largest elk's ?

460or338

Any one have pictures of record size elks etc?I seen a picture on google of a 502 size elk and s$$$ it's big lol

here's a photo of a irish elk
elk.gif

now extinct but how does this compare to north american elk in the 500+ range ?
see these makes me want to forgot all other hunting and just go after elk.I asked MY neighbor one day why he didnt want to go on a elk hunt .He said deer is funner because they have personality .And there easier to hunt because there all over they place he and he can do it more.But to me if something like elk hunting is a ounce a year thing it make it more special than something you can shoot any ole day of the week.I have that ivory hunter mentality i think lol:D

oh yeah here;s that picture of the 502
kevinreid502elk2.jpg
maybe y'all already seen it before ?

Elk are large animals. They don't grow to 500" in the wild. Farm raised, yes. They are genetically altered and highly fed.

I am not sure what you are asking for, but going out and shooting a world record bull elk is not going to happen unless you shoot behind a high fence.

If you are going to go out and hunt elk, make sure you are ready to handle an animal that weighs 800lbs give or take a few hundred pounds. Unless you are going to shoot one in the road, you will have to be able to handle it in pieces. The term "the work starts after the shot" is 110% true when elk hunting.

Good luck,

Steve

Elk are large animals. They don't grow to 500" in the wild. Farm raised, yes. They are genetically altered and highly fed.

I am not sure what you are asking for, but going out and shooting a world record bull elk is not going to happen unless you shoot behind a high fence.

If you are going to go out and hunt elk, make sure you are ready to handle an animal that weighs 800lbs give or take a few hundred pounds. Unless you are going to shoot one in the road, you will have to be able to handle it in pieces. The term "the work starts after the shot" is 110% true when elk hunting.

Good luck,

Steve

+1

And also is you shoot one behind a high fence it does not count as a record in B&C, SCI,or
Pope and Young.

So working hard for a 350+ elk is much more rewarding than a high fence kill In my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

That is a big elk!!! WOW
IMHO: if you can pay for a high priced high fence trophy and the hunting is fair chase then I dont care if the record books dont recognize the trophy.
But I do agree that hard work in the wild for a trophy elk, or deer, or any other species is more rewarding than a high fence hunt.
Anyway, that one is a big elk.

I meant what is the largest elk that have been shot.

Lookup Denny Austad's Spyder Bull that he took hunting with Mossback Outfitters in Utah, 2008. It scores 500 B&C and is the new world record. I don't know if it's legitimate or not but there are many that say it is not. That it was either planted or an escapee from an elk farm. I can't say either way, it does look too fantastic to be a real wild elk but either way, it's in the books.

lazylabs,
I know what you mean, you made your point there. I have never hunted in a high fence ranch, there are no high fenced ranches were I live. I have always hunted in open places.
Agree with you that wild game hunting is completely fair chase, but there might be some places with high fences were hunting is almost as wild or as fair chase as in open terrain.

Wow!! that is a huge elk. The head on that thing must be in excess of 2 feet front to rear. Can you imagine the work involved just to get it ready to pack out.

Lookup Denny Austad's Spyder Bull that he took hunting with Mossback Outfitters in Utah, 2008. It scores 500 B&C and is the new world record. I don't know if it's legitimate or not but there are many that say it is not. That it was either planted or an escapee from an elk farm. I can't say either way, it does look too fantastic to be a real wild elk but either way, it's in the books.

Here's the link ...

Boone and Crockett Club Confirms New World Record Elk | Bill Schneider | Travel & Outdoors | NewWest.Net

I believe they test them, as in take blood samples and what not and can confirm wild vs. pen raised. How they do that is that the pen raised that get so huge have red stag in their bloodlines and that is how they get so big. If I remember correctly the Spider Bull was tested by the Utah F&G and proven to be a wild elk.

Now how he was taken wasn't really great, in that the outfitter prevented other hunters from entering the area they knew the bull to be in, which is of course against the law, but... yeah. That's the way it goes.

ya i had my blood taken and tested.
found out that i also was city raised, but it also showed i was on the wild side,
I like to lick minerial licks and such.
so whats the dif. if you go into the mid. of a wilderness area and through down a d couple hundred lbs of salt licks,
cut up the ground and lace in a couple pounds fo forrage grasses.
and walk away from it for 3 months.
its going top put the free roaming elk there.
they are not going to stray far.
you walk in with your client and pow your in the books.
now thats called a fair hunt.
i don't think so.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.