Lee priming tools

Whitetail Hunter

I have a Lee hand priming tool the directions say that not to use Federal primers they may explode. Can anyone agree or disagree with this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Never have figured that one out either... mine has loaded 1300 federal 210m and 300 210 primers without incident. I rarely load more than 20 of any primer into the hopper at once though regaurdless of make or model.

Craig I've used mine on thousands of federal primers with only an occasional problem. For some reason you can get A batch with a few cups that are taller than normal which keeps the primer from sliding into place.I just jiggle the priming tool while I'm reaching for the next case. 7mmrhb

Craig
I also use the federal primers in the Lee hand tool.
I think there was a few cases where the primers went off in the tool, maybe static, loose powder or pinched primer?? and some law suits. but only federal primers.
I try to limit the amount of primers in the tray, keep the tray clean and tip the tool away from my face to seat the primer.
There was a problem or two and if you do a search I think there was a member here that had it happen to them.

good luck CAM

thanks for all of your inputs. That makes me feel better when the experienced have had few if any problems with this tool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

There has been several documented cases of fed primers going of in the lee tool.

Note that the only guys that have had problems are missing fingers and not posting here.

I use the RCBS tool with feds, cost is about $20 also.

BH

BountyHunter has a good point! Why take a chance for only $20 We could get one thats safe for the federal primers.

CAM

[ QUOTE ]
There has been several documented cases of fed primers going of in the lee tool.

Note that the only guys that have had problems are missing fingers and not posting here.

I use the RCBS tool with feds, cost is about $20 also.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I had always treated the "lee autoprime and federal primers" the same way I did the "haloween candy and razor blades" thing... never seen it happen, and never heard of anybody who has had it happen, or known anybody that it happened to so I figured it was marketing hype or something...
Bounty hunter, ever hear any theories as to why federal primers and not any else?
BTW, bounty hunters word is good enough for me to anybody who cares... ill be picking up a RCBS hand primer on my run into town friday.

One of the 1k br shooters at one of the matches was talking about his going boom in his hand. No real damage other some burns and needing change of underwear.

He said underwear and drycleaning was more than the RCBS tool.

That is classified as a "significant emotional event"!!

BH

I've been using the Lee tool I think since it was invented. I have never had one detonate. I always load it with the full 100 primers too. I also have made every mistake you can with one. I have seated primers upside down, on their sides and even tried to seat two in the same case. When I was a kid we used to put primers on the work bench and whack them with a hammer just to hear them go off. (We quit doing that due to expense and now just stick to Acetylene/Oxygen bombs for making big bangs in the shop.) I can't imagine one doing anything more than get crap in your eye or ring your ear if you were close enough. I have even deprimed live ones. They really are pretty hard to set off. I have center punched them with a 22LR while seated in a shotgun shell on a fence post and they still didn't go off. Even the thin pistol primers you can't take much pressure off of a Smith & Wesson hammer spring and still reliably ignite them. I don't buy it primers going off in a Lee tool. I will continue to use mine with oblivious confidence.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.