Lapua bolt face on a 700

JJMoody

i just traded into a 300 Lapua on a trued lapped 700 action. Been thinking about swapping the bolt for a PTG bolt with a .590 face just because. The bolt face looks awfully thin as is. Does a PTG lapua bolt face look any different than a stock one that's been opened up? Would i be gaining anything assuming the job was done right to begin with?

I will not build a 338 Lapua on a 700 action. Remington can better afford the liability risk than I can. There are several actions much better suited to that cartridge.
What are those actions? I am wanting a 338 Lapua and I haven't found an action I like.

I personally won't build a 338 lapua on a remington action because of the bolt face requirements. If you want 338 Lapua performance there are other cartridges that have or will exceed the lapua performance that use a Magnum bolt face. If you just want a 338 lapua, Then a different action choice is best,

I like using the Weatherby Mark 5 action because the 378 bolt face only has to be opened up 6 or 7 thousandths, and the 378 extractor works fine just like it is, Also the Mark 5 has a center feed mag box that can exceed 4.000'' .

Other custom actions can be used that has a larger bolt like the Mark 5.

It is not a strength issue with the remington, but the bolt recess thickness after it is opened up.

J E CUSTOM

The Stiller design can be purchased with either a 1.45" or 1.6" action diameter. These are sent with the 0.750 diameter bolt.

Defiance makes actions for the Lapua cartridges using the same dimension for the bolt, 0.750" diameter. Preferences being what they are, I use far more of the Defiance than I ever have of the Stillers. The exception is for the .408 Chey-Tac cases...

But the big dog is the Surgeon.

Surgeon XL 1581 action:

The XL's bolt is also oversized, with a body of 0.745 inches in diameter and a length of 0.655 inches, and two large lugs measuring 0.50-inch long, 0.47-inch wide and 0.15-inch high. The left lug has a slot for an anti-bind guide rib in the left receiver wall. At the rear, the bolt features an integral 0.55-inch-long threaded stub, onto which bolt handles of three different design can be threaded. Three bolt faces can be had: standard (nominal 0.473-inch case head), magnum (0.532-inch head) and Lapua (0.580-inch head). Standard bolt faces use a Remington-style spring clip extractor, while larger bolt faces make use of a 0.20-inch-wide Sako-style extractor that is set into the right locking lug to give a low ejection angle. A pivoting bolt stop set into the left side of the receiver, protected by a raised fence, serves to release the bolt from the action.

Cadex is fielding the CDX-33 Patriot Action specifically designed for the Lapua cartridges. It uses the 'constant diameter' bolt design to create a slightly larger bolt diameter around the case rim.

Be aware that none of these actions are inexpensive. The best always costs more no matter what.

Regards.

Thanks for the answers, fellas. shortgrass nailed my question. I have already made a trade for the rifle and spoke to a few guys who don't have a problem
Building a lapua on a 700, but they usually swap the bolt for a PTG. I had no experience with em and wasn't even looking for an anything Lapua. The deal looked good, so I jumped on it. I'm having the rifle cerakoted and was debating on a new bolt, or just having the one in it fluted. Yes, had I planned on one from the start, I'd have gone full custom and likely a BAT.

The "lapua on a 700" topic has been beaten to death multiple times over...I still have yet to see an actual "failure" of one...

I never claimed to have seen or, even heard of a failure. That, however, does not encourage me to risk my lively hood and my customers safety.
You are free to pursue whichever avenue you choose.

I think one of the biggest differences between your Rem 700 bolt and a PT&G , besides the fact that the PT&G can and should be sized for the bolt raceway, is the Rem 700 bolt is 3 pieces, the handle, the body, and the bolt head. The bolt head being silver brazed to the bolt body, as is the handle. The PT&G bolt body and head are one piece. The handle can be attached like the Rem, or the PT&G can be ordered as a "1 piece bolt", handle and all. Simple equation; bolt body diameter minus bolt face diameter = rim thickness around the bolt face. Curtis Custom is producing an action with a .75" bolt, also. Remington can build 700 series rifles chambered for the Lapua, but I won't for the same reasons given by Eddie.

The .378 is the one you want. If you'd take a mag action bolt and open the face, you'd end up with the same condition as you have with the Rem 700. The body of the bolt is bigger, but the end, with the locking lugs is smaller in diameter. The .378Wby bolt is made with the larger bolt face in mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.