Laser Rangefinders

Jerry Cunningham

I thought I might share my recent experience testing several laser rangefinders side by side on the same objects. I tested a Leica LRF 1200 (the older box type unit) a new Leica 1200 CRF, a NewCon 1500, and Swarovski Guide. The Leica LRF is a 600 to 800 yard unit but it completely outclassed the much newer Leica 1200 CRF. The newer Leica often could not reach 600 yards. The older box type unit is also much easier to hold steady than the CRF. The NewCon 1500 was a real surprise. It would outrange the Leica's every time and give the same readings at the ranges that the Leica would give readings. The glass on the NewCon is quite poor but it does range well and for $300.00 I cannot fault it. The Swarovski easily outperformed any of the other rangefinders. Often giving readings past 1200 yards on deer size objects. All the rangefinders gave the same readings on objects that they could be matched on. I bought the Swarovski and I put up the Leica LRF 1200 for sale, but I now think I will keep the Leica as a back-up. You do get what you pay for but sometimes you do not. The newer Leica is not worth the price in my opinion. There does seem to be some differences between rangefinders of the same model type. However, this is what I got with these units on this day.

I tested a Leica LRF 1200 (the older box type unit)... The Swarovski easily outperformed any of the other rangefinders.

I replaced my Leica LRF 1200 Scan with a Swarovski and experienced the same improvement in ranging ability. Sold the Leica 1200 Scan 3 years ago. I'm completely happy with the Swaro so far. I did have to replace the battery this October on a Mt. Goat hunt. The original battery lasted a long time - about 2 yrs and multiple hunts - in my Swaro. Other than that, it takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in. But some other members are beginning to post of functional failures with their Swarovski LRF. So be aware of this potential as you continue to use your Swaro.

Wow, it amazes me how different the results on these are when tested by different people. Totally not what I see from my Leica 1200 CRF. I am beginning to think there are HUGE differences in the same modles unit ot unit. Maybe I need to carry 3 instead of two..:rolleyes:

Jeff

Wow, it amazes me how different the results on these are when tested by different people. Totally not what I see from my Leica 1200 CRF. I am beginning to think there are HUGE differences in the same modles unit ot unit. Maybe I need to carry 3 instead of two..:rolleyes:

Jeff

Plus one... My CRF 1200 ranges 700-900 in the brightest light conditons and depending on the angle and target will sometimes range to 1100 yds in mid day. The farthest reading I've gotten with it is 1431, at dusk. In the first or last hour of light it will quickley and consitantly, hit 1300 plus.

I did a side by side with CRF 1200, Swaro, and Zeiss in a parking lot. Not many good target options. it was a bright mid afternoon and all of them hit to over 100 yds. The Swaro ranged a group of trees past 1500 and the others wouldn't. I think both the Swaro and the Leica have their strong and weak points. I'm happy with the $$$ I spent on my Leica. It would be nice to have the Swaro also.

Maybe I need to carry 3 instead of two..:rolleyes:
Jeff

Jeff,

With all your challenges with RF, perhaps a Newcon 2000 or better is in order as your back up to a back up :rolleyes: ... or at least try anyways (unless you've already done so). IIRC, Joe Starnes uses the Newcons and I think he's a dealer too. Maybe if you sweet talk him, he'll let you try his for comparative analysis.

Good luck!

Ed

Jeff,

With all your challenges with RF, perhaps a Newcon 2000 or better is in order as your back up to a back up :rolleyes: ... or at least try anyways (unless you've already done so). IIRC, Joe Starnes uses the Newcons and I think he's a dealer too. Maybe if you sweet talk him, he'll let you try his for comparative analysis.

Good luck!

Ed

HI Ed, I know Joe well , infact he built my Lapua Mag. I have used his before at his range on steel targets and it did work good. I may need to step up to higher priced units. I am looking at optiona now.

Thanks

Jeff

HI Ed, I know Joe well , infact he built my Lapua Mag. I have used his before at his range on steel targets and it did work good. I may need to step up to higher priced units. I am looking at optiona now.

Thanks
Jeff

Yep, I remember reading some of your old posts. I figure now that you are closer, you can ping him for it. BTW, how's Townsend and MT working out for you?

Ed

I thought I might share my recent experience testing several laser rangefinders side by side on the same objects. I tested a Leica LRF 1200 (the older box type unit) a new Leica 1200 CRF, a NewCon 1500, and Swarovski Guide. The Leica LRF is a 600 to 800 yard unit but it completely outclassed the much newer Leica 1200 CRF. The newer Leica often could not reach 600 yards. The older box type unit is also much easier to hold steady than the CRF. The NewCon 1500 was a real surprise. It would outrange the Leica's every time and give the same readings at the ranges that the Leica would give readings. The glass on the NewCon is quite poor but it does range well and for $300.00 I cannot fault it. The Swarovski easily outperformed any of the other rangefinders. Often giving readings past 1200 yards on deer size objects. All the rangefinders gave the same readings on objects that they could be matched on. I bought the Swarovski and I put up the Leica LRF 1200 for sale, but I now think I will keep the Leica as a back-up. You do get what you pay for but sometimes you do not. The newer Leica is not worth the price in my opinion. There does seem to be some differences between rangefinders of the same model type. However, this is what I got with these units on this day.

I tested the Lieca 1200 side by side against the Swarovski for abou 3 months in 2005 and the Swaro out ranged the Lieca by a wid margin

I tested the Lieca 1200 side by side against the Swarovski for abou 3 months in 2005 and the Swaro out ranged the Lieca by a wid margin

Hey JWP, 2005, so were you comparing the old Leica 1200 LRF to the new Swaro Laser Guide? Just currious because in my opinion the NEW Leica CRF is way better than the previous model.

Now I am in agreeance that the Laser Guide will out distance the CRF. But out to 1000 I feel due to the beam devergence the Leica is more accurate. And for sure more reliable than the swaro.

Jeff

In 05 there was no CFR, but in the brigh sun light the Lieca had trouble at 600 and the Swaro could stil do 1000. It was no contest and in good conditions the Lieca would do 1140 + and the Swaro would do 1980+, never ever close the Swaro ruled

I'll take the Swaro

Yeah, no contest here, the New swaro Laser Guide is far better than the old modle Leica LRF. But if one was to compare the old modle Swaro RF-1 to the Leica LRF it might have been a different story.

I am hoping someone will come out with a new superior model soon. I have to think maybe swaro is working on one since they don't seem to concerned about fixing the circuit problem and the button problem with the current LaserGuide.

I can only hope.

Jeff

Swaro will fix anything that is wrong, they will even send you a loaner if needed

Swaro will fix anything that is wrong, they will even send you a loaner if needed

Yeah, I know. I have sent it in once and it went back to Austria. Six months after I got it back it was doing the same thing. ( freezes and battery needs to come out and go back in to get it working again) So I called again, they very willingly sent me a brand new unit. I swear to god.. two days later it froze and I had to remove the battery while trying to range a good bull. few days later did it again. I even bought a second laser guide for a spare, the button is getting hard to push on it.:rolleyes: I will call them again on monday. Maybe I will eventually get a good one.

I know the swaro will range farther than my Leica CRF. But out to 1000 the leica is faster, lighter, more precise due to the smaller beam and smaller easier to see reticle and it always works.

Not trying to bash a great company like swaro, I have thousands of dollars in their product. But maybe you can see why I refuse to subscribe to the theory that the LaserGuide is the Holy Grail of rangefinders,, or maybe not. :)

Jeff

I have used a Leica 1200 LRF for years and it has never failed me... My hunting buddy has a new CRF 1200 and I have played with it... the newer unit is harder to hold steady because it is smaller and is easily moved while ranging. When we consentrate on holding it rock steady, and not moving our wrists, it ranges like my 1200 LRF... except it is faster. Being pocket sized, it is easier to wobble while your ranging. The Swaro unit is bigger and heavier, but easier to hold steady because it it a two handed unit... while the Leica can be used with one hand. NJS

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.