Lane Precision Rifles 6.5 Sherman

waspocrew

I finally had the opportunity to take my new Lane Precision Rifle out for a spin over the weekend. Dallas Lane built an incredible rifle for me - it turned out even better than I could have imagined.

Specs of the rifle:
- Trued Rem 700 Action
- 26" Bartlein 1:8 twist light palma contour
- 2 port mini brake
- Jewel trigger
- PTG bottom metal
- Greybull precision stock
- Talley rings/bases
- Vortex HS-T 6-24x50

I formed brass with some 270 Hornady brass I received for Christmas. I used 52 grains of IMR 7828 SSC under a cheap 140 grain soft point.

I'm pretty happy with the results of the forming loads - I'm sure it'll shoot even better with the 140 Amax and Retumbo or RL-26. I'm excited to have joined the Sherman family!

** sorry for the sideways photos - not sure why they are doing that.

Attachments

• IMG_3819.jpg
    IMG_3819.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3522.jpg
    IMG_3522.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 110
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 107
Thanks! Yep, I ended up going with the "no neck turn" chamber so it would be one less thing to have to worry about. I'm hoping to get more trigger time with it, but school has been a killer so far. I'm sure you will enjoy yours!

That is a very nice do it all rifle. Please let us know what speeds you are getting with the full power loads.

How do you like the Greybull stock???
I just got one for my 300 WM but have not installed it yet.
Thanks, Kirk

I've really liked the feel of it so far - the rifle balances well with it and it's comfortable on the shooting bench. I've dry fired a bit while prone and it's a lot more comfortable than the HS stock I have on my Sendero. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it for being a relatively "cheaper" stock.

That is a very nice do it all rifle. Please let us know what speeds you are getting with the full power loads.

Thanks! I'll try to get out with it in the near future and get some loads chronographed for you - should be somewhere near 3200 FPS with the 140 Amax and at or around 3050 FPS with the 160 Matrix. At least that's what I've heard from several Sherman owners.

I've really liked the feel of it so far - the rifle balances well with it and it's comfortable on the shooting bench. I've dry fired a bit while prone and it's a lot more comfortable than the HS stock I have on my Sendero. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it for being a relatively "cheaper" stock.

I agree. I've got a few Greybulls in my safe and for the money you can't beat them for an all around gun stock.

Nice looking gun too.

Congrats on that new rifle. That is a beauty! I have a Greybull on my 30/375 S.I. and I really like it. I will be following your progress with interest. Let me know if I can help with anything.
I just talked to Jerry (J.E. Custom) and he is getting ready to build (MitchRapps). Jerry was VERY pleased with the action that was donated. He said ..........Well, lets wait and see:D:D........Rich

The Shermans are awesome rounds! Looks like you have a beautiful rifle that's going to shoot excellent based off your fire-forming loads.

I got similar results with my old 6.5 when I was fireforming, using a lighter dose of Mag Pro. Check out RL 33, if you've got a need for speed. Also the 150gr VLD from Matrix is an impressive little bullet and you'll get a little more speed than the 160gr.

Good luck and have fun with your new rifle!

Congrats on that new rifle. That is a beauty! I have a Greybull on my 30/375 S.I. and I really like it. I will be following your progress with interest. Let me know if I can help with anything.
I just talked to Jerry (J.E. Custom) and he is getting ready to build (MitchRapps). Jerry was VERY pleased with the action that was donated. He said ..........Well, lets wait and see:D:D........Rich

Thanks Rich! I appreciate your help along the way! Hopefully I'll have some more time to mess with it in a while. I've got a big licensing exam on March 10th that I'm prepping for, so the 6.5 will have to stay in the stable until after. Definitely itching to get out and try more loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.