Lapua 6.5 139gr for hunting ???

Yes.

IIRC you're a member over on the campfire, here's all you need to know.

What kimber said, that along with an Idaho member that's been running them for two years exclusively, both short and long.

I used Scenars extensively for hunting in Europe and Africa. Till say 10 years ago there was not serious long range hunting bullets in Europe, and Scenars or Matchkings were the only way for high bc. I strongly do NOT recommend them for lr hunting. My experience goes from 450 meters kudu 338 lapua Scenars 250, to 300 WM, WSM, 308 with 180 and 167, 6,5-55, 6,5-284 with 139 and 136L. It is a hard bullet, quite erratic in terminal performance. When it does (!!!), less than 300 mt or 200 with 308, it will fragment in 6-7 pieces, but loosing a half of the mass. Go 100% with Eldm, 143 or 147, did not test Atip yet.

What kimber said, that along with an Idaho member that's been running them for two years exclusively, both short and long.
I'm Hiaring8 on the 24hour forums...we (myself, family, close friends) have killed 20 animals over the last 4-5 years with 139 and 150 scenars...including elk, mule deer, antelope, bears,ect....exits in every animal including both shoulder blades on an elk, and only one animal needed a second shot...absolute bone crushers.

Next I will be trying the 220s in a 300 RUM.

I shot a few white tail with 123 scenar from 6.5 Grendel out to around 300. All exited, every deer dead within 50 yards. I moved on to 130g Berger AR hybrids and haven't had any reason to look elsewhere

Bone crushers for shure, the problem is the opposite: if you don't get a heavy bone, i.e. lungs area, 90% it will work as a FMJ. If in doubt, you might (as I did after ten or fifteen shots like that on roe deers and fallow deers, some of them under 100 meters with 308 and 167 Scenar) cut in half a Matchking and a Scenar, and have a look at what you see.

To be clear (english is not my native language...) I do not want to say somebody else is wrong; I just want to underline that ERRATIC means not reliable in terminal performances. With a serious necroscopy work you can perfectly follow the performing of the bullet in it's trajectory inside the animal, i.e. pin hole entrance, pin left lung, pin heart, pin right lung, starts fragmenting when hitting opposite rib, exit. I do love Scenars, especially in Tikka rifles and Lothar barrels give me the best accuracy, but quitted use them for hunting.

it's time for lapua to make a long range hunting bullet .I use their mega tip bullets and they are by far the best huntng bullets I have ever used .They are not long range but I use them out to 400 yards in my 264 win mag .Their bullets are super accurate in my rifles .I was wondering the same thing about the senars .

Some weights in certain calibers seem better than others. 155 in 308 is a fantastic hunting Bullet as is the 139 in 264. The 180 in 284 is also amazing. I've had luck with the 100 in 264 for the the kiddos in a Creed and at 4k FPS in daddy's 26 Nosler

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.