Last minute change up?

Ucsdryder

I've spent the summer developing a load for my 7saum with a 20" barrel. The gunsmith screwed up and throated it long so my bullets have to jump a long way.

I'm shooting 180eldm out to 1000 yards and the results have been great. I feel extremely confident in the load I've developed. It's holding 1650ft/lbs and 2000fps at 1000 yards at hunting elevation, farther than my max effective range.

that being said, I picked up a 1st season rifle tag in Colorado for bull elk. It's in a GMU that is about 60% above timberline, perfect for the 180s.

I'm thinking that having a second bullet, something like a partition wouldn't be a bad idea to have in the gun, in case I come across a big bull in the timber and need to shoot head on, quartering, etc.

Thoughts on having 2 magazines, 1 with a controlled expansion and then another for sitting ridge tops, etc?

I have the same thoughts. I like eldm bullets for long ranges but up close the destroy lots of meat, I'm not wanting to mess up an opportunity for an animal just because it's too close. Usually long distance shots give lots of time for setup and preparation. This means you have plenty of time to load and chamber a round. On the other hand close quarters deep timber shots are quick or not at all. Here's my solution for the problem. Prepare two different rounds one for long and one for short range kills, for short range the partition is a good bullet so would be a hammer or badlands or Barnes or other solid copper bullet. These bullets do their best work up close. With fast impact velocities. I would work on a load that shot as close to the same poi at 200yds as possible. Once you have that load, zero the rifle with the long range ammo but carry it with the short range ammo loaded. If you come upon a close opportunity just aim and take the shot. If you end up encountering a long range opportunity you have time to reload with the proper ammo and then take the shot. This two bullet approach seems like the best scenario instead of hoping that one bullet will do it all, when we know there is no such bullet.

BTW the long range rounds ride on the side of the rifle in one of these so reloading doesn't take long.

Attachments

• 50814A0A-01F6-4E69-9323-01B42B3C8BA3.jpeg
    50814A0A-01F6-4E69-9323-01B42B3C8BA3.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 51

Recent Posts