Left Handed and found a Rem. 700 in .270, what can I rebarrel it to without changing the action

GFO127

I hope you guys can help me out please. I am a left handed shooter, and left handed Remington 700's are pretty hard to come by. I just found one and bought it, but it's a .270 and not interested in keeping it a .270. My questions are what can I change the caliber to without changing the action? Sorry if I am asking this wrong but pretty new to the bolt action world and only shoot the .308 now. I want to keep the long action, and the bolt as well. I will restock and rebarrel, and want to put in a bottom metal with removable mags, 5-10 rd, or just get a stock this way. If you guys can help me that would be greatly appreciated. Also is it worth it? Oh and one more thing, I was wounded in Iraq and I injured my spine, right arm, and right leg quite badly so I can't handle a lot of weight or recoil, but want long distance. Thanks in advance for all your help.

SSG G. OUT
"Death Waits in the Dark":D

Last edited:
Re: Left Handed and found a Rem. 700 in .270, what can I rebarrel it to without changing the ac

I'd strongly recommend the 280AI for the purposes you described, or you take a deep look at the high - performance rounds in 6,5. So you get what you want and can stay with the standard action. BTW, the 270W is a superb round itself and equipped with the right bullets it's capable for long shots. But maybe you should simply upgrade to 270AI, and it will fill the bill. :)

Re: Left Handed and found a Rem. 700 in .270, what can I rebarrel it to without changing the ac

The .270 Win. and the .280 cartridges can have a pretty sharp recoil. Depends on how your physical condition, of course. The 6mm Rem. and 6mm AI both work great in a LA and should feed reliably from a AI magazine. I shoot a 6mm AI and it's a formatable LR round. Mine wears a 7 twist Hart Bbl. and launches 107SMK and 115 DTAC @ respectable velocities. The 25/06 and its AI version may be an option for you as well as the .257AI. The more bullet weight you launch, the heavier the recoil.

Depending on how much recoil you can take. Look into the 6.5 Sherman or a 25-06AI. The 25-06AI will take deer out to 700 yds and the Sherman out to 1000 yds easily depending on bullet choice. Put a brake on either of these and recoil would be light. My Sherman is braked but my 25-06AI is not.

Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of being left handed :D I am Outlaw the club president lol

But seriously, first & foremost, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for your service & sacrifice to this country & those of us who hold our service members close to our hearts. THANK YOU.

With the injuries you've incurred, how much weight can you tolerate lugging around? As always, weight helps mitigate recoil. In your situation, I highly recommend a brake or suppressor. We can also add a mercury reducer if necessary.

What are you going to be shooting at? Paper? Steel? Big Critter? Little Critters?

How many rounds would you like to get out of your throat?

I run a Rem 700 long action (lefty of course) in 6mm-284 from an HS Precision detachable magazine (4-rounds). It feeds well enough & offers about all the usable performance you can gain from the 6mm bore. Velocity from a 107SMK is in the 3500fps area with suprisingly light recoil & great brass life from the Lapua cases. Bore life probably won't reach 1500 rounds, high cost for high performance.

You can rock the x284 pretty much as far as you care to shoot a 6mm on targets but, IMHO, you need to keep Critter Killin' inside 1000 with such a light bullet.

My next choice would be a 6.5 of some sort. You can roll 6.5-06 very easily or with a little extra effort, the 6.5-06AI which is also an excellent choice. (The 6.5 Sherman is a similar cartridge with some changes).

With your situation, I don't know I would recommend a going larger than 6.5mm without adding weight & such. As bullet diameter & weight go up, so does recoil, there is no free lunch in our sport.

t

GFO, not knowing your use for this rifle, just killing deer, open it up to .270AI. Perhaps a brake and a soft pad for what ever your caliber choice? If you don't reload some of the more exotic calibers may get pricey buying ammo if it can be found. Good luck

The 280 or the 280 AI is always a good choice for all round hunting because of bullet selection,(90
to 190 grains. Recoil is not an issue, but can be handled with a good muzzle brake and/or light bullets.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/bolt-face-diameters-36661/

Barrel life is very good and accuracy can be phenomenal. and it would require No action work.

J E CUSTOM

Question, do you reload or going to just use factory rounds? 25-06 would be a good choice for factory ammo. If you reload a 260 or 260ai would be able to use a longer bullet.

Hi.
I am a lefty too and found myself in the exact position as you. I had a Rem 700 BDL in .270 but wanted something a little different.

I found a used, right hand, H-S Precision long action stock. This was converted by filling the right handed bolt handle cut out with devcon and cutting a left hand slot with a dremel. This was then Hydro Dipped in Satin Carbon Fibre Finish.

My smith fitted a Lilja, 26", fluted, sendero profile barrel chambered in 30-06 AI.
A Leupold 8.5x25x50 LRT sat in Tier One Rings and Picatinny base was sat on top.
A very accurate rifle. 61 grains of N160 and a 168 grain A-Max shoots bug holes.

I hope you have as much fun building yours as I did mine.

Brit.

Leave it as a .270 W for a while, you may learn to love it.

Any of the mauser, 308, or '06 based cartridges will work fine in your lh m700 in 270.

If you want harder hitting a 35 whelen or 338-06ai may be up your alley.

If you want fast and a good deer killer, a variant of the 6.5-06 or the 25-06 will work well.

For anything up to mid range elk, I'd take a hard look at the 280 or 280ai, and if you don't like what you see, look again. They are both great at what they do. My brother is a die hard 280 guy and has one of each.

Jerry is correct that the 270 has a lot going for it also... I have two rifles in 270 at present and I concur.

The biggest thing you are looking for is a .473" base on the cartridge.

I have the same conundrum as you at present; I found a lh lss m700 in '06 a while back for a song but have little interest in the '06 since I already have a browning lh ss in 300win and a m700lh bdl in 300rum. Time will tell what she becomes, but at present the rifle is doing well with a load I shot in the '06 I had in high school 20 years ago. Go figure.

I wanted to thank everybody for the posts, your advice, and all your help with the .270. Recoil and weight are both an issue for my with all my injuries to answer some questions, so not quite sure where that leaves me yet. I would be shooting steel, paper, and hunting with the rifle, so would like a round that can take down up to a deer size animal, and hit paper and steel with good accuracy and not a lot of weight in the rifle or a lot of recoil. Do you guys think 25-06 would be the way to go then? Oh and I am not set up to reload yet either so that might be an issue as well. Final thoughts gentlemen?

Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of being left handed :D I am Outlaw the club president lol

But seriously, first & foremost, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for your service & sacrifice to this country & those of us who hold our service members close to our hearts. THANK YOU.

With the injuries you've incurred, how much weight can you tolerate lugging around? As always, weight helps mitigate recoil. In your situation, I highly recommend a brake or suppressor. We can also add a mercury reducer if necessary.

What are you going to be shooting at? Paper? Steel? Big Critter? Little Critters?

How many rounds would you like to get out of your throat?

I run a Rem 700 long action (lefty of course) in 6mm-284 from an HS Precision detachable magazine (4-rounds). It feeds well enough & offers about all the usable performance you can gain from the 6mm bore. Velocity from a 107SMK is in the 3500fps area with suprisingly light recoil & great brass life from the Lapua cases. Bore life probably won't reach 1500 rounds, high cost for high performance.

You can rock the x284 pretty much as far as you care to shoot a 6mm on targets but, IMHO, you need to keep Critter Killin' inside 1000 with such a light bullet.

My next choice would be a 6.5 of some sort. You can roll 6.5-06 very easily or with a little extra effort, the 6.5-06AI which is also an excellent choice. (The 6.5 Sherman is a similar cartridge with some changes).

With your situation, I don't know I would recommend a going larger than 6.5mm without adding weight & such. As bullet diameter & weight go up, so does recoil, there is no free lunch in our sport.

Outlaw, thank you very much for the kind words. It's always nice to hear that people are still remembering and haven't forgotten the sacrifice all of us service members both past and present have made to keep our great country free.

I will be shooting paper, steel, and nothing above a deer size animal for hunting with this one. I can't handle a ton of recoil or weight so not sure where that leaves me? Final thoughts or suggestions? Oh and I am not reloading yet, need to get a little better and get the basement all set up for my gun room before I start, so I am sure that will play a lot into what I can turn it into? Thanks again for all your help

The 280 or the 280 AI is always a good choice for all round hunting because of bullet selection,(90
to 190 grains. Recoil is not an issue, but can be handled with a good muzzle brake and/or light bullets.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/bolt-face-diameters-36661/

Barrel life is very good and accuracy can be phenomenal. and it would require No action work.

J E CUSTOM

J E, thanks for the bolt face diameter link it was helpful too. I am worried with the .280 or .280AI that the recoil will be too much with my injuries? Also I can't carry a heavy rifle for any distance either due to my spine injuries, but I still can shoot and do whenever I feel good! I would love to have a lightweight rifle I can use for hunts that take me out far enough to have to camp for a few days etc. Any thoughts on something like that? I also don't reload at this point so would have to be something factory with a good barrel life for now, untl I get a little more stable injury wise and can set everything up. Thanks again for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.