Late Introduction...

tackdriver10

Yep, I've been a member of this site for a little while now, started and few threads, and have posted on others. Then I recently got to thinking that I need to come on and tell you guys a bit about myself.

Well here goes, my name is Hal and I live in the Upstate of South Carolina. Right now I am 32 years old and have been hunting and shooting since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I have recently gotten into the long-range game and have found my new calling. I keep telling my friends that this year, I don't even want to shoot at a deer unless it is 500yds plus. They think I'm crazy, but I can back that smack-talk up. Ha Ha, well most of the time anyway.:D

Below are some pictures of my favorite rifle. The 1st one shows my .338 Lapua Mag, and some of the tools of the trade. Dell Axim with Exbal, Leica 1200, and my Kestrel weatherstation.

338Lapua2.jpg

The next pic is a view from my yard actually. If you look over the barrel to the far corner, that treeline is exactly 900yds. And I practice that one quite a bit.

900ydView.jpg

The last pic is a target I recently shot on a fairly calm day. Now this target is an 8" circle and was at my 900 yard backstop. I fired two shots but could not tell where I was hitting, so I decided to drive over and check the target before I wasted a bunch of ammo. When I got to it, I was shocked because those holses are 1 5/8 inches apart. Got pretty excited and pulled the target. Can I do it again??? I don't know, but I did it once, and I was very pleased to say the least.

900ydTarget.jpg

Anyways, being from SC, its hard to find a place that you can shoot extreme ranges safely, but I have managed to locate a spot that is 1100yds. And I can proudly say that many milkjugs have met their maker there.

I have read alot of interesting posts on this site, and have picked up on alot of valuable information. My hats off to you guys...

Last edited:
Thanks, but for some reason, I can't see my pics. I'm sure I posted them properly because I have done it before. How can you see them and I can't? Or are you pulling my leg?

Nice rifle! What part of the upstate SC you from? My wife's family is from Lancaster and we visit regular. We might have to get together and do some shootin!

Wow, that's one heck of an introduction.

As ol' Walter Brennen said, "not brag just fact.":)

You'll do!!

Very nice set up. Looks like you sure do know how to use it!

Do ya suppose the two shoots being a bit to the right due to just a bit of wind, needing 1/8th min. clicks, spin drift, coriolis or you forgot to shave that day?:D

Sharp rifle ! And great job on the shooting at 900 yards . I bet you was all teeeth back to the house:D

BigBuck

Thanks all for the kind words.

Hey Roy, I'm gonna have to blame those two hits that are a tad off center on a stinking mosquito that had bitten me on the cheek. It made it hard for me to get a good cheek weld.:D

Just Kidding.

Here's some info on my rifle.

Stiller Predator XT action (Single Shot)
30" Barrel from Rock Creek in MTU taper.
APA Fat Bastard Brake.
Chamber was cut with a .338 Lapua Mag match reamer from PTG.
Mcmillan A5 in 4 color desert Camo.
Finished in Flat Dark Earth from Kg coatings.

Current Load is 90gr. H1000 behind a 300gr. SMK. CCI 250 primers, and Lapua Brass.

I'm getting an ES of 12, which is mind boggling to me, but thats what my Chrono says.

Only getting 2742fps, but I am only at 500ft above sea level.

Another thing is, I have more case capacity and no signs of pressure, but it will easily shoot ragged hole groups at 100, so I see no need to push it any harder. Once I shoot up all my SMK's, I'll be giving those berger hybrids a try. Have had great results with my 300rum with them, so hopefully the 338s will perform well too..

Actually Bigbuck, I am my own smith. I am a machinist by trade, so one day I thought I would mix that with my love of shooting, and the rest was history. I have about 7 builds under my belt now. Oh, and before anybody puts the feds on me, I do have a Manufactures FFL. So I am legit, wish I could quit my job and build them full-time, but I can't justify that right now. Besides, I feel I have alot to learn yet. But I'm getting there..

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Awesome looking rig. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.