Leaving a lot of the 22-250 on cutting room floor

KyCarl

LRH Team Member
DSC00006 wheeler 22-250.JPG I'm not at all interested in parting it out! Action or complete rifle the price is the same! I would be tempted a lot more by good trades!
A 280 AI of equal quality..Good glass..Gold/Silver ( spot day of trade)..Colt Snakes. .. 1911's..Nice Shotguns...What have you?

Last edited:

pickens72

I agree. I’m currently gathering parts for a 22:250AI on a 1:9.5 @ 26” to shoot 95 - 100 grainers.
Figure 3200 - 3400 fps comes out @ 240,000 to 257,000 RPM. The 224 Valkyrie (a name that may not be spoken) seems to derive much of its issues from RPM.
I think 9:1 might be to fast for anything under 100 grainers. 9.5-10 seems to be the number for me for 95-100. 80-90s are probably better at 10:1-10.5:1.

I always try to get my rpms to 230-250k to determine twist for LR. Caliber/rpm is also a factor for me. Bigger. Slower.

My question is what rifling? I’m afraid of the 3 groove for jacket stress.

Anyone ever tried taper lapping? The 22 cal rim fire guys do it. Barrels are cheap so I’m thinking of trying it.
You will need a 7 twist to run 95s

KENNETH R BRACKENBURY

The 1-9 twist will just take care of the 75 gr bullets unless you slow them down then 80 grain is tops. You will need a 1-7 to shoot 95 gr. bullets. My Douglas barrel is 1-8 and I don't like the slower velocities with 80 gr. A-Max bullets. I like the 1-9 twist with 75 gr. A-Max running 3650 fps. Shoot as far is needed................1151 PD kill in SD. 700-800 yds is its favorite.

KR260

I have a Tikka Varmint in 223 with the factory 1-8 barrel. Using AICS mags and H4895 I run the 75gr ELDM at 3025 fps and it is flatter than my 6.5 with 140 ELDM out to 800 yards.
The rifle in my profile pic is a Tikka with a 1-7 Bartlein chambered in 22BR. I run the 88gr ELDM at 3004 fps with 27.3 gr of H4895. You can get 3050-3150 with Varget. If you keep it at 3050 or less, barrle life is 2500+. My next 223 barrel will be a 1-7 so I can play with the 80 and 88 ELDM. Might go 223AI.

pickens72

The 1-9 twist will just take care of the 75 gr bullets unless you slow them down then 80 grain is tops. You will need a 1-7 to shoot 95 gr. bullets. My Douglas barrel is 1-8 and I don't like the slower velocities with 80 gr. A-Max bullets. I like the 1-9 twist with 75 gr. A-Max running 3650 fps. Shoot as far is needed................1151 PD kill in SD. 700-800 yds is its favorite.
I have had good luck with the 77tmk in a 9 twist 22/250 run them 3350. Shoots really well.

7Footer

JSKI- I was in your exact shoes about 10 years ago. I started shooting at distance hunting prairie dogs for a rancher that considered PD hunting on his land a favor. I was shooting my .204 Ruger with 40 gr bullets and was doing better than my friends with their 22-250's shooting 45 gr bullets when the dogs were out past 400 yards. That was when I figured out the benefits of BC over speed.
Around that time, I got a smokin deal on a used Savage 22-50 from a pawn shop that had the gun on the shelf too long. I picked it up on a whim because I couldn't pass up the deal and I was looking forward to a project gun. My original plan was to re-barrel the gun with another 22-250 because all indications (bluing worn off on the bolt handle, worn out checkering on the stock, etc) were that the barrel was probably shot out. Because I was looking at a new barrel anyway, I considered an 1:8 twist barrel with a 22-250 chamber but after a lot of research and some optimism based on ignorance, I decided to go with my first wildcat, and ordered a barrel from Shilen with their 22-243 chamber and 1:8 twist ratchet rifling, and have never looked back at the 22-250. Since I was not invested in dies or anything else in 22 caliber, I started from scratch with some Redding dies in 243 Win with a neck bushing die. I worked up some loads for the 80 gr A-Max bullets and had very good accuracy with decent velocity (3500 to 3550 fps using H4831sc) but I stayed away from the Berger 90's due to their recommended 1:7 twist. Last year, I decided to spend the money and get a box of those Berger 90s just to see how they might do, with the hope that they would stabilize with the slower 1:8 twist barrel thinking that the faster speed would produce a high enough rpm. I reduced my load and chrony'd that batch at 3420 fps with very good accuracy. One of the bullets blew up on its way to the steel, so I might back off the load a bit. I have also shot the 88 gr ELDM's with excellent results and about the same velocity as the Bergers.
Long story, I know - and I'm not trying to steer anyone in any particular direction, but with the 80 gr ELDM's (Hornady stopped making the Amax's in 80gr) I was getting a G1 BC of .485 at 3500 fps and hitting my 12" steel plate at 1150 yards all day. With the 88 gr ELDMs I can shoot a G1 BC of .545 at 3400 fps.
My shooting buddies with their 22-250's can't get the PD's that this gun will reach, and needless to say the results of an 80 gr bullet vs a PD are remarkable. At long ranges, the 22-250s are just knocking the PD's over, but the 22-243 is still launching them into orbit. One other benefit of building my gun was chosing a heavy barrel, adding an APA brake, and I made a heavy stock, making it a heavy beast, so I actually have less felt recoil than the other 22-250's and I get to watch all of my hits (and misses of course) through my scope, something the lighter rifles can't manage.
Anyway - hope this story was helpful.

jski

This is from:
https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/22-250/

.22-250 Recommended Twist Rates
The .22-250 shoots a wide range of bullets very effectively, from 35gr flat-based varmint bullets, to ultra-long 90gr VLDs. However, you’ll need the right twist rate for your choice of bullet. For max velocity and accuracy with the lightest bullets, a 1:14″ twist may be ideal. More versatile is a 1:12″ twist that will allow you to shoot the popular 60-64 grain match bullets. For normal lead-core jacketed bullets, a true 1:9″ twist will let you shoot up to 75gr bullets (except some longer VLDs). The Hornady 75gr BTHP shoots very well in a 9-twist .22-250. Since most .22-250 Rem shooters prefer bullets in the 50-73gr range, a good “do-it-all” solution is a 9-twist.

Overall, what twist rate is best? For all-around use, including 500-600 yard ground hog matches, we like a 9-twist. That will let you shoot some pretty-high-BC bullets at long range without “choking” the lighter bullets too much. If you don’t plan to shoot at long range, a 12-twist barrel will do the job. The slower twist will give you a bit more velocity, and minimize the risk of jacket failure at high rpms. That’s one reason why the majority of factory .22-250 rifles are sold with 1:12″ twist barrels. Savage does offer some 9-twist barrel options. That’s nice if you shoot in windy conditions and need to stabilize a longer bullet. If you plan to use your .22-250 for across the course (high power) competition, you’ll want to use the 77-80 grain boat-tail match bullets. For those, we suggest an 8-twist barrel (as long as it is a true 1:8″ twist). That will let you shoot the excellent 77gr and 80gr Sierra MatchKings, and 80gr Bergers.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce