Least favorite hunting cartridge to handload for?

DJ Fergus

What's you least favorite hunting rifle cartridge to handload for among rifles owned and why?

What's you least favorite hunting rifle cartridge to handload for among rifles owned and why?
For me it is whatever rifle I own which just wont shoot well lol. I don't think cartridge really has much to do with it unless you decided to build a rifle which requires forming brass and then decided you do not like forming brass. Assuming a rifle "CAN" shoot as good as you want it to, then I think all cartridges are likely equal in terms of handloading. Again, this is assuming you aren't doing a wild cat which means you must form brass or something weird. Just my two cents.

I tend to agree with you. I think it's always about chamber and freebore/ throat dimensions along with making it work for what action length and magzine length you have. I guess I should have added to why the cartridge is your least favorite to load for: cartridge design itself, particular rifle configuration limitations or just never been able to get desired results from a rifle chambered in that particular cartridge.

I loaded for a 17 Rem on an original Rockchucker.
What a finger crunched that affair was.......would fumble with EVERY SINGLE BULLET when trying to seat them. I have largish hands, it was a real PITA.

Have had a hankering for another, but whenever I think of fumbling with every bullet, I put the thought aside........until the next time.

Cheers.

I share your frustration with the 17m Rem. I load my wife's Rem 700 in that caliber. She liked it better than the .308 I got for her. With large hands, I finally resorted to some electronics tweezers that hold the small pill. Saves the pinched fingers and dropped projectiles.

I share your frustration with the 17m Rem. I load my wife's Rem 700 in that caliber. She liked it better than the .308 I got for her. With large hands, I finally resorted to some electronics tweezers that hold the small pill. Saves the pinched fingers and dropped projectiles.

yea, I took a set of medical tweezers and modified the tips with a small pads.

Last edited:
Anything that I have to neck down. I hate wasting things and it seems that I ruin lots of good brass while trying to neck things down. Most recently I ruined several expensive pieces of Norma 300 SAUM brass trying to make 6.5 SAUM. It's stings at $2 per screw-up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts