Lead Poisoning

I had oatmeal today.
1685479244160.png

I follow now. I just wanted to **** sure I wasn't missing something, and become an outlaw unknow to me. Well I don't own any like that to start with except an AR-M4.
never know that the stupid people in Washington are passing into laws.
Brace would stabilize a pistol for sure. You still have to go thur a background check to get a firearm anyway. So what's the big deal anyway?
200 bucks to the government and putting you on the list. That's the big deal!

I think you Missed the point and continue to miss it. Whether you believe in a lead ban or not, it doesn't matter. You posted a video by an anti-hunting group (reading between the lines with sponsorship by sierra club, etc) showing how your bullets didn't contain lead and how lead leaves a dust trail through ballistics gel which causes harm to animals. Many people here, except the die hard hammer crew that will defend you even if you put Dylan Mulvaney as your spokeswoman, have called it a bad look and questioned your motive.

It's not about what you believe or even meant to say, it's the message you portrayed to many on here.
Why is there no one upset over coyotes, crows or ravens scavenging and getting this so called lead poisoning?

Arizona and Nevada residents have to draw to hunt. No general tags. I wouldn't like that. Two Az. Buddy's finally drew archery elk after 9 yrs. I burned my Az. elk points last year.
Me too. I stopped too. No sences in burning money. There rule have gotten to hard. So they can do without my money. I would buy hunting licenses annual, and bow tag each year. Somewhere about $350.00+ per year and purchase points too. I was in the area of 12 points in each. They can fund themselves. The only thing I shot was dove there. Hunted couse deer each year, with a bow. I didn't find anything I wanted to take.
I use to get licenses in Montana, Idaho, Az. From time to time I would get or apply for Nevada too. Nevada has some very large muley deer buck, if you know where to go to. Don't ask I won't tell either.
So I am down to Montana and Wy for points. Wy keep screwing around with the points. That will stop too. Presently I don't see any real good hunting in Wy because of the winter kill.
I didn't mind when I felt the costs for licenses, and rules were fair.

Last edited:
I apply or by points every year in Az. Ca. Nv. Co. Ut. Mt. and for Moose and Bighorn here in Wy. St least N.M. and Idaho don't do points ! Its getting old and have lots of points in states that I'll die with. No winter kill in the Bighorn Basin . No tag cuts or shortened seasons. About only place in the state. I love hunting X12 and X9A in the Sierra's and Bridgeport Ca. near Nv. border. I burned Ca. deer points in 2021 in X12. Shot a nice buck. Took 6 pts. This year 7. I only have one. Maybe draw one of 34 random tags. I grew in Ca. I bow hunted elk in Az. 5BN a lot. Have killed one bull and 5 cow there. One buck in unit 21 and 4 javalina with bow and one buck in unit 21 with rifle but my favorite hunt in Az. was 12B late season . Killed a big buck there in 2001. Shot an antelope buck in 13A way back in 1997. Have 24 pts. For lope know 🙄 21 bighorn. Burned elk points last year.

Last edited:
A lead ban is a step in disarming a very well-armed nation. Small issues of lead poisoning do not play on my fear, my fear is in the many facets used by the left to disarm a well-armed nation. We are now buying our lead from Mexico and China.

I think that Hammer is doing a superb job, and they will be well served to stay out of politics.

If all lead bullets were banned, just imagine the impact on police who have to train. For John Q Public, we have to run rounds through a semi-auto just to check out the function of the pistol and mags to justify reliability. Oh yea, banning the handguns would do away with that problem, and most could not afford running AR's with all copper bullets. Might as well take away the guns from cops also, just use Social workers to maintain Law and Order.

You need to think about where the Yellow Brick Road leads!
VinceMule, This reply is focused principally on your statement, "We are now buying our lead from Mexico and China." You are in error.
I pulled this from Wikipedia just now, "The Lead Belt produces about 70% of the US primary supply of lead, and significant amounts of the nation's zinc.[1] In the year 2000, Missouri produced 313,105 tons, with an estimated value of $128,838,880, according to Missouri DNR Data. About 84% of the lead is used for lead–acid batteries, and a secondary smelter in Boss, Missouri recycles lead–acid batteries. Another major consumer of Missouri lead is Winchester Ammunition, located in East Alton, Illinois."
The following copied from the document referenced below:
"Domestic Production and Use: Lead was produced domestically by five lead mines in Missouri plus as a byproduct at two zinc mines in Alaska and two silver mines in Idaho. The value of the lead in concentrates of ore mined in 2021 was an estimated $750 million, 21% more than that in 2020. Nearly all lead concentrate production has been exported since the last primary lead refinery closed in 2013. The value of the secondary lead produced in 2021 was $2.4 billion, 17% more than that in 2020. The lead-acid battery industry accounted for an estimated 92% of reported U.S. lead consumption during 2021. Lead-acid batteries were primarily used as starting-lighting-ignition (SLI) batteries for automobiles, as industrial-type batteries for standby power for computer and telecommunications networks, and for motive power. During the first 9 months of 2021, 107 million lead-acid automotive batteries were shipped by North American producers, 8% more than those shipped in the same period of 2020.
Recycling: In 2021, about 990,000 tons of secondary lead was produced, an amount equivalent to 62% of apparent domestic consumption. Nearly all secondary lead was recovered from old scrap, mostly lead-acid batteries.
Import Sources (2017–20): Refined metal: Canada, 43%; Mexico, 19%; the Republic of Korea, 17%; India, 4%; and other, 17%.
U.S. Geological Survey, Mineral Commodity Summaries, January 2022"
Notice lead consumption in our economy is principally in batteries. Our virgin lead ore is shipped to China for refining as our last large scale smelter was closed approximately two decades ago (Doe Run).
The negative impact of lead ammunition used in hunting is well understood and documented. As several have pointed out in this discussion, we can be part of a solution by choosing monolithics over cup and core or hard cast when hunting. In contrast lead has much economic value when used on our ranges of which a fair amount is recycled.
Protecting wildlife by minimizing lead exposure is neither a geopolitical nor a liberal US national political matter. Conflating protection of all God's creatures with Gun Control is unhelpful.
This post is not intended as a personal attack; rather, to state that the best way forward on any hotly debated subject is a mastery of peer reviewed facts. Shooting Hammers and Accubonds in SW Illinois…..Hammers on game and Accubonds on paper, Jasbo

VinceMule, This reply is focused principally on your statement, "We are now buying our lead from Mexico and China." You are in error.
I pulled this from Wikipedia just now, "The Lead Belt produces about 70% of the US primary supply of lead, and significant amounts of the nation's zinc.[1] In the year 2000, Missouri produced 313,105 tons, with an estimated value of $128,838,880, according to Missouri DNR Data. About 84% of the lead is used for lead–acid batteries, and a secondary smelter in Boss, Missouri recycles lead–acid batteries. Another major consumer of Missouri lead is Winchester Ammunition, located in East Alton, Illinois."
The following copied from the document referenced below:
"Domestic Production and Use: Lead was produced domestically by five lead mines in Missouri plus as a byproduct at two zinc mines in Alaska and two silver mines in Idaho. The value of the lead in concentrates of ore mined in 2021 was an estimated $750 million, 21% more than that in 2020. Nearly all lead concentrate production has been exported since the last primary lead refinery closed in 2013. The value of the secondary lead produced in 2021 was $2.4 billion, 17% more than that in 2020. The lead-acid battery industry accounted for an estimated 92% of reported U.S. lead consumption during 2021. Lead-acid batteries were primarily used as starting-lighting-ignition (SLI) batteries for automobiles, as industrial-type batteries for standby power for computer and telecommunications networks, and for motive power. During the first 9 months of 2021, 107 million lead-acid automotive batteries were shipped by North American producers, 8% more than those shipped in the same period of 2020.
Recycling: In 2021, about 990,000 tons of secondary lead was produced, an amount equivalent to 62% of apparent domestic consumption. Nearly all secondary lead was recovered from old scrap, mostly lead-acid batteries.
Import Sources (2017–20): Refined metal: Canada, 43%; Mexico, 19%; the Republic of Korea, 17%; India, 4%; and other, 17%.
U.S. Geological Survey, Mineral Commodity Summaries, January 2022"
Notice lead consumption in our economy is principally in batteries. Our virgin lead ore is shipped to China for refining as our last large scale smelter was closed approximately two decades ago (Doe Run).
The negative impact of lead ammunition used in hunting is well understood and documented. As several have pointed out in this discussion, we can be part of a solution by choosing monolithics over cup and core or hard cast when hunting. In contrast lead has much economic value when used on our ranges of which a fair amount is recycled.
Protecting wildlife by minimizing lead exposure is neither a geopolitical nor a liberal US national political matter. Conflating protection of all God's creatures with Gun Control is unhelpful.
This post is not intended as a personal attack; rather, to state that the best way forward on any hotly debated subject is a mastery of peer reviewed facts. Shooting Hammers and Accubonds in SW Illinois…..Hammers on game and Accubonds on paper, Jasbo
The value of the lead in concentrates of ore mined in 2021 was an estimated $750 million, 21% more than that in 2020. Nearly all lead concentrate production has been exported since the last primary lead refinery closed in 2013.
Exactly why were the refineries closed ? Were people dying of lead poisoning that worked there ? Funny one would have thought that would be all over the news at the time. It is possible it slid under the radar or I just don't recall. But I sure would have thought every employee there would be dead by now.

And who wrote it for wikipedia ? College professors won't even let their students use wiki as a source. Over 100 years of lead used as ammo. And we are just now learning the bad effects it has on wildlife or shall I say scavengers. I wonder what impact these scavengers had on the eco system ? We used to have an abundance of small game in my area growing up. We no longer have any pheasant to hunt. But yet the fish & game will sell you a pheasant tag. lol Rabbits yes if you want to hunt someones yard (safezone) or junkyard. Seems it's their only chance at survival. Eagles Red tailed hawks, owls have had a large impact on game in my area. More than lead. I would like to see these studies that showed lead caused the demise of our small game. I don't lay all the blame on the birds. Farming & housing has had a large impact also. Farming machinery has gotten faster. Not giving game a chance to get out of the way. But yet I don't hear anyone trying to slow (farming) tractors or machinery down. I know of 6 fawns dead due to bailing hay just this past month. That is on 2 farms. And one runs a old slow JD. He only took one fawn unfortunately. Imagine 1,ooos of farms doing this. Trapping was also a factor, less of it.
I refuse to help the left restrict anything 2A. Let them restrict this & they will have the reasoning to restrict anything they choose.

Last edited:
The value of the lead in concentrates of ore mined in 2021 was an estimated $750 million, 21% more than that in 2020. Nearly all lead concentrate production has been exported since the last primary lead refinery closed in 2013.
Exactly why were the refineries closed ? Were people dying of lead poisoning that worked there ? Funny one would have thought that would be all over the news at the time. It is possible it slid under the radar or I just don't recall. But I sure would have thought every employee there would be dead by now.

And who wrote it for wikipedia ? College professors won't even let their students use wiki as a source. Over 100 years of lead used as ammo. And we are just now learning the bad effects it has on wildlife or shall I say scavengers. I wonder what impact these scavengers had on the eco system ? We used to have an abundance of small game in my area growing up. We no longer have any pheasant to hunt. But yet the fish & game will sell you a pheasant tag. lol Rabbits yes if you want to hunt someones yard (safezone) or junkyard. Seems it's their only chance at survival. Eagles Red tailed hawks, owls have had a large impact on game in my area. More than lead. I would like to see these studies that showed lead caused the demise of our small game. I don't lay all the blame on the birds. Farming & housing has had a large impact also. Farming machinery has gotten faster. Not giving game a chance to get out of the way. But yet I don't hear anyone trying to slow (farming) tractors or machinery down. I know of 6 fawns dead due to bailing hay just this past month. That is on 2 farms. And one runs a old slow JD. He only took one fawn unfortunately. Imagine 1,ooos of farms doing this. Trapping was also a factor, less of it.
I refuse to help the left restrict anything 2A. Let them restrict this & they will have the reasoning to restrict anything they choose.

Hey M1A1Abrams,
First, I am a very proud 1st Infantry Division combat vet having earned my Combat Medical Badge in Sep 1966.
Second, I come from a family of 11 mostly very bright get. On the GI Bill I earned a BS in Biology (major) with Chemistry/Physics minors.
Third, I sold pharmaceuticals for 3-1/2 years out of college. Whilst in college I served 4 years in the 1140th Engineer Battalion, 35th Infantry Division (NG) as the only Combat experienced Medic in the Unit.
Lastly, I have retained more than a casual interest in Medicine for 45+ years and understand Pb's impact on ALL species. Fortunately I ultimately chose a more rewarding field (financially and otherwise) and have internationally recognized expertise in that field.
My defense:
1) I quoted Wiki precisely because you'll find it general, not academic.
2) I was born and raised in SE Missouri and have family and friends today 'working' in Pb production and logistics. My first cousin's family business (God rest his soul) transships a very high percentage of Missouri's mined lead to China via ocean going barges for smelting.
3) If your were intellectually curious, you would know the answer to your hypothetical "why did all the US Refineries (we call them Smelters) close?" Short answer is EPA; The Libtards imposed such an impossible emissions threshold on Doe Run (the largest domestic smelter at that time) that it made economic sense to close their smelter and ship their primary ore off-shore (China and of course; lawless, pathetic Mexico).
4) I thought you and I would have a comrade's perspective as Vets. Maybe so, but I sense you, Sir, have a hidden or disguised agenda.
Duty First, Jasbo

Recent Posts