Lefty Options

VTbluegrass

As of last August I am shooting lefty due to some eye issues, **** MS. Nothing terrible, not like someone could sneak up on my right side bad vision, but when I get behind a scope or a shotgun it's just not quite right. Shotgun was simple since I shoot an O/U most of the time. Rifle is another quandary moving forward.
I was saving for my next rifle which was going to be a Springfield Waypoint. Try to decide if I still want to go that direction even with no lefty options or if anything else is available in lefty that's similar. The fit a finish really drew me to the Waypoint and it's not too far into custom price territory. Some of the other rifles that I know shoot well would still aggravate me due to the fit and finish being off.

As of last August I am shooting lefty due to some eye issues, **** MS. Nothing terrible, not like someone could sneak up on my right side bad vision, but when I get behind a scope or a shotgun it's just not quite right. Shotgun was simple since I shoot an O/U most of the time. Rifle is another quandary moving forward.
I was saving for my next rifle which was going to be a Springfield Waypoint. Try to decide if I still want to go that direction even with no lefty options or if anything else is available in lefty that's similar. The fit a finish really drew me to the Waypoint and it's not too far into custom price territory. Some of the other rifles that I know shoot well would still aggravate me due to the fit and finish being off.
WEATHERBY 😻‼️😀😀

When all of the left hand people start telling you how they shoot right hand guns, just ignore them. They have probably never owned a left hand rifle. I had to shoot right handed stuff when I was young and was happy to start shooting left handed when I could afford to buy my own stuff. Once you get used to it, it feels more natural. That said, most companies offer left hand stuff. You will most likely have to special order it and wait for it though. Used is always an option too. I have left hand rifles from savage, browning, ruger, tikka and remington. They have all been good, though the rem got turned into a custom pretty fast. Have you looked at seekins precision? I think they do left hand stuff.

Last edited:
IMO weatherby offers the best lineup of LH rifles -

Accumark - backcountry or get the wood deluxe they all shoot very well. Like every left hander on the planet i've learned with RH rifles and still shoot some, but once you convert it's hard to go back.

Browning and Tikka are also fine rifles - or get a ruger 1 works for both, and they shoot too! ;)

Since you're easily aggravated by aesthetics I'd suggest building one and being done with it. Semi custom and custom rifles are enjoyable as you set them as you please. I prefer a prefit barrel set up and do all the assembly etc at home. Paint, trimming, fitting, inletting, what ever you need to do to make it personal to you.

Biggest issue with a custom rifle in LH is if you fall out of love, you will have to give it away most likely to move it. The market for LH rifles is not as strong as RH rifles especially when it's custom. So if your not a 1 gun man, i wouldn't invest that kinda money, if you are go for it!

Biggest issue with a custom rifle in LH is if you fall out of love, you will have to give it away most likely to move it. The market for LH rifles is not as strong as RH rifles especially when it's custom. So if you're not a 1 gun man, i wouldn't invest that kinda money, if you are go for it!
Not sure would make a guy fall out of love but the nice thing about a custom is that the action is always going to be excellent. Just drop in a different stock and it's like having a new gun. Kind of like jeans and t, a sun dress, or high heels and cocktail dress. Ha ha

Try a lefty rifle before you buy. I'm left eye dominant and have shot right hand bolts left handed since I was a boy. When a lefty mod 700 became available I bought it . Thought I would love it. Being right handed I couldn't work the lefty bolt nearly as proficiently as I could the right handed bolt guns. I sold the lefty . It was just awkward to me.

buy a tikka and throw and order your preferred stock. Later on you can order a prefit barrel if you want. You could get the same stock the waypoint has. It's just an ag composite.

I agree with LH before you buy a left handed rifle take one out and shoot it. If you decide that the way to go then you do have a lot of options. I'm left handed and in the years past caliber selections were limited so I started building the caliber I wanted from Savage rifles because almost anyone can do it in their garage with a few extra tools. They shot very well and for the most part I was pleased with them. Oh and back then they were inexpensive. Now days it's hard to find a donor gun at a reasonable price. So I started looking at other brands and came across a Tikka used for a decent price. I was very impressed with the accuracy and the smoothness of the bolt. I now have two and are pleased with both.

Try a lefty rifle before you buy. I'm left eye dominant and have shot right hand bolts left handed since I was a boy. When a lefty mod 700 became available I bought it . Thought I would love it. Being right handed I couldn't work the lefty bolt nearly as proficiently as I could the right handed bolt guns. I sold the lefty . It was just awkward to me.
This is generally dependent upon how you shoot or the position in which you shoot the most. If you are fine using your support hand for running the bolt that is generally due to bench or prone shooting etc where a support hand is not actually supporting anything. I shot right hand rifles most of the time and in comps like LRP and PRS. There were times I had an advantage but generally not often. Removing the support hand or reach across is problematic for quick cycles and staying on target. This is almost impossible when removing the support hand from the rifle to run the bolt. Once I switched to a left bolt the speed and repeatability for target acquisition and engagement is much is more fluid. Just something to keep in mind for the overall discussion as it really does seem to depend on how each person uses their rifle.