Lapua Brass for a 300WM?.........

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by BearMan, Aug 29, 2004.

1. BearMan

BearMan Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to this page, but not to reloading. I puchased 100 rounds of Lapua Brass for my 300 WM., first time trying this brass. I received the brass and noticed that the O.A.L. was .005"+/-.001" under the recommended trim length.
    I trim my brass to 2.610", is this normal for Lapua Brass to be short? Maybe this brass will stretch to 2.610" after a few loads like other brass I have shot? But, I would have thought the brass would come with some extra stock to trim to your desire length? Should I worry about the short case?
    Will this cause problems with accuracy?
    I'm shooting a GAP rifle

Need some advice - PLEASE!!! [​IMG]
    I checked Lapua's website, they say that their Brass is 2.610" for the -300WM

Using;
    -Mike Rock 5R/24" Barrel
    -Lapua Brass
    -Berger 190 VLD
    -RL-22
    -1K competitions

Thanks for your time,
    szst8h [​IMG]

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

My Lapua brass is generally a little short too but I just trim it a little more to make them all the same and THEN once they exceed the max length I trim them to the recommended "Trim to Length". I don't believe having the brass a little shorter than the recommended trim length will hurt anything, it's just few thousandths, not like they didn't have any neck.

My recommendation: Trim them a little, load them up and shoot.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm in the same boat as Dave King , my brass is always a little shorter than satndard trim to length but I trim them all to get the exact length the same.

The Lapua brass is great stuff , I've got 4 loads on my 300 brass and that is with a very stout load and their still under max case length , I'll probably trimm them back to where they started after the fourth firing.

Don't know about you but I found the R-22 to give higher velocities but it wasen't as accurate , I've gone to H-4831sc with my 210gr Bergers , it gives up a little bit in the velocity department but it is very consistant and fills the case well as well as it meters.