Learning to slow down

As most have said, there is no replacement for proper technique, form, and trigger time. I also believe LR shooting to be a perishable skill. So as said above. Practice, Practice, Practice, in all environmental conditions, not just the bluebird days. Just my .02

OP,

I couldn't help but chime in on this and what I'm going to say is likely covered in some of the post above but hopefully from a slightly different approach. The thing that jumped out at me is "ballistics calculator".

When you go to the range the ideal situation is to go with only one purpose and goal in mind. Whether its to shoot groups, chronograph loads, obtain your dope, whatever you do go with the intent of doing that and that only. Know what you expect to do and how you will do it. If you must do more than one thing do them as separate processes and goals. For instance if you know you are shooting at range, run your calculator before hand and carry a range sheet with you. Going from shooter to data input technician and back are two totally different jobs and require totally different trains of thought as you have noticed. While your ballistic data may well be off, you can shoot and adjust (record) based on impact without breaking your position or train of thought. Save the truing to something done away from the range.

Similarly, if you are going to chronograph and shoot for groups, don't do both at the same time (unless you are using a Labradar or magneto speed). You don't want your mind switching from chronograph to group to chronograph.

There are also some things you can do to make your process more consistent. If you are shooting at long range, don't take that first shot at 800 or 1000 yds. Shoot at a comfortable range which is whatever you feel comfortable with, maybe even after some dry firing. You can think of something like this as proving out the system (rifle, ammunition, and shooter). Doing so will aid your confidence in both the rifle and yourself prior to going to the next step.

My best advice is to slow down, and don't be so hard on yourself. What you're doing is LEARNING! So learn...and enjoy the experience...slowly. Take a few minutes between shots analyze what happened on THAT SHOT make a small adjustment .....have a coffee every ten rounds....enjoy the Hell out what you're learning......HASTE MAKES WASTE! Now ...have a ☕...next lecture starts in 30 minutes!😉

OP, good for you to own the problem. Acknowledging our weaknesses is the first real step towards fixing them.... I've see guys struggle with the same issues for years because they're living in denial and always blaming other factors.
My suggestion is keep it simple- go to the range with a specific goal and concentrate on only that until you've achieved it. Too many times I've gone out with more than one rifle and returned home not really satisfied with anything I did.... but if I take one 1 rifle, with 1 intention I normally get success.

OP, good for you to own the problem. Acknowledging our weaknesses is the first real step towards fixing them.... I've see guys struggle with the same issues for years because they're living in denial and always blaming other factors.
My suggestion is keep it simple- go to the range with a specific goal and concentrate on only that until you've achieved it. Too many times I've gone out with more than one rifle and returned home not really satisfied with anything I did.... but if I take one 1 rifle, with 1 intention I normally get success.
X4million. Years back I had these high hopes of making my range trips more efficient by taking a bunch of guns. Disaster. I went down to 2, and better, but now 1 gun at a time!

Checklists are good.
Process is good.
Practice is good.
Progression is BETTER!
IF we learn by progression from the simple fundamentals working toward adding all the details and Nuance to our skill set we improve the quickest.
As an example: i learned how to land on long wide runways in the first 1/3, then I progressed to landing on the numbers, next came FCLPs (Field Carrier Landing Practice) done on a tiny patch of that long wide runway. Finally after a great deal of practice an HARD NOSED evaluations by the Instructor LSO (Landing Signal Officer) i was cleared to fly out to the Boat on a near perfect day to try my ingrained skills on the real thing. Was I done learning once I did those two touch & goes and six qualification (arrested landings) Traps. Not by a long shot. There was still learning to do it in weather and at NIGHT. Never got complacent when that Flight Deck heaved 12' up and down in Giant Seas when the wind howled in the North Atlantic.
Never GET RUSHED! Take the Go Round and come back for another pass.
In target shooting the best advice I ever got was you can add 100+ to your score by NOT taking shots! You know the ones when that little voice whispers, "Your NOT ready!"

My best advice is to slow down, and don't be so hard on yourself. What you're doing is LEARNING! So learn...and enjoy the experience...slowly. Take a few minutes between shots analyze what happened on THAT SHOT make a small adjustment .....have a coffee every ten rounds....enjoy the Hell out what you're learning......HASTE MAKES WASTE! Now ...have a ☕...next lecture starts in 30 minutes!😉
I agree with this. Take it easy on yourself. We all make mistakes, sometimes really silly ones. Those are okay, unsafe ones are not. One instructor told methat every time you handle a firearm is an opportunity for a training session. But don't make it soo difficult and overwhelming that you'll get frustrated. Sounds like you have good handle on what to do next. "Slow down" as you said. Another thing is try to make your sessions enjoyable again. If you find yourself getting frustrated again take a moment and step away. You be fine, have fun!

Checklists are good.
Process is good.
Practice is good.
Progression is BETTER!
IF we learn by progression from the simple fundamentals working toward adding all the details and Nuance to our skill set we improve the quickest.
As an example: i learned how to land on long wide runways in the first 1/3, then I progressed to landing on the numbers, next came FCLPs (Field Carrier Landing Practice) done on a tiny patch of that long wide runway. Finally after a great deal of practice an HARD NOSED evaluations by the Instructor LSO (Landing Signal Officer) i was cleared to fly out to the Boat on a near perfect day to try my ingrained skills on the real thing. Was I done learning once I did those two touch & goes and six qualification (arrested landings) Traps. Not by a long shot. There was still learning to do it in weather and at NIGHT. Never got complacent when that Flight Deck heaved 12' up and down in Giant Seas when the wind howled in the North Atlantic.
Never GET RUSHED! Take the Go Round and come back for another pass.
In target shooting the best advice I ever got was you can add 100+ to your score by NOT taking shots! You know the ones when that little voice whispers, "Your NOT ready!"
My hat is off to you Navy and Marine pilots. You are the bravest.