Lapua scenar bullets

grkldoc

Clearly several people at this forum support use of sierra matchking bullets. Has anyone used Lapua Scenar bullets 6.5 mm for long range hunting? How do they expand on game at close and long range?

My experience with these bullets has been strictly shooting chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams of the metal variety. These bullets have very tough jackets and are one of if not the best bullets for metallic silhouette because they do not explode and give more dwell time on the target thus increasing knockdown performance. Many accomplished silhouette shooters say these bullets are far tougher than the Sierras. Bob Cauterucio's bullets also have a tough jacket and there was some discussion of these bullets being used in a hunting application.

"PrimeTime
Member # 39 posted 08-30-2002 12:24 PM

In case some of you have never tried them, there is a fellow by the name of Bob Cauterucio making some VERY nice custom bullets. They are available in a wide selection of calibers and weights.
These bullets may be the best kept secret out there for the long range hunter. Although many match bullets have a thin jacket, the Cauterucio's are as thick and in some cases thicker, than the Sierra MK. They also have higher BC's than the Sierra's in most categories. I will be trying them this fall on deer and will post the results.
The following projectiles will be tested:
6.5, 141 grs. BC-.630
6.5, 129 grs. BC-.610
7mm, 156 grs. BC-.615
The BC's that Bob has are estimations, but seem to be right on when entered in a ballistic program and compared to actual drop.
If you are looking for a new long range hunting bullet, these are definitely worth a try.
PrimeTime

Bob does not have a website. You can talk directly to him:
Bob Cauterucio
482 Comerwood Court
South San Francisco, CA 94080
1-650-583-1550

My limited experience with Lapua match bullets has been pretty positive.

Given the success on paper I have had out to 1000 yards, I decided to try the 6mm 105gn bullets when I attempted a 1000yd shot on a PD with my 6mm/284. My shot on the PD entered the leg through the "ham" and exited the shoulder diagonally opposite. I was surprised to see signs of expansion from the shot on the recovered PD.

A little later, I hunted fallow dear and hoped for a shot out to 500yds over a felid at dusk or dawn. The shot on dear ended up being a bit closer than I expected at 200yds. The Lapua entered the shoulder and destroyed the heart and lungs without exiting. The buck hunched down on its forelegs before running about 10 paces and expiring in mid stride.

Limited to one calibre, but I would like to try them in some other calibres now that I have more rifles available that would suit the long shots.

Fergus

mydeer.jpg

me1000.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.