Lapping aluminum rings

I never realized that you need a special compound to lap aluminum rings. I have lapped a few sets over years and had no problem using the compound in the Wheeler Kit. I suppose I may have spent more time and muscle using the wrong compound, but I was able to lap the rings and achieve high percentage mating surfaces. My scopes/mounts using the Tally two piece integrated mount/bases have stayed rock solid after being subjected to a whole lot of hunting and shooting.

I decided to just call a local gunsmith and see what he had to say about it instead of reading so many differing opinions on the Internet, not knowing who to listen to. He told me he uses valve lapping compound and that what the kit came with would work great. He admitted that aluminum oxide would be slightly better but assured me that what I had would work fine.

I spent about 10 minutes with the 220 grit lapping compound and then decided to smooth it out with some blue magic metal polish. After about 5 minutes with that I am very happy with the outcome.

There is still a good sized gap between the ring halves. You would have to get pretty crazy to lap these rings so much they wouldn't tighten down.

Also, I called Talley beforehand and asked them about lapping there lightweight aluminum rings. They told me it was perfectly fine, but wouldn't give me any recommendations on what compound to use.

Thanks for all the replies.

J E Custom,

Not all of us can purchase enough rings to go through several sets to get two that match the action and the scope. When you use a 1" reamer with a 1" scope you are not changing the dimensions. You are changing where the 1" is in relation to the rings base. When I purchased my first expensive scope, a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and Talleys to put on my Weatherby there was no at my sophistication level to see if the rings were parallel with the action. The Weatherby was the lightest three lug rifle I knew of at the time. I wanted this scope because it was the lightest in the mag range; the Talleys because they were the lightest available.

I used a 1" lapping kit. The 1" rod only touched the high places of the rings. They were touching only on the front edge. Eventually most of the surface was the same so thoroughly the rings and I installed the scope. No ring marks. No slipping.

One can use Burris Signatures which weigh a few more ounces and forget the alignment hassles all together.

No one should have to buy several sets to find a good one. I have found several brands that I wont buy because they are not consistently true. there are rings and bases that are machined from one piece and are true every time But some of the best are very expensive $400.00 + so I try to find quality rings and bases for about 1/2 that amount.

There are a few brands that I wont buy and also I no longer use any scope mount that Is made of Aluminum for many reasons.

The rings with the soft liner in them will prevent ring marks, but under heavy recoil may/can slip with big heavy scopes (Like most of us use)

With me, it is a mater of priority. buy or build a custom rifle for $2500.00 to $8000.00 and hang a expensive scope on a set of $50.00 rings and bases just doesn't make sense. + they always fail at the worst time.

Instead of spending several hundred dollars on tools to ream and/or lap scope rings plus the labor, spend the money on a good set of rings and bases.

I have been dealing with all kinds of mounting systems for over 50 years and had all kinds of problems and failures, so I have altered my thinking so this doesn't happen any more. I am retired and not made of money ether so I know about cost, but is seams like ever time I try to cut cost,
it ends up costing more in the end.

Just saying. Not arguing.

J E CUSTOM

I am also in agreement with JE on many issues mentioned. I still have a few rifles mounted in old school rings and bars and there are probably scope ring marks on all those scopes. Go with a higher end 1 piece mounting system and don't look back.

I had a problem with a set of Talley lightweights that were lapped and wont do it again. IMO there quality is great but when lapped with a bar they get too smooth on the inside for handling recoil. My most recent purchases are from Near Manufacturing and quality is excellent.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

No one should have to buy several sets to find a good one. I have found several brands that I wont buy because they are not consistently true. there are rings and bases that are machined from one piece and are true every time But some of the best are very expensive $400.00 + so I try to find quality rings and bases for about 1/2 that amount.

There are a few brands that I wont buy and also I no longer use any scope mount that Is made of Aluminum for many reasons.

The rings with the soft liner in them will prevent ring marks, but under heavy recoil may/can slip with big heavy scopes (Like most of us use)

With me, it is a mater of priority. buy or build a custom rifle for $2500.00 to $8000.00 and hang a expensive scope on a set of $50.00 rings and bases just doesn't make sense. + they always fail at the worst time.

Instead of spending several hundred dollars on tools to ream and/or lap scope rings plus the labor, spend the money on a good set of rings and bases.

I have been dealing with all kinds of mounting systems for over 50 years and had all kinds of problems and failures, so I have altered my thinking so this doesn't happen any more. I am retired and not made of money ether so I know about cost, but is seams like ever time I try to cut cost,
it ends up costing more in the end.

Just saying. Not arguing.

J E CUSTOM

Can you give us your list of recommended rings/bases?

I am currently trying to decide between a picatinny rail and rings or a Talley system with the integrated rings and base to save weight for a 30mm scope. Any suggestions?

It is my experience that with Burris Signatures there is no slippage even with a 300 grain bullet at 3,000 feet per second. But I am a guy who doesn't believe you get what you pay for. You get the good stuff and good prices from shopping around and not spending money unnecessarily.

Just the other day I lapped in some 30mm Talley light weights with some unfancy lapping compound to hold a 22.2 oz scope on a 5 lb 5 oz rifle. After lapping they were painted to make me happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts