lans and grooves question

earl1704

Much of what I have read says to have the bullet sit aout 20K away from the lans and grooves.
My local gun dealer says to set a bullet (no primer or powder) long, insert into chamber and try to touch the lans and grooves. Then lower the seating until the bullet barely touches then back off another 20K.

I can seat my bullet long 2.52 but when iserted into the chamber it is not long enough to engage the lans.

Even long the reciever will accept them.

Using Remington 22-250 Model 700

Bullet set at 2.52

Hornady OCL 2.35

Am I not understandig the concept?

Hmmmm, maybe a long throat......

Try this:

With dremel cutter wheel make one cut from mouth to top of shoulder. The idea it to have a bullet slide "fairly" easily but not "too" easily in the neck.

Then start a bullet into the neck w/your fingers. Insert it just far enough to hold it.

Chamber this dummy round. The bullet should be then seated by the chamber of the rifle.

Very carefully remove the dummy round keeping it straight and not flipped out.

You should then have an accurate COL just a bit into the lands.

I do not think your misunderstanding anything, just have a factory rifle and a long throat is not a rare problem. The reason factories do this is so that they cover their rears in all shooting conditions. A long throat will drop chamber pressure with factory loads so that in very hot conditions the load will still be very safe, in cold temps, rather anemic to be honest!!

If you as them about handloads, they will tell you you should never hand load ammo because its far to dangerous to get it right...............:rolleyes:

It is not uncommon to have to seat the bullets so long to get close to the lands that the loaded ammo will not fit in the magazine box. THis can be corrected with your Rem 700 simply by having a qualifies smith install a replacement mag box to offer you more length.

First thing to do is seat the bullets even longer until you determine just how long your throat is, then get your over all length and then decide if even the extended mag boxes would work. Then take it to your smith and talk it over to correct the problem.

Or shoot it as a single shot......

If you can afford it, rebarrel the rifle with a match grade barrel with a correctly designed throat. I would also recommend accurizing the receiver and bedding the rifle. She WILL be a shooter then if all is done correctly.

Kirby Allen(50)

Shooting to 500 yds.

I have reloaded for many years but nothing over 200 yds and for hunting only.
I am now trying to go to 500 plus yds. with presicison. (for me this is a 3" group at 300 yds.) In your opinion can this be done with the Remington 22-250 chambered as it is or am I trying to get the gun to do something it wont be able to do without re-barreling?

As for gun smiths we have olny repair guys around here I have never been able to find a presicison shooter gun smith that I can rely on.

A new rifle may be in order.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.