Lapua Brass Off Center Flash Hole

Timeoff2fish

I am just getting started in reloading... My wife bought me a RCBS kit for Christmas and I have been getting the necessary components together.

My goal is to increase the accuracy of my hunting rifle, a Custom High Grade FN/Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06. I do not plan to do high volume reloading as of yet, but rather I want to concentrate on making my ammunition as accurate and consistent as possible. I know that am not going to Camp Perry with this, but I want to squeeze out as much accuracy as I can.

With that in mind, I selected Lapua brass, but upon opening the box tonight, I found that about half of the flash holes are visibly off center.

Questions:

1. How is this going to effect accuracy from the standpoint of consistent ignition?

2. Won't this introduce runout as the decapping pin will not be centered during the sizing process?

3. At more than $1 per piece of brass, should this be acceptable?

Thanks in advance for the info.

I've been shooting rem 375 H@h brass with visibly off- center flash holes for a few years and there is no discernable difference in accuracy between them and perfect brass. If your decapping pin is still in the flash hole when it's ironing out the neck diameter you have bigger problems than an off- center hole.
I'd call for replacement if you haven't gottem into them yet as it really shouldn't have been shipped, but I wouldn't worry much at all if you've dug in already.

This is common in low end brass but should not be tolerated in lapua. If it was rem I would say toss the really bad ones and shoot the rest but given this is abnormal for lapua and that is one of many reasons we pay big bucks for them. Send them back.

Timeoff2fish,

Drop me a PM on here, and I'll be glad to take a look at this for you. If there's an issue, we'll be more than happy to make it right. Besides, we always want to know about stuff like this.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.