Lead sled vs sandbags accuracy issues

A Lead Sled will tell you how good the load/rifle will shoot on a Lead Sled.

If you can not duplicate the results in a rested field position ( hunting bag, prone bipod, sticks, back pack prone) then that means your accuracy load on that lead sled means squat.

The way I understand it is that the difference between accuracy from a lead sled and bags has to do with the shooter. A lead sled eliminates shooter error more than bags. If a gun shoots well off a lead sled couldn't a competent shooter get just as good of accuracy from bags?

The way I understand it is that the difference between accuracy from a lead sled and bags has to do with the shooter. A lead sled eliminates shooter error more than bags. If a gun shoots well off a lead sled couldn't a competent shooter get just as good of accuracy from bags?

I think so. But, I think all the guys are saying is that you may well never be able to duplicate the accuracy achieved on the sled while shooting from bags. They also seem to be saying that learning to shoot from field positions is more important than getting the rifle to shoot from the bench. I get the feeling that you understand all of that though and are just trying to sharpen your skills from the bags with a rifle you know is capable of better than 1.5 MOA accuracy.

I think you should be able to get that rifle to shoot better than 1.5 MOA from bags, and that maybe .5 MOA or at least .75 MOA is a worthy goal.

Good luck with it.

Get youself a good quality windage front rest. A sand bag alone is much too inconsistent.

Is this a hunting rifle?

If so you need to sight in the same as you will be shooting in the field.

lightweight hunting style rifles require you to hold onto that forearm. Fact is I usually have my arm wrapped up in the sling and the rifle pulled tight into my shoulder with no rear bag.

Not benchrest form but this is not a bench gun

OP said in the opening post it's a T3 lite in 25-06......:rolleyes: Maybe it would be good to read thru a thread sometimes before posting

Well i would classify that as a hunting rifle but he just might have bought it for a range toy.

Have no idea what your perception might be

Already stated my perception.

And mine would i pick this rifle for a bench session at the range? Certainly not! Now i did use a lead sled for.load development on this one. Extended range sessions with this will develop bad habits

20170427_173002_zpsmqgwabou.jpg

If you want.to learn to shoot you want something.with lighter recoil, a good trigger, accurate and.rides the.bags well. That way you can actually learn about.sight alignment, breathing, trigger squeeze and all the nuances of.accurate shooting.

Something.like.this

20170426_203955_001_zpstgxrixga.jpg

Think I'm just.off my rocker today.
Nice rifles below. Especially the second one.

Actually the first one is my favorite. Bartlen barrel, trued.700, mcmillian edge and a luepold.vx-6. My hunting.rifle. honest half moa gun

The bench gun i built. Worked on it.off.and.on for.a year. Stocks are.a.lot.of.work. it is just.a savage target action, shilen barrel, richards microfit stock and a nightforce benchrest 12-42x56. It is a switchbarrel. I have.a 6br barrel and a 6.5 creedmoor. Just a range toy. Pretty inexpensive to build

A Lead Sled will tell you how good the load/rifle will shoot on a Lead Sled.

If you can not duplicate the results in a rested field position ( hunting bag, prone bipod, sticks, back pack prone) then that means your accuracy load on that lead sled means squat.

I look at this process as a way of telling the person what the rifle is capable of, "NOT" the shooter.

If you know what your rifle will do, then you can try/work on getting your shooting skills up to the quality of your rifle. (Very few can shoot as well as when they use a rest of any kind) and this is the reason for bench testing.

When building a accurate rifle, normally a Maximum MOA is required and to prove this accuracy standard is reached some form of bench testing is done. Then when the customer receives his/her rifle they know what "IT" will do. and not what they can do but it does give them something to strive for.

Most are very happy to know that there rifle is that accurate even if they cant shoot to the level of there rifle. I always want my rifle to out shoot me because it makes me a better shooter and because I have no one or nothing to blame except my self if the shot is not spot on.

An accurate rifle is no less accurate when someone hunts with it, only the shooters ability can make up the difference.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I look at this process as a way of telling the person what the rifle is capable of, "NOT" the shooter.

If you know what your rifle will do, then you can try/work on getting your shooting skills up to the quality of your rifle. (Very few can shoot as well as when they use a rest of any kind) and this is the reason for bench testing.

When building a accurate rifle, normally a Maximum MOA is required and to prove this accuracy standard is reached some form of bench testing is done. Then when the customer receives his/her rifle they know what "IT" will do. and not what they can do but it does give them something to strive for.

Most are very happy to know that there rifle is that accurate even if they cant shoot to the level of there rifle. I always want my rifle to out shoot me because it makes me a better shooter and because I have no one or nothing to blame except my self if the shot is not spot on.

An accurate rifle is no less accurate when someone hunts with it, only the shooters ability can make up the difference.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM
I totally agree with that. The whole reason for me shooting of a sled is to determine what the rifle is capable of and to eliminate it as the problem. The whole reason I asked the question to begin with wasn't because I was upset that I can't shoot the same groups off bags that I do on the sled, I fully understand that isn't practical at my experience level. But I feel like if the rifle is shooting .6" off sled and 1.5" off bags then there is a lot I need to work on personally to close that gap to hopefully around 1 MOA is my goal. I'm simply looking for advice on things to try to help me out.

I totally agree with that. The whole reason for me shooting of a sled is to determine what the rifle is capable of and to eliminate it as the problem. The whole reason I asked the question to begin with wasn't because I was upset that I can't shoot the same groups off bags that I do on the sled, I fully understand that isn't practical at my experience level. But I feel like if the rifle is shooting .6" off sled and 1.5" off bags then there is a lot I need to work on personally to close that gap to hopefully around 1 MOA is my goal. I'm simply looking for advice on things to try to help me out.

The fact that you are asking means that you want to improve in any way you can and the difference is in the repeatability of the two systems. the lead sled supports the rifle at the same locations Every time, the Sand bags don't/cant because every time you fire it redistributes the sand and changes the location of the bags to the stock. There is no way you can duplicate the same conditions every time with sand bags. Location, location, location. you might try looking at the location your rifle is supported in the lead sled, and try to duplicate it with the bags. even the most experienced shooter will have a hard time getting the same group size ever time shooting off bags, and most have a specific location for the front bag and the rear bags that work well for there particular rifle.

I like using the sand bags for checking Zeros and just plinking. But when I am serious about working up a good load, I switch to a much more repeatable system like the lead sled. I tried the front adjustable rest and the rear bag but the results were not as consistent because the rear bag changed and was not in the exact place and the ridged front and back supports. One Thing that has helped this is the modified stocks that locate the bag closer to the pistol grip and help hold the bag in place that a lot of F class shooters are using. Factories use a type of machine rest to group test there match grade rifles for there best group target that is sent with the rifle Once they clamp the rifle in it does not move during the test. That is why it is hard to duplicate there groups because
we don't use/have a machine rest.

Also unlike many, I don't add weights to my lead sled to minimize the weight and allow the rifle to recoil some (it already weighs nearly twice what most sporting rifles weigh) rather than have the rifles recoil hit a wall and hammer out the bedding.

I don't have stock in Caldwell, but it is a good tool "IF" used properly for load workup and accuracy.
It is not intended to be used as a precursor to going hunting and in no way will guaranty a perfect shot, That is up to the shooter and the amount of practice he/she does.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts