Large Rifle primer usage instead of 209 shotgun primer

wildcat westerner

Saw a short report on using a large rifle primer for ignition in a M/L versus the 209 shotgun primer. There were no specifics so just looking at the two different primers,something obviously has to be altered in order to make this happen. I am used to 1,000 yard competition and consistent primer ignition is an absolute must for cosistent groups at this long distance. Is anyone aware of a direct comparison in a m/L rifle with regard to the two sources of ignition?

WW

Reads like you're confusing a blackpowder mzlldr to a
smokeless mzlldr.....

I so..they use a centerfire brass to hold the rifle primer in place....
Encode should be right along soon..

There are options out there that use a lr or lrm primer. The premise is that a shotgun primer causes the bullet/sabot to push up before thorough combustion. The lr primers cause very little movement.
I've used both and prefer the lr primer using a primer module. I also shoot smokeless powder, but BH209 acts somewhat similar.
Is it necessary? Really depends on your needs. Are you shooting smokeless, non saboted bullets, and need long range (200+) accuracy? This will help.
At 150 or less, probably not worth the effort.

Jeff Hankins, PR Bullet, Arrowhead rifles, bestill custom creations are all good resources

Saw a short report on using a large rifle primer for ignition in a M/L versus the 209 shotgun primer. There were no specifics so just looking at the two different primers,something obviously has to be altered in order to make this happen. I am used to 1,000 yard competition and consistent primer ignition is an absolute must for cosistent groups at this long distance. Is anyone aware of a direct comparison in a m/L rifle with regard to the two sources of ignition?

WW
The main difference is a change in breech plugs to one that uses modules. Yes, modules shooting LRP's or LRMP's is more consistent than using 209 primers. An issue might be the rifle you have is not compatible with most of the custom breech plugs being made by the builders.
Modules work for BP, all substitutes (BH209 included), and they are used for the custom SML rifles.

If your intent is to shoot LONG RANGE, then the module system is what I'd change to, IF, my rifle was compatible.
Below is an example of a custom breech plug and modules for a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader (RUM).
Modules are easy to prime and re-prime with LRP's or LRMP's.

My custom rifle has the Arrowhead system and modules. We started shooting organized LONG RANGE matches last summer. We shoot 800, 900 & 1,000yds. I won the inaugural match.

New Remingington Plug and modules.jpg

Iirc the original variflame system had 209 adapter cups

The variflame 2 uses 22 hornet sized cups

But I could be wrong as I've never converted-- I use cci 209m with my bh209 loads and they work fine for the ranges that I shoot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323-151044_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323-151044_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 43
I used Variflame adapters to shoot LRPs in my 209 muzzleloader for a while. At the time I wasn't loading for shotgun but always had LRPs on hand for loading rifle rounds. Now I load for my 16 gauge and LRP are tough to find, so I use 209s. I saw no difference with BH209, but I'm not shooting much past 300yd.

Thanks for covering everything for me. I have a lot of LR primers and a 800 yard range is a short distance from Me. I seek the consistency of long range capability here in the Rocky Mountains.

WW