exceptionally wonderful things that a man can be. Jerry was a true ambassador for our way of life.

Jerry – J E Custom is a teacher, a mentor, a reference, a quiet and gentle genius that shares his gifts with anyone that wonders "what if."
J E's legacy is that of knowledge, experience, caring, sharing, and laughter. That legacy can be found in multiple places throughout the world that he touched in a personal or professional way, most notably here within the pages of LRH.

J E Custom had a way about him. He was fully the definition of a "Gentle Man." He came across as such in all of his interactions here. Through his 10,718 posts he communicated a calm and quiet confidence that came from what seemed like lifetimes of experience in his dealings with pretty much anything related to firearms or mechanical contrivances. If you could dream up the most far-out project to try, it never failed that he had already completely built and tested it, probably years ago – and could tell you the most appropriate way to go about executing it based on his real-world results! I don't remember him ever being "stumped."

Perhaps more importantly was the way that he taught, mentored, and when needed, corrected the members that interacted with him. He was a gentleman. He was exceptionally slow to anger, and always pleaded his case with facts, data, and humility. He was humble to the core, but very likely more knowledgeable than anyone else we will ever run across in the shooting world. In this ever-increasing world of negative online interaction complete with self-righteous know-it-all's along with the all-too-often petty squabbling and griping, Jerry was a standout member. He told it like it was, but with a patience and tenderness that struck me to my soul. It always came across that what he genuinely cared about most was that the person that he was interacting with was actually learning and getting something out of the information that he provided. Often, patiently waiting for all others to catch up.

I look to him as a one-in-a-million example of patience and gentleness when I find myself wanting to react negatively or throw an unnecessary barb into a conversation. I could learn a tremendous amount by taking this particular page out of his playbook, and I believe it to be worthwhile to aspire to his example in our lives.

In addition to the gentle but straightforward way that he presented information, I have always been flat out awed by the depth and breadth of the knowledge that he had. He lived the things that most of us only have an opportunity to dream about and his knowledge and experience came out as simple as breathing for him. He breathed that experience out within these pages, and through an un-countable number of personal phone calls to members of this site over the years.

I, probably like most of us, find myself reading through older threads on this forum either because I am researching something interesting or reading through previously unknown discussions because some other member has revived a thread from years past – whether unknowingly, or simply to update information on a topic. In doing so, I have also found myself reading through the information so quickly that I do not always take the time to check to see who is posting a particular response.

I cannot tell you how many times over the past number of years that I will hit on a response that is so meaningful or technically proficient that I have to slowly read the entirety of the post and digest the mastery of it. More often than not, when I am struck by the quality of the post and look into the upper-left corner to see who has crafted such a gem, I find it to be authored by J E Custom. This happens to me often, at least several times a month, and it makes me smile each time that it does.

I was blessed to have a grandfather that was very much like Jerry, both in his intellect and his personality. It gives me a warm sense of comfort and makes me remember them both fondly when I realize that I often read Jerry's posts in my grandfather's voice. I'm sure that they would have gotten along wonderfully.

It is also worth adding here that we owe a debt to Len Backus for the ongoing legacy of this site, and for being a repository for the wonderful information contained here from all members along with the thoughts and interactions of J E Custom.

I have wept this evening while writing this. I have also laughed and smiled until my face hurt while remembering Jerry and his exchanges here.

I am personally notable for very little genuine unique thought or innovation. If I am anything, it is because I have had some pretty phenomenal teachers and mentors over the course of my life. I have frequently repeated the phrase that we reach higher and see farther by standing on the shoulders of giants.

There are very few taller than Jerry.

God bless!

Rob Parks - "badthirtyone"
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a post-script, I have included a small sampling of the comments from what became Jerry's memorial page. The full thread can be found here:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/not-good-news-but.259576/

Additionally, at the close of the comments below, I have included links to Jerry's profile and collection of posts.

From his memorial thread:

Len and Chris - I sincerely and respectfully ask that J E Customs account stay active as a honorarium. There is so much information that he shared with us that is invaluable. (@Doublezranch )

His advice is always on point and never negative.
(@Dosh )

There are truly few people in the world that make the difference he did for so many people.
(@Doublezranch )

Hard to put into words sometimes how someone you have never met felt like a good friend like JE did. JE touched probably majority of folks on this forum in such a positive and Christian way.
(@Muddyboots )

I read his posts knowing I would learn from him.
(@WinMag4me )

I have not been a member that long on this site but JE seemed to be a mentor to all of us. What a wealth of knowledge he contributed to this forum.
(@West Calamus )

J E was THE guy I turned to whenever I needed to be set straight. Such a knowledge CARING old soul that would literally take his time out of everyday to help a stranger.
I truly believe ALL of us could take a page from J E's book.
(@North Idaho Hunter )

Wow JE Custom was a backbone of this community, always good upbeat to the point knowledge.
(@Savage 12BVSS )

On the Internet there is a lot of advice given and it's up to the reader to determine the bull from the valubull. JE always had value and you knew it was based upon his experiences and he was so willing to share that. He's taught me stuff he didn't even know he taught me.
(@JuddL )

JE shared his knowledge and advice freely and he always proved to be right. I owe him a debt I will never get to repay but somehow I don't think he minded.
(@LDHunter )

There was not a kinder person willing to help everyone, he will be missed by everyone.
(@carlbobh )

I remember when I was hired at an entry-level position out of college. During my first performance evaluation, my boss point out a co-worker and tells me, "If you want to be successful, model yourself after that person." Well, THAT person was JE when it comes to this forum.
(@mdw717 )

This tread will never end, I was searching the web for some info a couple of days ago and there JE was with the answer, He will always be helping
(@ButterBean )

Jerry was laid to rest February 25th. A small celebration of life was held for family and friends. The LRH family was mentioned during the service, and how 12 pages of responses showed just how much Jerry was respected. Following the service, Jerry received a 21 gun solute representing his time in the US Coast Guard.
There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of him. I read this thread often. I miss him
(@Doublezranch )

Last edited:
What a truly fantastic post badthirtyone. He was the first person to ever corespond with me when I joined this forum and like you I still read and look up his past posts to try to soak up his knowledge. While you may not think you contribute much knowledge, I can say I think you're quite the gentleman for making this thread. Good on you.

Legacy – what we leave behind of great enough value to be carried forward by those that follow.

I sat down in an attempt to share my thoughts on the ongoing legacy of one of LRH's most valuable treasures, J E Custom.

As we come into this next week, marking one year since his passing on Jan 24th​, 2021, I wanted to share a few reflections that I have had over the past few months.

Many of you knew Jerry - J E Custom - far, far better than I ever did. I was a long-time student and reader of this site before I became a moderately active member and contributor. I was only fortunate enough to have a small (but meaningful) number of exchanges with J E. My hope for you longer-term members that knew him well is that this would be an additional remembrance of him and his contributions to this site and to our lives.

For the newer members, especially those that have joined within the past year, my hope is that you take a little time and research the humble but masterful individual whose contributions you will inevitably run across if you spend any time on this site.

Jerry – J E Custom was a family man, a friend, a shooter, an outdoorsman, a gunsmith, a rifle builder, a tinkerer, a prior servicemember and a myriad of other exceptionally wonderful things that a man can be. Jerry was a true ambassador for our way of life.

Jerry – J E Custom is a teacher, a mentor, a reference, a quiet and gentle genius that shares his gifts with anyone that wonders "what if."
J E's legacy is that of knowledge, experience, caring, sharing, and laughter. That legacy can be found in multiple places throughout the world that he touched in a personal or professional way, most notably here within the pages of LRH.

J E Custom had a way about him. He was fully the definition of a "Gentle Man." He came across as such in all of his interactions here. Through his 10,718 posts he communicated a calm and quiet confidence that came from what seemed like lifetimes of experience in his dealings with pretty much anything related to firearms or mechanical contrivances. If you could dream up the most far-out project to try, it never failed that he had already completely built and tested it, probably years ago – and could tell you the most appropriate way to go about executing it based on his real-world results! I don't remember him ever being "stumped."

Perhaps more importantly was the way that he taught, mentored, and when needed, corrected the members that interacted with him. He was a gentleman. He was exceptionally slow to anger, and always pleaded his case with facts, data, and humility. He was humble to the core, but very likely more knowledgeable than anyone else we will ever run across in the shooting world. In this ever-increasing world of negative online interaction complete with self-righteous know-it-all's along with the all-too-often petty squabbling and griping, Jerry was a standout member. He told it like it was, but with a patience and tenderness that struck me to my soul. It always came across that what he genuinely cared about most was that the person that he was interacting with was actually learning and getting something out of the information that he provided. Often, patiently waiting for all others to catch up.

I look to him as a one-in-a-million example of patience and gentleness when I find myself wanting to react negatively or throw an unnecessary barb into a conversation. I could learn a tremendous amount by taking this particular page out of his playbook, and I believe it to be worthwhile to aspire to his example in our lives.

In addition to the gentle but straightforward way that he presented information, I have always been flat out awed by the depth and breadth of the knowledge that he had. He lived the things that most of us only have an opportunity to dream about and his knowledge and experience came out as simple as breathing for him. He breathed that experience out within these pages, and through an un-countable number of personal phone calls to members of this site over the years.

I, probably like most of us, find myself reading through older threads on this forum either because I am researching something interesting or reading through previously unknown discussions because some other member has revived a thread from years past – whether unknowingly, or simply to update information on a topic. In doing so, I have also found myself reading through the information so quickly that I do not always take the time to check to see who is posting a particular response.

I cannot tell you how many times over the past number of years that I will hit on a response that is so meaningful or technically proficient that I have to slowly read the entirety of the post and digest the mastery of it. More often than not, when I am struck by the quality of the post and look into the upper-left corner to see who has crafted such a gem, I find it to be authored by J E Custom. This happens to me often, at least several times a month, and it makes me smile each time that it does.

I was blessed to have a grandfather that was very much like Jerry, both in his intellect and his personality. It gives me a warm sense of comfort and makes me remember them both fondly when I realize that I often read Jerry's posts in my grandfather's voice. I'm sure that they would have gotten along wonderfully.

It is also worth adding here that we owe a debt to Len Bakus for the ongoing legacy of this site, and for being a repository for the wonderful information contained here from all members along with the thoughts and interactions of J E Custom.

I have wept this evening while writing this. I have also laughed and smiled until my face hurt while remembering Jerry and his exchanges here.

I am personally notable for very little genuine unique thought or innovation. If I am anything, it is because I have had some pretty phenomenal teachers and mentors over the course of my life. I have frequently repeated the phrase that we reach higher and see farther by standing on the shoulders of giants.

There are very few taller than Jerry.

God bless!

Rob Parks - "badthirtyone"
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a post-script, I have included a small sampling of the comments from what became Jerry's memorial page. The full thread can be found here:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/not-good-news-but.259576/

Additionally, at the close of the comments below, I have included links to Jerry's profile and collection of posts.

From his memorial thread:

Len and Chris - I sincerely and respectfully ask that J E Customs account stay active as a honorarium. There is so much information that he shared with us that is invaluable. (@Doublezranch )

His advice is always on point and never negative.
(@Dosh )

There are truly few people in the world that make the difference he did for so many people.
(@Doublezranch )

Hard to put into words sometimes how someone you have never met felt like a good friend like JE did. JE touched probably majority of folks on this forum in such a positive and Christian way.
(@Muddyboots )

I read his posts knowing I would learn from him.
(@WinMag4me )

I have not been a member that long on this site but JE seemed to be a mentor to all of us. What a wealth of knowledge he contributed to this forum.
(@West Calamus )

J E was THE guy I turned to whenever I needed to be set straight. Such a knowledge CARING old soul that would literally take his time out of everyday to help a stranger.
I truly believe ALL of us could take a page from J E's book.
(@North Idaho Hunter )

Wow JE Custom was a backbone of this community, always good upbeat to the point knowledge.
(@Savage 12BVSS )

On the Internet there is a lot of advice given and it's up to the reader to determine the bull from the valubull. JE always had value and you knew it was based upon his experiences and he was so willing to share that. He's taught me stuff he didn't even know he taught me.
(@JuddL )

JE shared his knowledge and advice freely and he always proved to be right. I owe him a debt I will never get to repay but somehow I don't think he minded.
(@LDHunter )

There was not a kinder person willing to help everyone, he will be missed by everyone.
(@carlbobh )

I remember when I was hired at an entry-level position out of college. During my first performance evaluation, my boss point out a co-worker and tells me, "If you want to be successful, model yourself after that person." Well, THAT person was JE when it comes to this forum.
(@mdw717 )

This tread will never end, I was searching the web for some info a couple of days ago and there JE was with the answer, He will always be helping
(@ButterBean )

Jerry was laid to rest February 25th. A small celebration of life was held for family and friends. The LRH family was mentioned during the service, and how 12 pages of responses showed just how much Jerry was respected. Following the service, Jerry received a 21 gun solute representing his time in the US Coast Guard.
There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of him. I read this thread often. I miss him
(@Doublezranch )

Amen!

jerry JE Custom.jpeg

As it is January 24th, I wanted to update this thread with a great photo of Jerry.

Many thanks to FEENIX for sharing this out of his personal files. FEENIX posted this photo in the original memorial thread about Jerry, but for those who have never seen that thread, I wanted everyone to be able to put a face to this gentle genius.

Jerry left a huge vaccum in his wake.

He was without a doubt one of the kindest and most decent guys who ever lived but he was an enormous wealth of stored knowledge and wisdom that is only gained by number one, starting off with a pretty sharp mind and two, many years of close study and a deep understanding of everything that affects how our rifles, powders, primers, cases, and bullets work and more importantly how they interact with one another to give us the final product.

There's an old Country Song, "Who's Going to Fill Their Shoes". There's many a great person in the industry today but it will take another 1 in a million, very special guy to fill his.