lee reloading manual 260 rem

airstream

So I can not find data on my exact desired components " 100gr Hornady soft point @ IMR 4350 "

Powder Co list other bullet weights
Bullet Co list other powder combinations

The Lee manual has the recipes listed under " 100 gr jacketed bullet "
Is it safe to assume that this would be creditable data?

42.3 min 45 max

I am not interested in finding max velocity, only accuracy for small game and cheap target shooting. 140 grain Noslers are $$$

42.0 gr of that powder with that bullet gives you 2946 fps

45.0 grs ..same bullet....gives you 3077 fps

Not much dif for 3 grs of powder

The chamber pressure on ALL of the loads of 4350 are rather high

260target100grnosler.jpg

With 100% fill IMR4350 will put 45.3 gr in a 260, and get 50kpsi and 3000 fps with a 260.

The 260 was registered in 1997 at 60 kpsi, even though the 22-260, 6mm, and 270 are registered at 65kpsi and use the same 1889 Mauser case head built with a large Boxer primer.

I would run the 260 with 45 gr IMR4895 100 gr. QL predicts 61kpsi and 3261 fps, I chronograph 3236 fps with 22" barrel.

Thank you fellas, I am self taught and do not push for anything extreme, can I use 42.5gr----45gr of IMR 4350 With a 100 gr Hornady soft tip, saftley?

Relax Air. In spite of frequent loud howls otherwise, all reloading data is generic by bullet weight and powder type anyway. If we had to have specific data for each bullet we use there are a LOT of bullets we couldn't shoot! And there is nothing we can change to any book data that will equal the effect of the individual guns anyway.

We take care of legitimate differences in guns AND components by following ONE RULE; "Start low and slowly work up to book max unless you encounter high pressure indications early." If we DO get over pressure signs we stop and back up no matter what the book says. Do that intelligently and you will be fine no matter what bullet you use, ignore it and no book info will keep you safe.

Relax Air. In spite of frequent loud howls otherwise, all reloading data is generic by bullet weight and powder type anyway. If we had to have specific data for each bullet we use there are a LOT of bullets we couldn't shoot! And there is nothing we can change to any book data that will equal the effect of the individual guns anyway.

We take care of legitimate differences in guns AND components by following ONE RULE; "Start low and slowly work up to book max unless you encounter high pressure indications early." If we DO get over pressure signs we stop and back up no matter what the book says. Do that intelligently and you will be fine no matter what bullet you use, ignore it and no book info will keep you safe.

Amen brother!

Alternatively, sometimes you can get to what the book calls a max load and not have any pressure signs. At that point, go up slowly (1% or smaller increments) if you intend to try to find the maximum load.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.