Lazzeroni warbird puzzle

rcol317

Looking for any suggestions for what may be an issue. I've been a shooter/loader for 35 years. Went out the other day with a friend new to reloading to sight in a rifle he just acquired. It's a McMillan built Hunter Rifle on their action with McMillan stock chambered in the Lazzoroni 7.82 warbird. He bought the rifle used but looks as new, bolt face, action and chamber shows no sign of any ammo down the tube. We zero'd the rifle and shot 2 each, 5 shot group of 180 gr Berger VLD's one with 95 gr of IMR 7828 and one with 98 gr of Reloader 25. Both groups were 3" to 5" @ 100 yards. He's sick and can't figure out why it shoots so poorly. I know some rifles don't shoot VLD's but seems like still very oversized group.

I don't have a lot of experience with big cannons, I did custom build on a 300 RUM and shot 1 1/2 inch groups, smith blamed it on a bad barrel, re-barreled it (for free) with Lylja barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA to 800 yards. Great shooter!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're going to give some other bullets a try. Thanks Rick

For a new gun you just have to start from scratch:

What twist rate is the barrel?
Bedded correctly?
barrel cleaned?
If not shot before follow break in procedures....
scope rings/bases all tight and properly torqued?
known good scope?
the brass properly prepped and sized for a snug fit?
try different seating depths?

When ever they shoot this badly the first place I look is mounts and scope. Tale scope off and check all base screws. Remove them and make sure one or two are not to long and bottoming out. Then make sure rings are tight and fitting correctly. If all looks good there, I try a different proven scope on the rifle.

Jeff

Broz, and lazy labs covered it. I didn't see which scope you have on it, we've wasted a lot of powder chasing bad scopes.

Thanks guys, I agree should go back to basics. Assumed a McMillan build is bedded properly but I'll pull the scope, drop the stock and check it out, it's got new Talley rings/bases so I'll check the screws, a smith installed them on the action assumed they were tight. We'll try it all again and load several different bullets.

rcol317 ,,,,,,,

I don't have a whole lot of experience with long VLDs in the Warbird, but 3-5 " at 100yards is a bit big ,,,,,,,

do you have any idea when the rifle was built ? ,,,, twist rate of course COULD be an issue, I assume the holes in the target are dead straight in ?(no slight key-holes?) ,,,,,,,,,

what I would do, to save a whole bunch of range work, wasted components etc,,,,, is just purchase one box of twenty of the Lazzeroni factory load 168gr HPBT load ,,,,,,, ((((bottom of this page)) ,,,,,

this particular load will generally shoot well in ANY rifle properly chambered for the Lazzeroni Warbird caliber ,,, and if it does NOT, then you know that something else is wrong ,,,,,,,

ammo is in stock and phone orders can be placed at 888-492-7247 ,,,,,,,

I will stick with you on this until the problem is found ,,,,,,

BTW ,,,, how many Warbird cartridges fit into the mag box of that McMillian rifle ?,,,,,,,,

also ,,,, do you have experience in being able to clean the rifle and then hold it up to the light, looking into the receiver side of the barrel, to see if you can still see the sharp edges on the barrel lands where the chamber reamer cut in ?

Thanks John, if anyone knows this caliber I'm sure it's you, Thanks for the advise. I believe he has already ordered a box of ammo, that is a good idea. I'm sure it's something simple because it's so large of a group.

John has been a great help to me with my factory Warbird. I ended up following his advice and buying a box of factory Warbird ammo, the 150gr lazerheads. They touch at 100... My rifle has a 12 twist and seems to not shoot 175gr+ bullets. But I've only used Retumbo powder do far. I'll be using RL25 and 7828 as well. Good luck with your rifle

Boman ,,,,,,,

glad you got it shooting ,,,,, please let us know anytime that we can be of assistance ,,,,,

Looking for any suggestions for what may be an issue. I've been a shooter/loader for 35 years. Went out the other day with a friend new to reloading to sight in a rifle he just acquired. It's a McMillan built Hunter Rifle on their action with McMillan stock chambered in the Lazzoroni 7.82 warbird. He bought the rifle used but looks as new, bolt face, action and chamber shows no sign of any ammo down the tube. We zero'd the rifle and shot 2 each, 5 shot group of 180 gr Berger VLD's one with 95 gr of IMR 7828 and one with 98 gr of Reloader 25. Both groups were 3" to 5" @ 100 yards. He's sick and can't figure out why it shoots so poorly. I know some rifles don't shoot VLD's but seems like still very oversized group.

I don't have a lot of experience with big cannons, I did custom build on a 300 RUM and shot 1 1/2 inch groups, smith blamed it on a bad barrel, re-barreled it (for free) with Lylja barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA to 800 yards. Great shooter!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're going to give some other bullets a try. Thanks Rick

Berger doesn't make .308 180 gr VLD's to the best of my knowledge.

John has been a great help to me with my factory Warbird. I ended up following his advice and buying a box of factory Warbird ammo, the 150gr lazerheads. They touch at 100... My rifle has a 12 twist and seems to not shoot 175gr+ bullets. But I've only used Retumbo powder do far. I'll be using RL25 and 7828 as well. Good luck with your rifle

A 12" twist tube should be able to stabilize up to 190 gr VLD's

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.