Left handed tikka action questions

richhymas

So I am left eye dominant and learned to shoot right handed but I would like to switch to left handed shooting. I have already converted to left handed archery. Anyway, I have never owned a Tikka and wanted to better understand the Tikka action as they make a stainless left handed action. I am tempted to build or buy a 6.5 PRC or 7mm Sherman Max. You know, a medium action magnum that could be loaded long for maximum case capacity with long for caliber bullets near the lands. Another option would be to build a 300 win mag. Can I shoot the 215 berger loaded long out of a Tikka? In short, school me on the pros and cons of building on a Tikka action.

I not sure, but short action and long action is the same you just need to change out the bolt stop. I don't have a long action magazine to measure I don't know the answer to your question? Sorry.

Magazine is too short on oem Tikka bottom metal. Worked up great load for my son's .300 win Mag, but could only load it single shot, Barnes 180TTSX was too long

I am left handed and I have considered getting a Tikka rebarreled to a long-throated, fast twist 300 WSM, then add a HCA magazine to shoot 215 gr Bergers or 199 gr Hammer Hunters.

I am lefty and went down that road and am please with results. I bought a lefty tikka 300 wm. Pulled the barrel and had straightjacket armory true the action and chamber up a proof in sendero contour with 7mm sherman max, had lri flute the bolt, yo dave trigger upgrade, mesa precision altitude stock, hca mags seating in factory bottom metal, and just received my nomad 30 ti to finish it off along with a matte black cerakote. I am shooting the 177 gr hammer hunters with great results and the combo of room in the action and hca mags give plenty of room to seat as long as needed.

I love mine!

Nothing wrong with a Tikka action straight from the factory or reworked by a smith as you and others have described. My Tikka action is smooth as silk and the gun is sub moa all day, factory or hand loads. Sounds like you are going to rebarrel it so even better.

My lady is southpaw. I have her rifle set up as a switch barrel between a 6gt for target/competition use with a heavy long barrel in a krg bravo, for hunting its a long action magazine in jcs stock in 284 win. The Tikka is a great action for its modularity. The single stack factory mags work great for hunting. I personally would stay away from the 7max as ADG is now going to have 7mm wsm brass this year. I have the max on a 26" pipe and performance has been disappointing, def less than advertised. I think the proof barrel has something to do with it, however I've had so many guys claim thay proofs are the best barrels mad, I claim they are far from it.

So I am left eye dominant and learned to shoot right handed but I would like to switch to left handed shooting. I have already converted to left handed archery. Anyway, I have never owned a Tikka and wanted to better understand the Tikka action as they make a stainless left handed action. I am tempted to build or buy a 6.5 PRC or 7mm Sherman Max. You know, a medium action magnum that could be loaded long for maximum case capacity with long for caliber bullets near the lands. Another option would be to build a 300 win mag. Can I shoot the 215 berger loaded long out of a Tikka? In short, school me on the pros and cons of building on a Tikka action.
That's easy first try to find a left hand Tikka then worry about witch caliber to shoot.

I am left handed and I have considered getting a Tikka rebarreled to a long-throated, fast twist 300 WSM, then add a HCA magazine to shoot 215 gr Bergers or 199 gr Hammer Hunters.
I think that's a great idea. I built a 300 WSM recently and I am developing a load for the 199 HH but both the magazine and the throat are too short. Really limiting the potential for that caliber. Should have gone with a Tikka snd deep throat.
That's easy first try to find a left hand Tikka then worry about witch caliber to shoot.
just found one!

I am lefty and went down that road and am please with results. I bought a lefty tikka 300 wm. Pulled the barrel and had straightjacket armory true the action and chamber up a proof in sendero contour with 7mm sherman max, had lri flute the bolt, yo dave trigger upgrade, mesa precision altitude stock, hca mags seating in factory bottom metal, and just received my nomad 30 ti to finish it off along with a matte black cerakote. I am shooting the 177 gr hammer hunters with great results and the combo of room in the action and hca mags give plenty of room to seat as long as needed.

I love mine!
This is exactly what I was thinking. I just found a lefty Tikka. unfortunately it is in a 6.5 needmore. Probably good to shoot for targets and practice as I adjust to left handed shooting, but once I start hunting with it I will want to re-chamber it in a short mag. If not the 7mm sherman max, then in the 7 mm WSM. if factory brass is available rather than fire forming, that is my preference. I would love to work up a great hammer hunter load.

My understanding is that I will need to change the bolt head switching from the 6.5 creedmore to the 7 mm WSM as well as possibly the magazine as well, however I should be able to chamber it to accept bullets loaded very long to maximize case capacity and get near the lands. hopefully I can get a long magazine as well to accomodate longer than SAMMI reloads.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I just found a lefty Tikka. unfortunately it is in a 6.5 needmore. Probably good to shoot for targets and practice as I adjust to left handed shooting, but once I start hunting with it I will want to re-chamber it in a short mag. If not the 7mm sherman max, then in the 7 mm WSM. if factory brass is available rather than fire forming, that is my preference. I would love to work up a great hammer hunter load.

My understanding is that I will need to change the bolt head switching from the 6.5 creedmore to the 7 mm WSM as well as possibly the magazine as well, however I should be able to chamber it to accept bullets loaded very long to maximize case capacity and get near the lands. hopefully I can get a long magazine as well to accomodate

My understanding is that I will need to change the bolt head switching from the 6.5 creedmore to the 7 mm WSM as well as possibly the magazine as well, however I should be able to chamber it to accept bullets loaded very long to maximize case capacity and get near the lands. hopefully I can get a long magazine as well to accomodate longer than SAMMI reloads.
I think Shaen Rifles can open your standard bolt face up.

Dang. Sounds like it's about $400 to replace the standard bolt with a magnum bolt. That's almost half the cost of the whole gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.