Left hand 30 nosler build

BA33

Hi, looking for some advice on an elk rifle build. I'm interested in building a 30 Nosler +P with a 22 inch barrel. If anyone has experience with this round do you think I will be able to achieve the 3100 node with 215 bergers?
Thank you

Hi, looking for some advice on an elk rifle build. I'm interested in building a 30 Nosler +P with a 22 inch barrel. If anyone has experience with this round do you think I will be able to achieve the 3100 node with 215 bergers?
Thank you
30N +P?? First time I have heard that designation.

IMO - use at least a 24"bbl and prefer a 25 or 26. If you want to get to 3100 with a 210 or larger, you will need the bbl length to get that fps. Additionally, that short a bbl with that speed requirement will likely burn your throat so fast, it will wear out your bbl in 800 rounds.

I have had the rifle since 2014 and run a carbon 25 inch bbl and a 210 ablr at 3092 and have room to push however that is a .29 MOA node so there it stays.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Burning 100 grains of powder in a short barrel is kind defeating the whole purpose of rounds like the 30 Nosler, 7RUM and the like. I agree with JM, if you want the speed you are targeting with that heavy a bullet you need the longer barrel. To perhaps clarify what JM said, throat erosion is strictly the result of the amount of powder burned, barrel length isn't usually a factor, except to the extent you may have to add a lot more powder to get the speed you want out of the short barrel.

I too am a lefty, I also like short barrels on my hunting rifles, and I llike light guns for packing in the hills. That said, I use a cartridge that works with 20" barrels in 5 LB guns. For my big boomers like the 7RUM, 338-378 and the like, I use 26-28" barrels on heavier guns and put up with the extra effort to pack them around.

Last edited:
I'm shooting an 18.5" barrel 30 Nosler in my Remington XP-100. My chamber is cut with a JGS reamer to my specs. I'm getting 2800-2850 FPS with Berger 210 VLDH's.

Your longer barrel will likely be about 100-125 FPS faster

Thank you

My 30 Nosler rifle may be a bit slow but a max load of Retumbo with the Berger 215 only yielded 3,000 fps and that's with a 26" barrel.

Last edited:
I just sold a 26 inch 30 nosler built on a sammi spec reamer.

With H1k and 215 / 230s I maxed out at 3050 with best accuracy at 2980 on both bullets.
I was maxed out on case capacity with H1k and a drop tube.

If built on a custom throated reamer for the 215s you'll gain a couple grains capacity and using a hotter powder would both increase what I saw.

You may still be case limited and may want to consider a 300 rum or norma mag.

FWIW, I'm building a 30-28 nosler on a 24 inch barrel. I too wanted a 22 but never had a goal of the speed you're looking for. I'm looking for a lighter more compact model. I just couldn't make myself go 22 with all that case capacity in the end.

You have received 7 great answers to your question. Is it possible maybe, is it practical or safe no. Sounds like the perfect setup for a 300 WSM throated for the 215s. You will be surprised at how little velocity you loose with a lot less powder.
The 22" 30 Nos will still be about 150 fps faster than a 300 wsm of the same length. Someone threw 100 grains of power out there but with a 215 the nosler is using low 80s.
Thank you
If 3100 is your goal the RUM will do it.
Don't let anyone tell you a 26" barrel is needed for a big magnum cuz it's not.

Follow up - I have been running this rifle for 8 years. I am now on my second barrel running the 210 ablr the entire time. I run an 8.44 twist.
Since you stated you are still developing your build a few recommendations to F/U
  • At least a 24" bbl
  • At least a 9 twist
  • Standard box but even better if you can do an extended
  • I also have a 300 RUM and the 30N is more efficient and I get the same FPS in that case with less powder
  • Have also run 300 Norma and 7mm 300 Norma improved. The 30N case is the most efficient. Not the fastest when compared to the others but the best all around case for bug bullets IMO when factoring in ALL of the variations and needs - def better than short case 30s IMO in all aspects. This may open a can of worms but I also have a 300 PRC that didnt offer me anything better than current 30 nosler so I turned that into a 7mm/300 PRC and got what I needed
  • Tested H1000, Retumbo and N570 - Ret and 570 give the best velocities
  • Current load = 83.8 grains RET - CCI250 primer - ADG Brass - 210 ablr and getting .29 groups at 3098 fps. Also had a good node with 84.4 grains but was just starting to see the beginnings of pressure so backed it down to lower node.

Have built and run pretty much all of them, back to the original 300 WSM and some of the other short action stuff. 30N is my personal sweet spot...maybe not someone else's but there it is. Need anything, reach out any time.

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpeg
    IMG_3404.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 23