lead plant closure?

trophyhunter1000

with the looming closure of the last lead smelting plant will bullet manufacturers be forced to go to all gilded metal or is there a possible solution to replace lead with another metal?

I read, just tonight, on Sierra's web site that they will not be effected by the closing of Doe Run. Smeltering plant which is 3 hours from them. Said they mainly use lead from recycled car batteries. Maybe all the other bullet makers are doing the same. Except Barnes.

Jason

with the looming closure of the last lead smelting plant will bullet manufacturers be forced to go to all gilded metal or is there a possible solution to replace lead with another metal?
Don't worry about it too much. Most lead in the small arms industry is reclaimed lead. If the NRA isn't going crazy over this (and they aren't) I'd wait a spell and see it play out.
The other nafta countries don't have to play ball with our EPA, so this may be a rare occurance where nafta helps.
I'd say it will be an upward ebb on prices, but no where near the end for lead core bullets.

CIENEGA DE FLORES, Mexico: As U.S. tightens rules on lead emissions, battery recycling has moved to Mexico | World | McClatchy DC

Last Remaining Lead Smelter In The USA Closing After 120 Years - The Firearm Blog

Last U.S. Lead Smelter Closes — Will This Affect Bullet Production? « Daily Bulletin

The US exports a lot of its raw minerals to Mexico (copper, lead) to be smelted there (less strict environmental regs). Then the metals are just re-imported for use in products.

Starting tomarrow Illinios ( in all of it's Chicago Democrate goodness ) has banned the use of lead wheel weights. That should help the cause.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.