Left Hand Action for Custom Build Sheep Rifle

lgraham

I want to build myself a new sheep rifle and had a couple of questions? First, I was wondering which action would be best for a custom build sheep rifle in left hand? Has to be short action ( I've chosen 7mm-08 or 7mm-08 AI as my caliber of choice but am open to other suggestions). I keep hearing of the 700 Ti but can't find anything about them being available in left hand. Anyhow, I would prefer a stainless action as I live in Alaska and a rifle is very exposed to the elements on a mountain hunt up here. Second, which barrel (stainless also) would be best for a 7mm-08 (make, length, twist rate... etc.) Obviously as a mountain hunting rifle I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible, however not so much as to limit my accuracy (I still would like to be able to shoot out to 600 yards, I was thinking of maybe a 24" barrel). Finally any recommendations on a good lightweight left hand stock? As well as this I also want to add a timney or jewel trigger. I would like to keep the price down as much as possible too. (yes, I know custom and cheap don't go together but I was thinking buy doing this myself I could save a little) Also is it really worth building a custom gun or am I just gonna spend a bunch of money on a rifle that sounds a little cooler but shoots the same as a factory gun in the end?
Thanks for any advise,
Luke

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in left hand 6.5 x 55 or 7-08.

Light, robust, accurate, slick action and good value for money.

Cheers,

Matt

My first choice was to get a Tikka 7mm-08 in left hand. Unfortunately I could not find anyone who imports one to the U.S., thus the decision to build. If anyone knows of a way to get ahold of a Left hand Stainless Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks,
Luke

I want to build myself a new sheep rifle and had a couple of questions? First, I was wondering which action would be best for a custom build sheep rifle in left hand? Has to be short action ( I've chosen 7mm-08 or 7mm-08 AI as my caliber of choice but am open to other suggestions). I keep hearing of the 700 Ti but can't find anything about them being available in left hand. Anyhow, I would prefer a stainless action as I live in Alaska and a rifle is very exposed to the elements on a mountain hunt up here. Second, which barrel (stainless also) would be best for a 7mm-08 (make, length, twist rate... etc.) Obviously as a mountain hunting rifle I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible, however not so much as to limit my accuracy (I still would like to be able to shoot out to 600 yards, I was thinking of maybe a 24" barrel). Finally any recommendations on a good lightweight left hand stock? As well as this I also want to add a timney or jewel trigger. I would like to keep the price down as much as possible too. (yes, I know custom and cheap don't go together but I was thinking buy doing this myself I could save a little) Also is it really worth building a custom gun or am I just gonna spend a bunch of money on a rifle that sounds a little cooler but shoots the same as a factory gun in the end?
Thanks for any advise,
Luke
If it were me, given your criteria I'd look for a Model 70 LH or Model 700 LH short action and build a .260 Rem on it.

Either action can be found reasonablly priced and trued up/blue printed by a long list of good custom smiths.

Do a 26" bbl that tapers down to around .750 (midway between Remington Sendero and Magnum Sporter) and that will help with stability and then look to the B&C or HS Precision light weight stocks with the full length aluminum bedding blocks.

You should be able to put together a great little mountain rig that way coming in at 7lbs or less but still sturdy enough for the long shots.

On the other hand....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...h-vortex-6-5-20x50-scope-custom-turret-82223/

Great rifle, great caliber, already scoped and ready to shoot, just stick it in a light weight kevlar stock. If you want an "all weather" model, get it cerakoted.

All that and a box of cracker jacks and you are ready to go for under $1,700.00.

In the lefty world that's a hell of a deal!

Kinda apples to oranges but I can see where your coming from wildrose.

That left hand Sako 280AI is the ducks guts, but a fair bit of coin.

But it's a lot of good quality equipment for the price. If you had to build that rig from the components it would cost a lot more.

Shame about the Tikka though, they are arguably the best value for money new rifle available - Sako manufacturing on a budget.

Welcome the wonderful world of being left handed, pain in the rear isn't it:D

Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes) has/had a run of rebadged LH Stiller Predators in stock for a fantastic price ~$650 w/lug. They had long action .308 BF & short action mag BF (I picked up one of the SA). Heck of a way start a custom rifle. With the way our selection was limited (it's getting better) I started with upgrading a factory rifle (was never happy), then completely rebuilding the factory rifle & now just buying a custom action & building a rifle from scratch.

If you look in the Gun Pics thread here, you will see the 6mm somethingorother posted by SBruce, he used a carbon fiber stock that looks good & should save some weight. As for barrels, put all the major manufacturers on a piece of paper & throw a dart at it. Yeah, they are all that good... Kreiger, Rock, Brux seem to be brought up a lot, I just got my 31" Obermeyer in the mail yesterday for my 6.5wsm...

Stiller for the action...and Stocky's can dig up a drop in left hand stock for you. Put a Jewell trigger in it and your ready to lock and load partner

Welcome the wonderful world of being left handed, pain in the rear isn't it:D

Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes) has/had a run of rebadged LH Stiller Predators in stock for a fantastic price ~$650 w/lug. They had long action .308 BF & short action mag BF (I picked up one of the SA). Heck of a way start a custom rifle. With the way our selection was limited (it's getting better) I started with upgrading a factory rifle (was never happy), then completely rebuilding the factory rifle & now just buying a custom action & building a rifle from scratch.

If you look in the Gun Pics thread here, you will see the 6mm somethingorother posted by SBruce, he used a carbon fiber stock that looks good & should save some weight. As for barrels, put all the major manufacturers on a piece of paper & throw a dart at it. Yeah, they are all that good... Kreiger, Rock, Brux seem to be brought up a lot, I just got my 31" Obermeyer in the mail yesterday for my 6.5wsm...

I can't see any $650 actions on there site and nothing that denotes left hand. Could u provide a link or contact info where u found this?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.