Lead Poisoning

One gets lead poisoning mostly from primers. 1) when they are in the gunsmoke, and 2) when we handle spent cases and primers. That's why I always put some paint thinner in my brass tumbler - so there will be no dust when I shake out the brass.

If you swallowed a bunch of oxidized bullets, that could be a problem. But it takes a long time for those bullets to oxidize. A VERY long time.

I used to be an industrial hygienist where I monitored factory worker exposures to toxic stuff.

We were never worried about new, elemental lead in chunks. Sure. You get it on your hands, but if you don't smoke, eat, rub your eyes nor pick your nose you are good. It washes off and is not absorbed by the skin. Open sores are a different manner.

Lead vapors (that takes lots more heat than your lead pot!) and dust were a problem, because the dust oxidizes so easily - LOTS of surface area.

I've read you could fill your craw with newly cast lead and it will just pass thru you. It is not the elemental lead that kills. It is the oxides from really old stuff out in the weather, and the dross you pull off of your lead pot, and the primers (lead styphnate) that will poison you. Lead oxides and lead salts (primers) are a serious exposure issue if you are not careful.

That being said, I used to shoot indoors in a North OC California range. I would blow black shite out of my nose at home. I was kidding myself. After all, the range operators said that, "The California environmental guys said we were great!"

But you know there is an issue when your gunsmoke blows back into your face.

I stopped shooting indoors, continued to cast LOTS of bullets and shoot outdoors, and my lead problem went away.

I just don't understand how these birds are being poisoned? They must be eating ancient corroded and oxidized pellets. But WHY would they do THAT? If the lead is old enough to be oxidized, the carcass has long since been void of meat.

I'm just sayin'...

Birds have a digestive system that causes significantly more lead to be absorbed into the body. I can't tell you the exact mechanism of action, but I think it has to do with increasing the surface area of lead in the gizzard then oxidizing in their highly acidic stomach.

Birds have a digestive system that causes significantly more lead to be absorbed into the body. I can't tell you the exact mechanism of action, but I think it has to do with increasing the surface area of lead in the gizzard then oxidizing in their highly acidic stomach.

Only some birds...the ones that are "symbolic" coincidentally.

Only some birds...the ones that are "symbolic" coincidentally.
All birds have gizzards but the few whose feeding habits put them at risk are indeed often majestic. Read that as coincidence if you want, but they were symbolic while we were still putting lead in cosmetics and paint. The symbolism is our construct, the fact that they die if they eat lead is not. And they get ahold of it from hunting and fishing, they're not out in the desert feasting on car batteries and antique boats. Fishing in a lead free state is annoying but given that lead accounts for more than 40 percent of all known loon fatalities in New Hampshire's research over the last 30 years I'm okay with abiding by that rule when it's present. 7 loons per year in one small state is a lot: when you amplify that across the entire loon habitat zone that's hundreds and hundreds per year. One small sinker kills a loon in a few days. Birds do die if they eat lead. They just do. How much we care is a values call, and I think California did the worst possible job ramming values down people's throats instead of science. Which is a thing they do very well, I'll admit that as a moderate democrat. They way they often legislate is as unamerican as anything I see rammed through or overturned by the utah legislature.

On science and values, I personally don't think the sheer number of eagles and vultures dying of lead justifies limitations outside of condor habitat, even for those keystone scavenger species. Their recovery from other near-extinction catastrophes is strong enough that I just don't think it matters that much, even if it is a ghastly way to die. But they do die. I've found dead eagles. I know people who shoot buzzards when they take up residence in certain places and I'm ok with that. Even ducks and geese, which were dying by the millions, I've heard very good arguments that most of that was happening in very specific places where the right conditions overlapped. Even within condor habitat, the flu just killed a couple dozen in UT and AZ, where they can eat lead anytime they want. Now some folks are calling for lead moratoriums there and I don't know how I feel about that. I guess I would support a lead free zone around a place like Zion if professional scientists could make a good enough case to get it in place. But if they don't, it probably won't have much of an impact.

I read a great many years ago of a GameWard caring for injuried birds of pray in Elcentro Calif. He feed the birds with birds he shot for food for them. None die, and they return to the wild. He said he couldn't figure out where they came up with lead posioning where killing birds of pray, unless being shot.

I read a great many years ago of a GameWard caring for injuried birds of pray in Elcentro Calif. He feed the birds with birds he shot for food for them. None die, and they return to the wild. He said he couldn't figure out where they came up with lead posioning where killing birds of pray, unless being shot.
I used to dove hunt in El Centro and Nyland . 😉

I used to dove hunt in El Centro and Nyland . 😉:)
Me too. I had been going to Az for a long time now. That has stopped, because I am generally in Montana in late Dec, early Jan. Az has season that will run until just after the 1st of each year. Sometime into the 5th of Jan. A lot cooler them. I would also get my Bow tag that had until the end of Jan each year.

Me too. I had been going to Az for a long time now. That has stopped, because I am generally in Montana in late Dec, early Jan. Az has season that will run until just after the 1st of each year. Sometime into the 5th of Jan. A lot cooler them. I would also get my Bow tag that had until the end of Jan each year.
A22 ?

A22? I hunted Region 1,3,4 & 5 and very close to the Mexico border. I got into a fight here over trail cams here. I guess people were setting up with 30 to 40 trail cams in some location. Being my time was limited there. I need to know what was or wasn't coming into water. Believe me was didn't have the trouble of having others people trail cams where I was hunting. Hardly even see other where I was at. Never got a Coues deer. I could have several times, but they were small horned, so I let them go by. I will say one thing on AZ deer hunting. There was far to many hunting seasons each year. Love the open spaces, and the lack of people or hunter most of the time. If there was people in area, I would move to somehere else.