Large rifle primers

Amazingly no one picked CCI #34s. 😁
Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing, I use #41 & #34 all the time. I did have a problem once with the #34s in a Rem 700 in .308 Win not wanting to fire consistently due to the heavy cup, they'd all go off on the strike, so I stopped using them in bolt guns and kept the #34s to my semi-auto's. As for the #41 and my bolt rifles, I've never had the same problem with them in a bolt rifle. As for the Rem 700, there could have been a few other things contributing to it as well, I just stopped using them because it was easier that way. Cheers.

I use Fed 215M in my 300 RUM, 300 WM , 7 Rem mag and depending on powder in 6.5 PRC . 210 M in all else. CCI BR4 in small rifle . Pistol I'm not picky. Win. or CCI.

chrono and targets decide. I may load H1000 with 215Ms and RL26 with CCI 250s. I often get different ES/SD when I try different primers with the same powder, bullet, and rifle.

I let my chrono and targets decide. I may load H1000 with 215Ms and RL26 with CCI 250s. I often get different ES/SD when I try different primers with the same powder, bullet, and rifle.
👍🏼🇺🇲

Standard primers in a magnum load, a lot of loaders say oh-no. Sorry, I never used a magnum primer for my loads. The target below, upper left 2 shot group(.165)were shot 19 rounds apart with a .480 spread between the 4 shots. WLR primers. But there are rifles that need magnum primers.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1163Hammer Hunter 166 grn..jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1163Hammer Hunter 166 grn..jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 63
Standard primers in a magnum load, a lot of loaders say oh-no. Sorry, I never used a magnum primer for my loads. The target below, upper left 2 shot group(.165)were shot 19 rounds apart with a .480 spread between the 4 shots. WLR primers. But there are rifles that need magnum primers.
WLR primers are hotter than some magnum primers.When I compared the velocity between WLR and WLRM primers in my 300WSM,the WLR was only about 15fps slower.That was one of the reasons I just switched to just using WLRM primers since I load for several magnum rifles and ball powder loads usually do well magnum primers.

WLR primers are hotter than some magnum primers.When I compared the velocity between WLR and WLRM primers in my 300WSM,the WLR was only about 15fps slower.That was one of the reasons I just switched to just using WLRM primers since I load for several magnum rifles and ball powder loads usually do well magnum primers.
I need to test Fed 215M against WLR.

If memory serves, I believe WLR was third or fourth, with 215M at the top of a list compiled by someone. I have the list somewhere, like a LOT of other things I can no longer find.
Don't beat yourself up too bad. The power factor of primers varies from lot to lot, brand to brand. One would need to test what they have on hand.

When I compared Winchester Large Rifle Magnum and Federal Premium Gold Medal Large Rifle Magnum Match Primers 215M in my 308 Win,WLRM velocity was 2815fps and the Fed 215M was 2807fps with a 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.So really,I haven't seen any difference between the two primers in other cartridges I load for.I have some S&B Large Rifle Magnum primers that I bought about ten years ago for $17 a 1000.I get good accuracy with those primers,but the velocity was around 50fps less than what I was getting with a WLRM primer.Now that could be like a difference of a grain or so of powder to a load.One also needs to keep in mind,all powders are not the same.Some powders are harder to ignite than others.That's probably where a hotter vs colder primer can really make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Often, in my comp rifles match primers, both standard and magnum, come out on top. I also test both standard and magnum regardless of cartridge type.
Example, my 338-416 Rigby 45° that uses well above 100gr of powder performs best with Fed 210 Match primers.
To 2,000 metres it does very well.

Cheers.

So, is hotter burning requiring less powder than lower duration or flame temp? Or is more about what powder is being used. Just talking about max pressure, not accuracy wise. I know it's "what works best or more accurate" on decisions and I've seen many post a wide range of what primers they use per lets say 308win? With some brass mfgs producing small and large for the same cartridge adds to the question. "Well I use mag small in my 308win" or "I use br" and the list of combinations continue. Still forget that point and what could/can happen between different primer size, class and/or mag or non?

Often, in my comp rifles match primers, both standard and magnum, come out on top. I also test both standard and magnum regardless of cartridge type.
Example, my 338-416 Rigby 45° that uses well above 100gr of powder performs best with Fed 210 Match primers.
To 2,000 metres it does very well.

Cheers.
Powder column comes too play? Shape charge! How is that shape charge going off.....slow or fast and how it's stacked. .378, .420, .473, .535. or .590 bolt face cases with different tapers, oal and bore.