Lapua 1x fired brass....heavy bolt lift with a "click"

KyleC

6.5 PRC

I bumped the shoulder on the fireformed brass .002" and used the same powder charge as I did with the new brass (59 gr. H1000 Hornady 143 eld-x). Accuracy was really good but on the 1x fired stuff, I'm getting a heavy bolt lift and a "click" at the top of the bolt throw,

Is my load too hot?

Do a search on "6.5PRC Clickers". There is a wealth of info on here and elsewhere. An easy solution would be to have someone recut your chamber with an Alex Wheeler spec'd 6.5PRC reamer.

Lighter loads or using less stout brass could also eliminate the clickers.

Do a search on "6.5PRC Clickers". There is a wealth of info on here and elsewhere. An easy solution would be to have someone recut your chamber with an Alex Wheeler spec'd 6.5PRC reamer.

Lighter loads or using less stout brass could also eliminate the clickers.
I've heard of this, but thought I read guys were having this problem after 3-4 firings?

having a click at the top of your bolt stroke is one thing but heavy bolt lift and a click is another that is pressure. 59.0gr is at or over max depending on where you get data.
check velocities of your virgin brass compared to your once fired, if you are getting a substantial increase your over pressure just back down to match your virgin brass velocities.
your right most clickers start after the third firing when your close to max, but I wasn't getting clickers until at least 8-10 but by then primer pockets were the bigger problem.

6.5 PRC

I bumped the shoulder on the fireformed brass .002" and used the same powder charge as I did with the new brass (59 gr. H1000 Hornady 143 eld-x). Accuracy was really good but on the 1x fired stuff, I'm getting a heavy bolt lift and a "click" at the top of the bolt throw,

Is my load too hot?
Nope, unfortunately this is common with lapau and can be with adg. I could get about 4x with adg before the click. 1x on lapau. I'm 8x on hornady and no issue yet.

So why are PRCs such problem children? Is it the case or the chamber?
It's the case usually. Some chambers are cut way too tight though and are an issue right off the bat. If you call whidden they will tell you short action magnums and thick web brass are a common issue. There are 3 ways to deal with it that seems common: custom whidden die, AW2 reamer, use hornady brass. The design itself isn't a problem for 99% of the population. Hornady designed it around their brass spec and although I've only tested it in 3 barrels, I know lots of folks having zero issue with hornady. Now, most of us want what we think is superior brass so we are dealing with a real issue when buying adg, lapau etc. That "superior" brass is thick etc and doesn't size down well at all and that creates too tight of a chamber clearance.

I was shown awhile back to turn the brass 180dr after resizing, and run it back into the sizing die for a second time. I never done this in 60yrs, but kind of made some sense to me because of spring back.

Interesting. I have a buddy having issues so I'll bring this up to him. He has Lapua, Nosler and Hornady brass. Is there any way to tell that the chamber was cut too small by brass dimensions?

I was shown awhile back to turn the brass 180dr after resizing, and run it back into the sizing die for a second time. I never done this in 60yrs, but kind of made some sense to me because of spring back.
Yes you can do it or just size 2x without a turn. One way to tell is just measure the base at the .200 line before sizing, size and measure, and size once more and measure again. Often you will see the size shrink down .0005 to .001 from 1x to 2x. Not always though.

One big key for heavy brass is good lube like a wax. One shot spray doesn't work for crap on PRC brass.