Lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead core bullets?

Since we have been using lead to kill animals for say 120 years now with relatively high velocity cartridges, I am sure that there are many many hunters, children, pregnant women etc that have been tested and found to have dangerously high lead levels.

Since that has not happened, I'll keep slinging Bergers at shoulders. If you don't like shooting game with lead bullets, please do not. For me, I am fine with it. Kind of like Covid and living in your basement. You do you, I'll go about my life.

This post is directed at no one in particular and just reflects my overall disgust with junk science and those pushing it to control our lives.
kurtb we think alike a lot of people (to my suprise) have very little knowledge of what is actually is taking place i refuse to live in fear per elites

Me too! And of course, ear protection. Heck, I even wear gloves, eye, and ear protection when I mow or use any power tools. To me it is all about risk management.

I have the same stance. As noted, I really do not care what an individual does with the information being presented. This learner is in no position to criticize any individual's stance on the subject matter or anybody's empirical data as I do not have any personal published peer-reviewed research paper. I have nothing but respect for those that managed to have their work published (literature/article, thesis, dissertation) because it is not an easy endeavor. I have been working on my research study since June of 2017 and currently going through multi-level Academic Quality Review processes and Independent Review Board. It has been a challenging but rewarding journey and the ultimate prize is almost within reach. 😇

After 4 hours of study time since getting off work, I think a well-deserved break is in order. Cheers to all ... be safe and God bless!

View attachment 199350
Each of us gets to pick his or her own poison.

feenix, I love your map but you should have extended it to Illinois where the people would feel right at home. Mabe just Cook County Illinois the rest of Illinois are real down to earth people.
as for as the lead thing it a B S and a way to take away our hunting rights. every time youo fill up your tank with fuel you are exposed to a 100 time the chemicals of an animal shot with a lead bullet. What a dumb story it like the Canberry story that was false.

I wish I can take credit for the map but a friend from NM sent it to me. Information is what you make of it.

Great list and great information Feenix! There is a great deal of research on the effects of lead on eagles and birds of prey as they ingest the gut piles which presumably contain higher levels of lead than the meat we take home. Just google "lead poisoning of eagles. Minnesota has alot of press coverage on it.
no not the gut piles, more like birds that were partially hit and died later or not found by hunters, or even large amounts of pigeon from pigeon shoots. Or even large amounts of birds that have ingested lead shot instead of gravel in their gizzards, then ingested by the birds of prey like eagles. Way too many variables out there on how lead ended up in these birds of prey That are much more probable than gut piles.

You know, there is a tremendous amount of damage done by junk science. Years ago, if you graduated from high school you had a pretty good idea about what scientific method was, as you had been taught that every year from grades 7-12. Somewhere along the line we substituted "our opinion" for facts. Now our kids think there are 42 genders. I think AOC even said "feelings matter more than facts".

It's fine to avoid lead bullets, just don't pretend that there is any data to support that it is harmful, because there isn't any.

How we get back to a solid education I'm not sure, but I'll bet there will be a lot more homeschooling (our granddaughter did leaps and bounds better academically at home under COVID), charter schools (unless Biden gets in) and parents will choose their kid's colleges much more carefully and make them major in something other than "How to be an Antifa".

no not the gut piles, more like birds that were partially hit and died later or not found by hunters, or even large amounts of pigeon from pigeon shoots. Or even large amounts of birds that have ingested lead shot instead of gravel in their gizzards, then ingested by the birds of prey like eagles. Way too many variables out there on how lead ended up in these birds of prey That are much more probable than gut piles.
Could be. One of the studies I read also claimed the presence of gilding metal in their livers(?). Uncertain of the organ. One of the problems with science itself is that while claiming to seek truth, every study/ experiment is based upon a hypothesis, which means they have a preconceived belief about the subject. Then with less than perfect morals and ethics, its possible to make the results come out in support of said hypothesis, just like statistical analysis.

Don't eat up to the hole, don't eat bloodshot meat. Maybe clean and chew your birds thoroughly and spit out pellets. Problem solved. As for the eagles, and condors....maybe they're sensitive to led fragments. I know the crows, magpies, turkey vultures, and jays where I hunt must be eating a ton of lead fragments but they seem to be fine. No shortage of them.

I'm from California and am forced to shoot monos and have shot most brands. In my and my hunting partners experience they don't kill like lead but some kill better than others.
I sure wish I had the choice to choose still.
A couple facts you should get straight about the lead bullet debate and who set this in motion.
1.Arizona strip was the first area to band copper bullets they have a ammo exchange if you choose to shot lead on your hunt you have to pack the guts out. (Condors)
2.California follows Arizona with Condor area lead band ammo exchange was to expensive it never got of its feet
3. Montana puts state lead band it fails
4. California puts lead band to vote unfortunately it passed
So California isn't the trend setter all the other states gives us the credit for. With I say be careful what you wish for the more copper vs lead stuff that gets out there the worst off we are!!!
Slight correction:
Arizona Game and Fish actually gives away, through qualified dealers, commonly used copper ammunition or copper bullets once drawn for a any of the specific units in the Kaibab areas.
It's also not mandatory to use copper, but they ask that you remove the gut piles if shot with lead.
Thats why me and the other grandpas and dads end up with so many boxes of copper ammo and bullets. They work good on the does and most of these juniors are using 223 bolt guns and AR's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.