Lead vs mono 6.5 creed

snox801

ok guys I've always been a heavy lead for longer range stuff and minis for short range. This winter I took a oryx with my 6.5 creed 147 eld. 160 yards worked ok as those are thick animals.
I'm now pondering if maybe the 124 hammer hunter would be a better choice for me. It would be fast and very tough for pigs and anything I come upon. Also it should make it out to the 600 or so hard range I'd like to keep this rifle to.
So what would be the max range given The standard 1000 ftlbs. Between the 124 hammer hunters vs the 147 hornady. 99 percent of the game I take with this is under 500 and only try for varmits and pigs farther than that. So what are you thoughts.

I don't think that energy is nearly as important as impact vel. Properly twisted the Hammer Hunter will more than likely get through your Oryx even if you encounter bone or shoulder. Keep the 1800fps as your min vel and they will open fully just under the hide going in, deform properly, and exit the far side. They will always retain the same weight.

Steve

If it's edible game, the Hammer bullet, provided you retain the 1,800fps. I hate leaded shredded. Lead core are OK for completely broadside shots thru the center of ribs. They can be disgusting thru the muscles.
That's where I've arrived sometime between 1973 and now.

Last edited:
Only trade off will be bc. The heavier bullet will have better bc. Can't beat physics. Out to the usable distance of 600y. The faster better constructed bullets will do better. Plus the fact that they will have no trouble on a short shots. Also you will have a better point blank range with the the much faster bullet. You will be able to zero art 300 yards and hold hair to 400y. Much less meat damage so no worries about taking shoulder shots. There are more up sides to the Hammer Bullets than down sides compared to the leaf core bullets. The only place our bullet doesn't outperform is at the extreme ranges, which is most often father out than the practical ability of the shooter or the cartridge.

Steve

I'll add this. All of our bullets have tested to properly deform well below our advertised minimum vel. We advertise 1800fps because we believe it is a minimum for good humane kills. It is the only place we inflict our opinion on our customers. If someone wants to use Hammers below 1800fps then that person can figure out what vel they ate comfortable with. In other words, test them.

Steve

I am on the same line of thinking as you steve. I just wanted to ask smarter people than me opinions.
I'll be in contact this week. I've been dragging my feet on an order cause its my busy time of year and I hate to even admit I haven't shot in 3 months. I have a hunt in two weeks for a charity deal.
After some back and forth with zen I have more faith in your 124 than any other round. Plus I had dreams of long range this like everyone else but I have much better equipment for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.