Late Oct Scottish Trip....a few pics

Brown Dog

A few belated pics from my Scottish trip last month (as always, apologies for my www-shy face blanking, cheesy grin showing where appropriate!).

Weather throughout was generally overcast with strong winds and light drizzle....standard Scottish weather really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Me with the only stag; 360m/392yds from the hill behind.

smallDSC02989.jpg

Changing to hinds,the firing point for the culmination of a later excellent stalk on hinds through steep broken terrain...with a burst of glorious sunshine to round off the day:

smallDSC02993.jpg

My 2 stalking companions at a firing point from which 2 hinds were taken; [it should be obvious that I have a wide playing field when it comes to hat insults /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ]. I've shown my pal's rifle before...but, for the record, it's an RPA quadlite repeater on a Robertson thumbhole stock:

smallP1010050.jpg

and finally, a rather impressive semi-tame (but wild, despite the fence in the pic) stag back near habitation:

smallP1010047zoom.jpg

Beautiful country!! Thanks for the pics.

For the life of me I can't figure out how you guys could see a thing w/that black sheet infront of your faces though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt,

Congratulations on the hunt. The countryside looks awesome; nice stag also. Would you recommend a similar Scottish hunt for those of us on this side of the pond? I assume from the pictures it would be similar to our mule deer hunting in the Badlands or Missouri Breaks areas of the U.S. Thanks for sharing the photos, I would love to hear more details about hunting Red Deer in the Highlands as your time allows.

Thanks,
Dave

hi Brown Dog
it looks like the weather held out for you.
congrats on the stag.

how far up did you go??? i can not think of anywhere i would sooner be than out in the sticks.

thanks
colin

Good pics looks like you had a good time mate.
Looking forward to another one of my Hind bashing sessions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would recommend the Scottish Highlands to anyone who wishes to Stalk Red Deer...Awesome scenery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Matt, nice pics and nice area.

What about the details on your rifle and bullet comb.???

The area looks great.- easy rolling hills and comfortable cushioned ground for lying on top /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Congrats. on the shot.

I wish someone would let about a dozen of those red stags loose here in Nebraska. I wonder why we don't have those deer in the US?

Well done Matt,

nice to see you didn't extend yourself and managed to get quite close to the quarry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Re the last post, I wonder if anyone in the US has thought of importing Red or Sika deer to that continent?

I think certainly Sika would be hardy enough to withstand the trip across the pond.

There are wild Sika deer over on the eastern shore of Maryland. There are limits and seasons on them. I tried to bow hunt them several times but they live in the swamps where the mosquitoes are really bad. Hard to kill a deer when you have both hands busy slapping mosquitoes. Never seen one during rifle season but seldom hunt over there any more.

All,

Glad you enjoyed the pics! ..Highland stalking has ruined me for other types of stalking...it's just too much fun!

Dave,

I'll post some more highland stalking details 'in the fullness of time'! ...I would absolutely recommend it.....quite different to what I know of North American hunting styles (albeit I must admit that's rather limited to passing the Manitoba Hunter Safety Certificate 10 or so years ago!) ....my one point would be to avoid buying stalking through 'Sporting Agents" - a sort of middle man that exists over here...and exists for little other purpose than to relieve you of your money...if you decide to come over you should approach your chosen estate directly.....I'm sure there are several Brits here (including me) who could give you several useful phone numbers should you decide to get yourself to Scotland.

Col48

We were approx 50 mins drive S of Inverness. (.....and are you ever going to let me know your Nesika importation method/route? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

älg,

I was using my boring old AW in 308 with its standard load: 165NBT over 45gr of viht140 giving 2722fps. The RPA is 7-08, my pal uses 140 accubonds at 2766fps...afraid I don't know the load details

Corbett,

I would put money on reds having been released somewhere in the States

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
nice to see you didn't extend yourself and managed to get quite close to the quarry

[/ QUOTE ]
....well I had to, I'd forgotten my specs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.