Last straw with the Chrony

Holmes

**** infernal squeeze box that lies to me
mad.gif

The little Chrony worked well enough for me over the years for traditional hunting purposes but, having been infected with the LR virus a couple of years ago, the wee beast is down to four days and a wakeup.

Yesterday at the range conditions were hosyile for Chrony use; completely overcast and dark with a Southeaster coming at me from two o'clock. Testing three load batches with RL22, IMR 4350, and H4831SC. Allfamiliar powders. Cases sorted and carefully neck sized. Charges weighed. Velocities all over the place! 100 fps variations common. Tried modified screens, tried no screeens, tried long rods and short rods, tried new battery, blacked my bullets. Readings still very questionable. Three hours wasted as this data cannot be trusted for use in a ballistic program.

I've used the Chrony for some years now and I know my way around its little personality quirks but I can go no further with such poor data. I've got a rifle now that will consistently stay inside .5MOA and I subject it to a WalMart quality analytical device... utter imbecility. Next time, just slap me, would ya?

Just received an email with the tracking number for the Oehler 35 that is enroute
smile.gif

I can't wait to lug the cumbersome beast around and log numbers that are not subject to the Clintonian rule of accuracy.

Come to think of it, I may donate the used Chrony to the Clinton Museum for his exhibit on the meaning of the word, "is".

Feeling better now...
grin.gif

You will not regret buying the 35P, maybe a little bit that you didn't do it sooner
grin.gif

We covered the use and transportation of the Oehlers sometime back, you can find it all in the archives or just ask and I'm sure you will pick up more info.

Good luck, you are getting a good toy. They are about as reliable as an anvil.

Hello Ian,

I spent last evening going through the archives and studying. Lots of good info. I was torn between the Oehler and the Millenium, however, the Oehler has such a strong track record that I decided to go with the old reliable.

I love new toys
smile.gif
smile.gif

Holmes, which brand/type of chrony are you going to retire?

The reason that I ask is that I am in the market for a chrony to help me with my reloading.

Its the F1 Master. Basic unit with the addition of the remote display for bench reading.

Here is the link to their product index so you can see what they are all about:

http://chrony.ca/products.html

These units are fine for normal reloading and such but I just don't trust them for consistent precision as it relates to LR ballistics.

You will get along fine with a unit such as this as long as you don't try to get data on days where the lighting is fickle.

A good rule of thumb with a Chrony is it needs to leave a shadow. If the sky is so overcast that a shadow is not present, you'll start to get errors. Not a big deal for normal usage, but when testing expensive and laborious components, one does not want to lose data on even one shot.

This is my second Chrony as my first did not have the remote display. Trust me... you want the remote
smile.gif

Natchez has the F1 Master on sale right now for $95 which is a pretty good price. You can also buy reconditioned units for less than that direct from Chrony. The recons I have seen were rather ugly and showed their previous usage. They did seem to work OK. I just don't do the "beat-to-hell" look with my equipment so I purchased both mine new.

If you're interested, I would take $70 for mine, shipping included. If you're budget is really tight, I believe the reconditioned units can be purchased for $50. They are an F1 but cannot be upgraded.

If you want to see mine I can shoot a couple of pics and E them to you.

Regards,

[ 04-19-2003: Message edited by: Holmes ]

That would be a good choice. I also seriously considered the Millenium.

It is apparently used by the USMC and several of the prominent shooting organisations.

I think the Millenium is ptobably the only real competition to the Oehler.

Good luck & take care.

I own and operate a CED Millennium Chronograph (sometimes that is)
rolleyes.gif
. I will emit that it has the same problems as others do in dim lighting conditions and when it happens its definitely frustrating!
mad.gif

I was considering buying the infrared screens (its like a $90.00 option) but have not decided if that will really solve the problem or not. I'd really be torked if I spent another $90.00 and it does't solve the problem! Sometime I think that I should have gone with the Oehler to begin with.

On the other hand, the RSI Shooting Lab software is kinda neat. In addition to printing targets, storing load data, providing interior ballistic data, and keeping a shooting log of every round fired, it will also analyze your target and your chronograph data.

You litterally tape your shot-up target to your computer monitor, then use the mouse and cursor to mark the bullet holes and intended aim point and press "Analyse". You combine that with a PC download of your Chronograph data and select the bullet manufacturer, type and weight from a built in catelog of data, and the software will provide you with virtually every exterior balistic information you may want. You want to add in wind drift, it'll analyse that too.

As far as the accuracy of the analyses...well it's a place to start. It does require some calibrations to get the computer model to match real world bullet impacts.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.