Last day of rifle season

I don't have an AR, but for me, the little I have handled & shot at the range, I couldn't see myself carrying one out to the timber. But If a person wants an auto, thats the only choice thats out their. Ive had Browning semi autos, and they are just too delicate for my tastes.

Lol ARs are anything but delicate. Can be plenty accurate too with a good barrel.

I wish I could tell you guys that I knew what the rule 4 I was doing to be successful at this. I hiked in a couple miles to a dense stand of trees where I have seen quite a few deer, and my idea was that I'd spread a bunch of Code Blue doe in estrous all over the place and sit on one of the few little openings with max shot potential of 150 yds. My buddy and I weren't there for more than 30 minutes and we were surrounded by wolves, up above us running through the trees, across the canyon and downstream of us on this little creek. They started howling at each other and from the sounds of them moving around they were zeroing in on us, maybe because all of my stuff smells of Code Blue, or the animals that were packed out with my pack this season? They were definitely aware of us and closing in from several angles.

This guy popped into a clearing and as he was trying to decide how to cross the semi frozen creek I gave him a dirt nap from 50 yds. Then another appeared that was smaller and more classic in color. It was a bummer letting that one walk for lack of tag to hang on it. I have been holding a tag every year since 2008 or maybe 2010 when I shot one and never recovered it, and only seen a handful of them since then, never enough time to get a shot off.

What a way to end a really fun and successful season.

Had to skin him out, guessing maybe around 100 pounds or so. He's definitely mature. Man do they smell rancid.

View attachment 160772 View attachment 160773

what state did you take the wolf in?

The same 280AI that I shoot everything with. 22" Proof in a McMillan. 168 grain at 2900FPS. I'm not real proud of the shot, I think I got wolf fever and just clipped the back of the lungs but it was good enough. I've never been good at snap shooting and I think if I were going wolf hunting I'd take my AR.

I've never shot a wolf, however I think that if we ARE WERE honest with ourselves we all could would say that we've made shots that we were/are not proud of. To me that's a nice looking animal that you have posted here and you ought to be proud of it, I only wish I could have such an opportunity to harvest one. I'm really glad that you posted what you were using for a rifle. I have debating whether to build a 6.5-06 AI, a .280 AI (I've already have a .270AI) or a 30-06??? Information about what one was using helpful to me.

I've spent most of my life in Oregon and moves to the southeast a few years back and wish I would have taken advantage of wolf hunting in Idaho then.

Living in southern AZ for six years and have easily taken over 100 yotes, almost all with a 17HMR up close and personal, a wolf, especially a black one is bucket list material.

That's awesome man. Good for you!

I've never shot a wolf, however I think that if we ARE WERE honest with ourselves we all could would say that we've made shots that we were/are not proud of. To me that's a nice looking animal that you have posted here and you ought to be proud of it, I only wish I could have such an opportunity to harvest one. I'm really glad that you posted what you were using for a rifle. I have debating whether to build a 6.5-06 AI, a .280 AI (I've already have a .270AI) or a 30-06??? Information about what one was using helpful to me.
I don't live around wolves but it sounds like they are much worse than coyotes, any bullet into one is better than missing them ethical or not! They don't play ethics when they eat game alive! Ida shot every one that gave me an opportunity!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.