Lapua Brass Issue

Second do you think Lapua would help me out on this one if I contacted them?

Yes, I would expect that they would be interested in hearing about your experience. Just to avoid embarrassment (Been there; done that) have this information available if you call:

1. All data for the brass you're using (including lot number)
2. All data on the bullet you're using (take time to actually measure the bullet's diameter)
3. Tech. data on the sizing die (who makes it, what bushings you're using, the fact that it uses a sizing button - none of my bushing dies uses those cuz there's not much sense in increasing the neck size then reducing it's size in the bushing and expanding it again on the way out)
4. Tech. data on the seating die
5. CBTO you've set

Before you make the call, check the neck openings after sizing to be certain you're not gauling the interior surfaces or somehow reducing the neck size so much that the bullet hangs up.

lightbulb
If you're willing to make the investment, lube a bullet and the inside of an unprimed empty case and use a drill press or similar tool with a rod or drill bit in the chuck to push a bullet (point end first) into the neck to see if you can push it entirely into the case body without crushing the case neck.
Because you can actually see what's going on (something you can't see inside the die) it may give you a better understanding as to what's causing your problem.

Sorry I was unable to access your video on my computer for some reason. I'm wondering if your seating dye has a bullet crimp that is forcing the case to be crimped before the bullet is seated to your desired depth causing case deformation. If this were the case, you would just back the dye out of the press and adjust the seating stem for seating depth. I have experienced what you describe under these circumstances. What dyes are you using? Did you try reloading the cases from your originally purchased ammo? Those fire formed cases should pose no problem other than maybe tight chambering if only neck sized. A problem with Lapua brass seems unlikely. Just some thoughts.

First question is has this happened to any of you?

I just loaded a box of new 6.5 x 284 this past month. The new brass looked great but some wouldn't chamber in the rifle. There was a "bulge" near the shoulder and body junction.

The brass was sized and neck expanded before loading. No further problem and consistent dimensions. Precision results were great while fire forming and conducting load development on the virgin brass.

Even though brass is new to include Lapua, all brass should be sized and at a minimum neck expanded before loading.

Greyfox,

The issue was occurring without seating a bullet at all, other than the very first one I did. On the crimp I always turn my seating dies out a couple extra turns to ensure that I don't get any crimp unless I'm loading for mag pistols or my 45-70. The dies are Redding match S. Since you couldn't see the video I ran a couple pieces of never fired new out of the box cases through the neck sizer w/o a bushing the expander ball goes through the case mouth like any other round I have ever sized. Then when it hits the shoulder joint it gets incredibly tight.

Also I had loaded many norma and nosler cases prior to this for break in and getting a good starting load. I never had any issues with either using the same dies.

MMERS,

To continue where I left off but also comment on your post. After getting the ball to size out that spot at the bottom of the neck the runout is so awful I would basically be wasting powder and bullets just hopefully straighten them back out. Runout was over .030 on the two I sized.

Last edited:
Given that, I sure looks to be the brass then. My experience is that Nosler, Norma, and Lapua are pretty close. I basically use the same loads in my 6.5x284 for all three with comparable velocity and accuracy with the 140 Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.