Law Enforcement Thread concerning Covid-19

Deputy819

Morning gentlemen! Thought I'd start a thread for us boys in blue/brown/green this morning. I'd like to know what has changed for other agencies amidst all this Covid crap. What is different now (if anything) as far as the day-to day/night activities are concerned? Have your Governors/County Judge Executives/Mayors, etc enacted any new ordinances/statutes as a result of this Pandemic? Has your Chief/Sheriff/Commissioner made any direct changes in policy/procedure/protocol as a result? Thanks guys...let's hear it! (And keep it clean......there's always somebody watching us ;))

thanks to you all for your service-- I can only comment from the "outside" here in CO-- but El Paso County released a news brief a few weeks back that their officers were to limit person to person contact as much as possible, they have gone to "cold accident reporting" (which means if no injuries, no drugs or alcohol are suspected then the people need to fill out an online report rather than an officer at the scene), detectives are doing as many online and phone interviews as possible, some officers are mandated to wear masks in certain situations, 911 calls now have the dispatcher asking about coivd-19 symptoms, traffic stops are now having the officers have you hold your documentation out the window and the officer takes a picture of it so they dont have to touch your documents and no signatures are requested or required on violations -- they write "coivd19" in the signature line of the violation, all community events and programs have been suspended/cancelled , the county and state patrol are showing a pronounced presence yet seem to be only pulling over the really stupid people (thats my personal opinion just from my observations of them on my way to/from work), the state patrol officers are now allowed to wear "wash/wear" uniforms rater then their normal (dry clean only) uniforms-- there are reports of officer/police impersonators doing "traffic check points" mainly due to the more recent increased use of state patrol unmarked cars and lack of typical uniforms though. The county jail has released some of the inmates with "lower level infractions" and waived some of the bail/bond fees to get the jail population levels down in the local jail system-- also the county court has postponed all "non- speedy trial deadlines" and civil trials for the time being -- some of the jury summons were lifted
El Paso county just recently had a 41 year old deputy (Jeff Hopkins) that died from contracting the virus in the line of duty (working intake/release at the local county jail at the time he contracted the virus, he was in direct contact with other officers that had tested positive for the virus)

El Paso county just recently had a 41 year old deputy (Jeff Hopkins) that died from contracting the virus in the line of duty (working intake/release at the local county jail at the time he contracted the virus, he was in direct contact with other officers that had tested positive for the virus)

Prayers UP for his family! Always hate/hurt to hear about 'Line of Duty' deaths. This one is no different.
Changes here are very similar to the ones you mentioned. We have enacted a 'Juvenile Curfew' between the hours of 22:00-06:00. Saw a fairly dramatic increase in the number of car thefts/car break-ins (juvenile suspects) when all this began. Hopefully the curfew will knock some of that back....

Prayers UP for his family! Always hate/hurt to hear about 'Line of Duty' deaths. This one is no different.
Changes here are very similar to the ones you mentioned. We have enacted a 'Juvenile Curfew' between the hours of 22:00-06:00. Saw a fairly dramatic increase in the number of car thefts/car break-ins (juvenile suspects) when all this began. Hopefully the curfew will knock some of that back....
Our community is pretty good with sharing "ring camera" footage with leo's -- our car break ins went up for a few weeks untill all the kiddos were getting their doors knocked on with video surveillance footage proof-- the break in numbers have dropped quickly since then.

Those are pretty decent deterrent tools. I'm beginning to see quite a bit of those popping up on houses here while serving papers.....which we're still doing oddly enough. 🤔
They are better than nothing, but once someone figures out you have one they can just cover their face and or lic plate of they intend ill purpose so its best to not advertise you have one-- some local hoodlums have figured this out

Usually where someone gets caught is on a neighbors ring cam as people will park afew houses down, cover face and they walk over to their intended target house/car

Kinda got off track of your post though, sorry

Here in Wyoming our department has a standing order from the Sheriff to only make essential traffic stops, use cauting with any contact, masks, gloves, etc.

If Department personel leave the state for other than medical reasons, or something pre approved by the Sheriff, we are required to self quarantine for 14 days, at the expense of our own sick/vacation time.

In the jail if anyone is arrested, they are quarantined in isolation for minimum of 48 hours, with temperatures taken every 12 hours and documented and sent to our Jail doctor for review. No arrests unless absolutely neccessary, DUI's, misdemeanor pcs and such charges are cited and released. All mittimus bookings (weekenders) are postponed. No outside visits (churce, addiction recovery, aa, etc.) unless they are willing to do video classes. Even court is being help via zoom meetings.

That is our status at this point.....

In the jail if anyone is arrested, they are quarantined in isolation for minimum of 48 hours, with temperatures taken every 12 hours and documented and sent to our Jail doctor for review.
If we arrest someone right now (which is rare) we have to take them to the local hospital for medical clearance before taking them to the jail.....and even then we as deputies CANNOT go inside. Jail staff meets us out in the sally-port.
Here in Wyoming our department has a standing order from the Sheriff to only make essential traffic stops, use cauting with any contact, masks, gloves, etc.
Same here. Is your office still open to the public? Ours IS NOT.

DOS and some other D's are business as usual.

Then again I'm just a contractor. Contracts for DMs and snipers have been slowing down even before this garbage, but PSD, fed protective service in DOE, and medic roles are business as usual.

We aren't doing traffic stops unless they're endangering others or some excessive speeds like over 100. We're still serving papers as well except for evictions and certain writs, I'm contacting defendants on writs of execution but not pressing for a face to face. Our narc and ICAC detectives are pretty busy, hard takedowns are weird with a mask. Everybody gets temp tested at the sally port, masks and gloves for all public encounters. We're one county north of Houston and their stats are up by at least 20%, as money runs out we expect more robberies, residential burglaries are a little down with so many residents and neighbors home. I spent most of the day 'trolling neighborhoods and waving to folks out walking and admiring spandex clad moms with kids and strollers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts