Lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead core bullets?

Sorry but you cannot add your conclusion to someone else's study
. That's what future research study does. You too have the opportunity to counter the study's claim. You made an assumption the researchers did not know, what you think is obvious. Like I previously noted, I am in no position to criticize a researcher's work.
nevertheless the simple precaution is to cut the meat away from the wound channel and throw it away. If you want to believe that the researchers didn't know that hunters commonly do this you're welcome to believe that if you want to.

nevertheless the simple precaution is to cut the meat away from the wound channel and throw it away. If you want to believe that the researchers didn't know that hunters commonly do this you're welcome to believe that if you want to.

You are making an assumption that they do not know. How do you know that they did not omit that part and make it part of their assumption? Have you ever done any research that has gone through independent review/peer-review, accredited, and published? If you have, then you would know what I am talking about.

As previously noted, I have been working on my research study since 2017, but this learner is in no position to criticize a researcher's work. If you think you can do better than the researchers then prove them wrong and put your criticism to good use - add to the empirical knowledge base, not in this forum.

Cheers!

So, if I could add one thing to the conclusion of the study, (it is otherwise pretty good) it is that the most beneficial thing hunters can do is cut away and discard all meat around the bullet path. They fact they didn't mention the obvious solution to prevent lead ingestion shows that the study was done to support those who want to ban lead bullets. There's no way they didn't know about it. They just don't want us to know about it.

Since you didn't specify the bullet make and model, according the scientific method you invoked, you are talking junk science, right?

Discarding meat from the bullet path will not prevent lead ingestion as you claim. It will only reduce it and certainly may reduce it significant, but not prevent it..

🤔🧐
What are the symptoms of copper toxicity?

Some reported symptoms of copper poisoning include:

• headaches
  • fever
  • passing out
  • feeling sick
  • throwing up
  • blood in your vomit
  • diarrhea
  • black poop
  • abdominal cramps
  • brown ring-shaped markings in your eyes (Kayser-Fleischer rings)
  • yellowing of eyes and skin (jaundice)
Copper poisoning may also cause the following mental and behavioral symptoms:

• feeling anxious or irritable
  • having trouble paying attention
  • feeling overexcited or overwhelmed
  • feeling unusually sad or depressed
  • sudden changes in your mood
Long-term copper toxicity can also be fatal or cause:

Double Naught, sounds like you need to avoid lead bullets. I cut my own venison and have absolutely no concern with eating lead that I somehow would miss. Same on quail and pheasants shot with lead shot. No concern. Fortunately we all have choices. I'll be one of the thousands of Americans who have died from eating lead killed animals I suppose.

Here is a scenario to ponder. Let's say you are seated in a nice restaurant and the waiter comes to the table and offers you water. He gives you a choice of two waters, one that is pure and one that is slightly lead contaminated. Which one would you choose?
Here is another scenario to ponder - Let's say you are seated in a nice restaurant and the waiter comes to the table and offers you water. He gives you a choice of two waters, one that is pure and one that is slightly copper contaminated or it has a jagged copper petal in it. Which one would you choose?

Lead from paint and lead toxic animals is dramatically different than lead from an animal killed with a bullet. Animals killed with bullets have large particles of lead which if consumed are poorly absorbed in the G.I. tract as they can't be broken down to an absorbable size. Lead from paint and lead poisoned animals is in the more elemental form and much more easily absorbed by the G.I. tract. The ability to enter the human body is dependent on the time in the G.I. tract and the size of the particles presented. This version of lead poisoning is mostly an unscientific anti-hunting rant by the left.
The california condors arent dying from eating lead then. Might be interesting to test this by putting lead into hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) to see if it breaks it down. To each their own. I chose not to feed my family lead in our venison. The extra cost of non lead bullets is nothing to me as I dont shoot but a few a year anyway and it gives me peace of mind. Cant find that xray I saw some years ago but Im sure its out there on the web somewhere. This video is a bit dry and long but they do get into lead in game meat. They also found lead levels in blood were 40% higher in people who ate game meat shot with lead bullets as opposed to thoe who didnt eat game meat.

Last edited:
🤔🧐
What are the symptoms of copper toxicity?

Some reported symptoms of copper poisoning include:

• headaches
  • fever
  • passing out
  • feeling sick
  • throwing up
  • blood in your vomit
  • diarrhea
  • black poop
  • abdominal cramps
  • brown ring-shaped markings in your eyes (Kayser-Fleischer rings)
  • yellowing of eyes and skin (jaundice)
Copper poisoning may also cause the following mental and behavioral symptoms:

• feeling anxious or irritable
  • having trouble paying attention
  • feeling overexcited or overwhelmed
  • feeling unusually sad or depressed
  • sudden changes in your mood
Long-term copper toxicity can also be fatal or cause:

Problem is that copper bullet fragments are typically much larger and thus easier to find and remove than lead. Some lead particles may be more like dust. With some of the lead bullets, its difficult to find any fragments. Also been drinking water delivered by copper pipes and their still legal. Can't say the same for lead water pipes.

Note that we never actually see the data nor the p-values; it was clear that, unlike the null vs alternative hypothesis which someone, I believe, DNA Dave discussed so eloquently, they had made up their minds about the outcomes before the study was even finished. The "some suggest" means, we'd like to have science to back us up, but we don't. And, as you may know from my other posts, I have had uniformly good luck shooting Barnes bullets. I hunt ducks, not pheasants, so don't shoot lead shot either. I just hate junk science.
Couldn't see the paper, but how could they not publish the p-values in a peer-reviewed journal? Often we collect data to prove our hypotheses and ignore data that say something else, human nature I guess.
I recall reading an article that suggested that lead conserved ducks because steel crippled more ducks that eventually would die without being retrieved. So hunters would end up shooting (killing) more. Here they count wounded ducks as part of the bag limit, but hunters just lie-- and shoot way over the limit, but leave them in the swamp. ...sorry for the thread hijack.

Since you didn't specify the bullet make and model, according the scientific method you invoked, you are talking junk science, right?

Discarding meat from the bullet path will not prevent lead ingestion as you claim. It will only reduce it and certainly may reduce it significant, but not prevent it..
Double Naught, If you care to read the study Feenix referenced for us, you will see that the bullet make and model is specified. They even have pictures for you. 🤣

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.