Fed-215 primer
3.680" oal
3393 fps average

169 gr Hammer Hunter
96.0 gr Retumbo
Fed-215 primer
3.610" oal
3495 fps average

Kirby is very concerned that we keep the load density over 90% on this case or we risk a very dangerous situation. He's afraid the H4350 won't be able to reach that load density and therefore be unsafe. He hasn't tried it yet himself, so doesn't want to be absolute about it. Anyone try this before? Or something similar in this size case?

Here's what Kirby tested with:

172 gr. Absolute hammer
96.0 gr Retumbo
Fed-215 primer
3.680" oal
3393 fps average

169 gr Hammer Hunter
96.0 gr Retumbo
Fed-215 primer
3.610" oal
3495 fps average

Kirby is very concerned that we keep the load density over 90% on this case or we risk a very dangerous situation. He's afraid the H4350 won't be able to reach that load density and therefore be unsafe. He hasn't tried it yet himself, so doesn't want to be absolute about it. Anyone try this before? Or something similar in this size case?
I agree with him completely but I'm betting you can get a 90% case fill with H4350 and I'm doubting it's been done before but we are doing a ton of things that haven't been don before Hammers. That's the exciting part to me, Loader up and let her eat Brother

Here's what Kirby tested with:

172 gr. Absolute hammer
96.0 gr Retumbo
Fed-215 primer
3.680" oal
3393 fps average

169 gr Hammer Hunter
96.0 gr Retumbo
Fed-215 primer
3.610" oal
3495 fps average

I side with Kirby. There is a difference between testing loads and asking for trouble. If Kirby Allen, a man that is a wealth of been there, done that wildcat knowledge, is nervous about doing it, in the case that he himself designed and perfected.....it would be rather foolhardy to attempt it. H4350 is a hell of a long ways from Retumbo, and these big cases are not a place to try things way out of line. You may gain some velocity, or you may blow up your rifle that you likely waited 2 years and paid a lot of money for, if your lucky enough to walk away from it.

Trust the man that spent years of his life perfecting the cartridge. He really knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
I side with Kirby. There is a difference between testing loads and asking for trouble. If Kirby Allen, a man that is a wealth of been there, done that wildcat knowledge, is nervous about doing it, in the case that he himself designed and perfected.....it would be rather foolhardy to attempt it. H4350 is a hell of a long ways from Retumbo, and these big cases are not a place to try things way out of line. You may gain some velocity, or you may blow up your rifle that you likely waited 2 years and paid a lot of money for, if your lucky enough to walk away from it.

Trust the man that spent years of his life perfecting the cartridge. He really knows what he is doing.
Huh so you'd just sit on the sidelines ? How would you think Kirby got where he is today ? Start low and and see if its gonna work for Pete's sake, I didn't tell him to put a hundred grains in it

Huh so you'd just sit on the sidelines ? How would you think Kirby got where he is today ? Start low and and see if its gonna work for Pete's sake, I didn't tell him to put a hundred grains in it
What do you think the case fill % will be at a "safe" load of H4350 ? 100 grains is ~80% case fill

If I recall Steve ran US 869 in his 6.5 Lapua improved with a 137HH, that's about as slow a powder you can get

The man that designed the cartridge, and has already shot and done load developement with even lighter hammer bullets than is being talked about, advised against it, not simply because he thinks it wouldn't be an optimal powder, but because of major saftey concerns. That pretty much says what needs to be said......

The man that designed the cartridge, and has already shot and done load developement with even lighter hammer bullets than is being talked about, advised against it, not simply because he thinks it wouldn't be an optimal powder, but because of major saftey concerns. That pretty much says what needs to be said......
What would be the major concern? Seriously

Kirby wasn't quite like "no way"... He just didn't want to tell me to try it without having tried it himself. I'm not even sure what the total case capacity is on the 7 Allen, but I'm thinking maybe around 110? 90% of that would be 99 gr. I doubt I'll try it myself, as I'm not experienced enough for that kind of thing. Here's Kirby's words: "I recommend a powder that would get AT LEAST 90% load density and I do not think h4350 would work safely. I have not tested it so cannot say for sure, but until I do prove it safe, I cannot recommend. With conventional bullets, even lightweight bullets, it would be very dangerous."

Recent Posts