LD hunting with the 3006 and the 210 gr Berger VLD

nimrodtracy

I am new to LD Hunting. What do you guys think about the 3006 with the 210 Berger VLD for Deer to Elk out to 1000 yards?

Thanks

Tracy

IMHO the 210 out of the 06 isnt the best choice for elk at 1K or even deer at 1K. The Berger has a fairly high minimum impact velocity requirment. You cannot get the 210 fast enough to get good results at 1K. The numbers just are not there.

The 06 is marginal at best for a 1K elk rifle whatever the bullet choice. It can be a decent deer round WITH the right bullets at the right velocity.

If you absolutely had to use the 06 at 1k for either, I would look at the game kings from sierra. They have a lower impact velocity requirement (1500 FPS) as apposed to 1800-2000 FPS for most other bullets. The 200 has a good BC and sectional density.

The 210 VLD is not the solution.

I am new to LD Hunting. What do you guys think about the 3006 with the 210 Berger VLD for Deer to Elk out to 1000 yards?

Thanks

Tracy

I have killed a lot of deer and elk with a 06 and as Michael says above the 210 VLD is not the way to go. The 06 does not have the horsepower to shove that much weight fast enough for good performance. The 150 to 180gr bullets are the way to go. I just started to use the 168gr Berger VLD and think it will work out well. I used the 150 and 165gr Hornady Spire Point for years and will vouch that they are excellent bullets for putting game down at reasonable ranges.

In my opinion the 30-06 is not a 1000 yard hunting rifle for deer or elk no matter what the bullet choice.

I have killed a lot of deer and elk with a 06 and as Michael says above the 210 VLD is not the way to go. The 06 does not have the horsepower to shove that much weight fast enough for good performance. The 150 to 180gr bullets are the way to go. I just started to use the 168gr Berger VLD and think it will work out well. I used the 150 and 165gr Hornady Spire Point for years and will vouch that they are excellent bullets for putting game down at reasonable ranges.

In my opinion the 30-06 is not a 1000 yard hunting rifle for deer or elk no matter what the bullet choice.

Thanks to both kcebcj amd Michael for the reply's.

And what about the 300 WSM and the 300 Win MAG with the Berger 210 VLD, will it work with these cartridges?

If those wont work, what about the 7mm Rem Mag? Would you use the 168 or 180 Berger VLD?
I want to keep the B.C. on my bullets above 600. And use standard cartridge brass.

Tracy

And what about the 300 WSM and the 300 Win MAG with the Berger 210 VLD said:
Now you're talking. Can't speak for the 300 WSM but for the 300 WM a 210 Berger VLD with a muzzle velocity of 2850 or so you're looking at a700- 800 yard elk rifle and a 1000 yard deer shooter. This is my choice for a un-braked carry rifle.

Last edited:
The 300WSM will give you what you need to get there also. 800 yards is the limit with the 210 for elk and you can get out to about 1100 yards for deer. I have one and the numbers are there.

If you want to shoot elk to 1k, you will need to step up to 300RUM with 210grain bullets going fast.

Any of the 338 mags will work too.

I want to keep the B.C. on my bullets above 600. And use standard cartridge brass.

Tracy

Unfortunately, most bullets with BC's that good are not good 1K elk bullets. You need to think of other bullet qualities for cleanly killing elk at 1K not just BC. High BC's are well and good but do little if anything for terminal ballistics.

If you want your cake and to eat it too for 1K elk, dont joke around. Get a big 338 running 300 grain pills.

The 210 Berger and the 300 WSM...

Loaded with 65.5 gr of RL17, I was able to push the 210's to 2935 fps out of my Finnlight. That velocity @ 5000' elevation put it right on the edge of a 1K elk round. The limting factor of the 210 on elk is not KE or momentum. The limiting factor is minimum performance velocity of 1800 fps. At 1800 fps, it will have 1500 ftlbs of energy and 54 lbft of momentum which is more than enough, IMO, to penetrate the shoulder of an elk and certainly the boiler room.

Your MV and atmospheric conditions will determine if you can make a 1K shot with good terminal performance.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts