LC virgin primed brass

Steel Rain

Anyone ever load up any of this Lake City primed pulled .308 brass? If so, what did you do to process in order to load? They have had the projectiles pulled and powder dumped. Furthermore/unfortunately, they still have tar in the necks from factory seal. I bought this for loading practice rounds with 175SMK in my black rifle. I also wonder if a guy could just pour in some powder and drop another bullet in? The cautious side of me wonders if that would be foolish. Anyhow, your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Have a good one.

Steel Rain,

The asphalt sealant has a thirty-day shelf life before a bullet needs to be seated on it, and after that has to be removed before loading. I'd just go ahead and assume that these have been pulled more than thirty days ago, and that the sealant needs to be removed. Not a problem with a bore brush, and I've never had any problems with the primers becoming contaminated.

As far as just recharging the case and seating another bullet, yeah, that's an option too. The asphalt sealant causes no accuracy loss (as backwards as it may seem!) in new cases, but I haven't tried any serious accuracy tests on cases in which the sealant was past its "use by" deadline. I suspect you'd have no problems at all though.

Kevin, what are you using with the neck brushes to get the tar out? I had read somewhere xylene makes the tar come out like butter. I just worry about primer contamination with the xylene though. Maybe I'll just have to experiment a little. Thanks for your thoughts.

I used stainless steel bore brushes (this is one of the few things they're actually good for) and a quick pass in and out; no solvent of any kind. I felt that the solvent was the real risk in so far as contaminating the primers, so ommitted it entirely. Never had a problem, the resulting ammo always went well under 2/3 MOA, which was what I required for certifications.

To be honest, it always amazed me that the sealant didn't cause accuracy issues, but in using tens of thousands of new cases with the sealant, they all shot quite well. The thirty day limitation was a requirement from LCAAP and their regs, and I just had to follow what they wanted. Good stuff, though. You'll do fine, but I'd skip the solvents when dealing with primed cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.