Lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead core bullets?

I'm from California and am forced to shoot monos and have shot most brands. In my and my hunting partners experience they don't kill like lead but some kill better than others.
I sure wish I had the choice to choose still.
A couple facts you should get straight about the lead bullet debate and who set this in motion.
1.Arizona strip was the first area to band copper bullets they have a ammo exchange if you choose to shot lead on your hunt you have to pack the guts out. (Condors)
2.California follows Arizona with Condor area lead band ammo exchange was to expensive it never got of its feet
3. Montana puts state lead band it fails
4. California puts lead band to vote unfortunately it passed
So California isn't the trend setter all the other states gives us the credit for. With I say be careful what you wish for the more copper vs lead stuff that gets out there the worst off we are!!!

Growing up we ate a lot of dove and duck. Every time we dined on such there would be a pellet or two of lead shot found while chewing. The pellet would get spit out and after dinner the lucky finder got a "prize". I don't think we swallowed any shot to speak of. Must have processed several dozen big game animals shot with Sierra GK's and found few fragments and cut out a lot of blood shot/damaged meat. I can't see how a fragment small enough to miss can travel through enough meat to get past the blood shot area. Never shewed on a fragment of lead from deer or elk meat and remember have a lot of practice finding bird shot. Is it a threat? I believe its a minimal one but hey do what you need to to be comfortable.

In a past life I was employed as a government chemist, NIOSH testing inclusive of clinical exposure to lead, suspected lead poisoning. The ability to develop lead poisoning from a gunshot wound is remote. The modes of entry where you can develop it are the following. You can breath it in as in smelting or in the past when there was lead in gasoline, the fumes in a closed area or from cars emitting fumes from lead based gasoline while operating. Gasoline with lead in it could be absorbed in the skin. Small micronized particles of lead that are small enough to enter through lung aveoli, but damage there is typically due to the dust itself on the lungs not lead poisoning. Lead in itself must be chemically bound to another element to be ingestable and be absorbed into the body, think to table salt with is sodium Chloride or any drug you may ingest or mineral supplement. A major problem in poorer areas of the country used to be small children ingesting lead paint. Which due to what the lead was bound to would have sweet taste. This would have devastating affects on the brain development of these children. A fully developed brain does not have the sensitivity to lead as a juvenile brain. The harm from ingesting lead that has been fragmented is from the sharp edges to the digestive tract than from the clinical exposure to lead. There is a lot of silliness on the internet, if anyone does not believe me take a piece of lead weigh it expose it to gastric fluid (the acidic compound found in your stomach) for 1.5 hours, then rinse it and weigh it it should be the same.

A great many years ago, there was a game warden in El Centro, Cal that wrote about lead poisoning. He fed wounded or hurt hawks and eagles from birds he shot with a shotgun. None die, they all recovered from there wounds. The point he was making that it's a bunch of bull on lead poisoning from lead shot and bullets. California (California) has gone off there rocker on lead bullets, and shots. Their hunting licenses sale are falling so bad in the last few years, they are having a hard time making it on the funds they are getting. I quite hunting there several years ago. Haven't purchase ammo or reloading supplies there either for 10 years.
It was never about wounds, but ingestion.
Interesting thread here, I myself would be more concerned with lead shot from small game, upland birds than from a big game bullet.

There is lead and then there are lead ions. Elemental lead, the metal, is not the problem. The metal can oxidize on the surface over time, and that could be a source of the lead ion that can denature protein in enzymes and is the real problem. That could happen for scavengers or ducks that ingest lead shot that has been exposed to air for a long time. Any elemental lead from bullet fragments should pass through the digestive system fairly rapidly.
FWIW I was a range master at the Ventura Shooting Range which was being attacked by 'people' who stated the lead run off was contaminating the local community. They hired a consultant lab (so we would not bias the results). Their consultant after many tests could not identify any lead byproducts in the run off.
The rest of the story: SO they concluded that the noise of the range was reason enough to get the city to shut us down. Of course the police continue to use the range for their training...but not the public. Sigh. Most fun job I ever had after retiring from the rat race.

My children grew up with a diet almost exclusively of venison & some game birds. Heck, they didn't eat a beef steak until they were in Jr. High! We butcher all our own deer & elk so we know that the "blood shot" meat is not very good so we threw it out! I guess that's why we never had any issues with lead poisoning.

Passing laws to protect the ignorant does not promote freedom, it only promotes more ignorance.
Or, as a VP of our company once told me "Brad, if we keep idiot proofing every thing around here, one day all we will have is a bunch of idiots working for us!"

Everything in life is a choice between benefits/risks - lets quit bubble wrapping these children and help them grow wise as they grow old!

It is an unfortunate truth that the bulk of information being promulgated on any topic whatever is tainted by an underlying political agenda. Science is the latest go-to tool used to emphasize some point or other, and it is used most by those who have the least understanding of it. It is "junk science", meaning there is nothing scientific about it. Science is the search for truth, and every conclusion is suspect. That is why every experiment should be repeatable, and consistent in result. The experimental setup is always suspect, even for the most unbiased scientist, for being inclined to produce a preferred result. Given the dominance of left-wing bias in the universities, and the propensity to cite only those results that reinforce that bias, everything they say is suspect. There is no evidence that lead ammunition has been isolated as the sole causal agent affecting the health of people who consume game animals taken with it.

I'm from California and am forced to shoot monos and have shot most brands. In my and my hunting partners experience they don't kill like lead but some kill better than others.
I sure wish I had the choice to choose still.
A couple facts you should get straight about the lead bullet debate and who set this in motion.
1.Arizona strip was the first area to band copper bullets they have a ammo exchange if you choose to shot lead on your hunt you have to pack the guts out. (Condors)
2.California follows Arizona with Condor area lead band ammo exchange was to expensive it never got of its feet
3. Montana puts state lead band it fails
4. California puts lead band to vote unfortunately it passed
So California isn't the trend setter all the other states gives us the credit for. With I say be careful what you wish for the more copper vs lead stuff that gets out there the worst off we are!!!

Of course, you have a choice, move to Montana. 😇

Ca to MT direction.jpg

The following are some examples of peer-reviewed articles extracted from empirical data sources.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?type=printable&id=10.1371/journal.pone.0005330

https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/43176483/GUNSHOT_WOUNDS_A_SOURCE_OF_LEAD_IN_THE_E20160228-16615-1kbjy27.pdf?1456707923=&response-content-disposition=inline;+filename=Gunshot_Wounds_a_Source_of_Lead_in_the_E.pdf&Expires=1592456294&Signature=F9BSXmewl6cwrDjZDWAP9G4KKlWtdJDSX1P8CmQi~poQkcCi7dJM376KyD~q-p5wzys~xq10ES5HtI5jXxslJWBG6e0B-DyewvVhDq74IS9JH0XyUS1o6YO-6Th9uEW9mJ29eUMTJB0Bo~1bMHaoSHGgOgusbCCNo6lJHKiDHM2RL4DVuQcNqv-NoxPZBcI3crdCvmkJ2L4-OXEXsKromCh~xeLkxyK3Q3rajyVAhisyXTL4OW0EgapUv~VKhjPBb5vbbvL9oALKIBg~U~GImxJxbBEYW5BtPmDRuILOqd4871EbyPX1LSQUScyHpPsxQITfx8Z0afZPrezHMgSG4Q__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00128-009-9647-2

https://science.peregrinefund.org/legacy-sites/conference-lead/PDF/0307 Tranel.pdf

https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/76818-OLS-Report-final.pdf#page=29
[/

well you can test all of the pigs you want, a real accurate test would be several families that actually eat a bunch of meat hunted and processed by themselves, not a processor, this would have to be blind tested with An all Vegan family and an average suburban family that eats meat from the store. A Blind test because I don't trust anyone that would Test for this in the first place because just like the "Mom's for Action" Surveys that have a high propensity for wanting a specific outcome Can not be trusted.

feenix, I love your map but you should have extended it to Illinois where the people would feel right at home. Mabe just Cook County Illinois the rest of Illinois are real down to earth people.
as for as the lead thing it a B S and a way to take away our hunting rights. every time youo fill up your tank with fuel you are exposed to a 100 time the chemicals of an animal shot with a lead bullet. What a dumb story it like the Canberry story that was false.

@TBell

That is everyone's' right, no one is forcing anybody ... and I am in no way advocating you do. I am simply presenting and information that is available, what you do with it is entirely up to you. It is your ultimate responsibility to synthesize the information as you see it fit. And just in case you missed it, I still use lead bullets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.