Leg gaitor question

cornchuck

I am looking to get leg gaitors for an up coming west Texas aoudad hunt. Do I really need them? I heard there is brush that a person can walk through below your knees that can tear up your legs. And being in west Texas (March time frame), do they need to be snake proof? Who has a good gaitor?

Thank you
Jason

I don't think any regular gaiters will prevent a snake fang penetration. I do like the First Lite gaiters and corrugate guide pants. The combo will keep the thorns off your legs. I wear them in 100 degree West Texas temps.

I got some snake gaiters 22yrs ago. Wore the first year hunting TX. Haven't since...

Filson single tin chaps for about $100 bucks. They used to be $49 a pair about 30 years ago, they almost last forever. No matter where ya get a chance to go hunting in thorny bush or sticky stuff, saves a lot of cuts.

Short answer: you don't need regular gaiters or snake gaiters.

More info: I've done a couple south Texas Aoudad hunts. [Regular, not snake] Gaiters aren't needed, they won't do anything (against cactus or snake). Cactus spines will go through your pants even with gaiters on, same with snakes. I wore Kuiu Guide pants (and jacket) on the Aoudad hunts and they did not get torn up.

I have have Crispi Hunter GTX (12", all leather) boots. They'll stop the spines (and snakes).

Separate from the Aoudad hunts I've done quite a bit of other hunting in Texas all times of the year. As the weather warms snakes start to come out, but at the time of year you're talking about they'll be a little lethargic (though maybe somewhat jumpier). I have snake boots that I pretty much only wear during the warmer months and only on particular properties that I hunt as snakes are not everywhere. And I don't even own snake gaiters. One of the properties I hunt I'm much more concerned about scorpions than snakes.

The Filson dbl tin (chaps) with wax are awesome, I have a pair that I have worn for about 20 years and have been amazing and basically indestructible. I also like the Kenetrek gaiters, they work very nicely for snow and low damp brush conditions… very well constructed and dont break the bank…. JM2C

I only wear gaiters to keep dirt from getting into my shoes and socks.

If brush is that bad, I normally get caught on every fabric of cloth that's on me. My bow too. In AZ and a few hunts in CA, I've literally had cactus thingy go through the gaiter into my leg. Snakes don't bother me, but if you're worried, you'd be limited to snake gaiters specifically.

CC Filson, if a guy has enuff $$$ for the ones with the side zippers, worth it cause, ya don't have to take ur boots off to get into them. They were always made in Seattle but, not sure these days, where they sew em together.

You dont hear about them much in places like this because ppl get really high speed with all the new fandangled equipment that comes out… but the Filson dbl tin apparel is second to none when it comes to construction…. At least the older stuff. I picked up my stuff 20+ years ago and will never wear it out in my lifetime… Chaps, bird vests and coats.. It's like an old broke-in pair of boots, hard to beat the experience, plus they smell like the old army tents of our childhood…. Well if you are old like me anyway…lol