Laser Rangfinder Help Needed

coyotezapper

Has anyone tried the Newcon Optik rangefinders? I have two rangefinders but I want to upgrade. I have an original Bushnell 1000 that has been great but I feel that the technology has improved and I want to upgrade. It works great for big game but is poor for praire dogs etc. My second rangefinder is a Leica 1200 and it is a piece of junk. It will not work in bright light and is suspect past 500 yards on anything. My Bushnell 1000 will hang with a Swarovski to about 700 yards but the Leica is never even close. I ranged a small building(10x10 approx.) at 470 Swarovski, 468 Bushnell and the Leica was 392??? I am intrigued with Newcon Optik rangefinders because they offer extended range lasers. I like the Swarovski but I would like more range. Any insight would be appreciated.

Coyotezapper

Your expereince with your Leica rangefinder is exactly opposite of mine... Do you have the LRF or CRF 1200? Either way you need to send it into Leica's customer service and have it checked out. My LRF reads to 1000 yrs easily and has never let me down while hunting. Yours may have a problem, let them check it out. NJS

Has anyone tried the Newcon Optik rangefinders? I have two rangefinders but I want to upgrade. I have an original Bushnell 1000 that has been great but I feel that the technology has improved and I want to upgrade. It works great for big game but is poor for praire dogs etc. My second rangefinder is a Leica 1200 and it is a piece of junk. It will not work in bright light and is suspect past 500 yards on anything. My Bushnell 1000 will hang with a Swarovski to about 700 yards but the Leica is never even close. I ranged a small building(10x10 approx.) at 470 Swarovski, 468 Bushnell and the Leica was 392??? I am intrigued with Newcon Optik rangefinders because they offer extended range lasers. I like the Swarovski but I would like more range. Any insight would be appreciated.

Coyotezapper

I have spent a ton of time searching for a new range finder...My leica works well to 1300 yards or so,,I sent my swaro back because it had trouble ranging past my leica mid day. I have literally lazed at least 15 different swaro's trying to find one good one.

Honestly, you will not find a good reliable range finder that you can count on past 1500 yards mid day at your local sporting goods store not even cabellas.

I have looked into many others that cost as much as $13,000. And Im not about to spend that kind of money on a ranger finder. I looked into the Newcon and spoke with the boys from Chey-tec, but they don't seem to be impressed with it.

I have been hearing some good things about Vectronix. They are based in VA (i think) and they have won a ton of contracts for various governments around the world. Do a google search on Vectronix and you can get a good read on how many soldiers are using their units world wide. They have four base units. They start from 2500 yards to 3500 yards. The cheapest one is around $3,500. I have seen this unit range to 3,000 yards on a water tank by a guy on snipershide. Get on the snipers hide forum and like this forum you can get some info on this unit.

Please share your results here,

zman.......

A buddy has one of the monocular 2000's...and he has no problems getting 1300 on trees.

I have a set of LRB 7x50 rangefinding binoculars goot to 1500 meters...and they work great, I have gotten 1494 yards on evergreen trees. I am having trouble with it now as I am getting 32 yards and 22 yards when it should be 1k+. And I am starting to get little black "sand" in the lenses (internal). I have been told the "sand" issue is diodes failing.

I took it in trade and don't really have a use for it now, but I am going to send it to Newcon soon for a checkup. If you want I will sell you mine for $1000 and you can send it in to Newcon for the checkup. Before I had the wierd ranging and "sand" it worked great so I am pretty sure they are related. The lowest price I could find on line was $1400. But if you are interested just email me

[email protected]

Joe Oakes

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.