• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Lead for bullet casting

cynjon

Looking to get into bullet casting...anyone have any lead, preferably in ingots? Thanks in advance!

the best place to get lead is off eBay just make sure you get the hard stuff some of the people will have the BHN so you would want it
10-18 bhn if I remember right if I'm wrong someone correct me the other thing with cast bullets you will have better luck if you lube the barrel with something like molly past so that the first bullet won't lead after that the lube on the bullet will do the job not sure if this helps
Good luck

Thanks...I've been looking around on eBay and I'm watching a couple of auctions. I figured I'd check here just to see if someone had some they were wanting to sell. I plan to powdercoat the bullets once they're cast. I've shot PC'd bullets before and they work great...just want to try casting and PC'ing my own. Thanks!

What are you casting for, makes a difference to how hard you want them..

Keep notes of hardness. [Making your own hardness scale is not difficult, a center punch a dedicated weight or hammer and choose a distance to drop] measure the divot width with calipers... Small is hard, big is softer.

Tin is a easy alloy to firm up lead, [notes] ... Linotype is a bit harder and slightly lighter. [gets bullets hard enough to spit noses if hit with hammer rather than mush down.]

Stained glass shops are a source for near dead soft lead, a little solder will be in the scrap. {near free}
Tire shop lead is hard, modern gun bullet hard. (Little bed of coals, second hand store pot and metal spoon and muffin tins, make great little ingots.)

Last edited:
Just 9mm for now...possibly 10mm and .44 down the road but mainly just looking to make inexpensive plinker/practice ammo for the 9mm.

I'm 75 & have been casting since I was 19. If you can find them, regular old style wheel weights work great for most bullets up to 1600 fps. They tend to be around 10.5 to 11 Brn. #. Most of the new wheel weights are zinc or steel. The zinc will melt but stay away from it, it is bad news. Some of the commercial bullet casters will sell you alloy . You can check with them,. Also some ranges may allow you to mine old back stop areas where cast bullet shooters have been using. It for sure has got tougher to self cast bullets economically.

roto metals, or check your local scrap yards... WW lead will work fantastic for 9mm. You can drop them from the mold into water (google that) and harden them up quite a bit as well ( I do for my 45acp) I use WW+lino for anything with more power. Felix lube (google it) works wonders!! Im not a tumble lube person, although they say it works...... just remember to NEVER get that water or any liquid in that lead pot!! few drops and that can empty it.......quick! stay safe matt