Landowner Information

maninthemaze

Hello, me and my brother will be traveling to Wyoming on our first ever pronghorn hunt. We have purchased a Garmin 62st and now we are deciding which chip to buy. Should we get the one that is specifically for Wyoming, that has the landowner information, or get the chip that has Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, and no landowner information, for the same price.

I'm just curious what's the benefit of knowing who owns the property that your not allowed to hunt on. The only reason I can think of is pursuing a wounded animal. What are some of the other benefits? I'm just trying to decide if I actually need the landowner stuff.

Thanks

Hello, me and my brother will be traveling to Wyoming on our first ever pronghorn hunt. We have purchased a Garmin 62st and now we are deciding which chip to buy. Should we get the one that is specifically for Wyoming, that has the landowner information, or get the chip that has Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, and no landowner information, for the same price.

I'm just curious what's the benefit of knowing who owns the property that your not allowed to hunt on. The only reason I can think of is pursuing a wounded animal. What are some of the other benefits? I'm just trying to decide if I actually need the landowner stuff.

Thanks

there are a lot of advantages, if it anything like hunting up here in Montana a lot of land owners will let you hunt antelope because there kind of a pain in the *** for farmers, but you need to ask first. Another big plus of the chip is to show you where you are, there are lots of little areas that you can hunt mixed in with privat proberty but as you can imagine most land owners don't advertise that there there.

a lot of guy own lots of land but it's spred out and mixed with other guys, if you get permission to hunt on one guys land and not the neighbors but the land is in a few different chunks, it would be nice to know where all chunks are. if it just shows privat, then you have no idea who's land your on.

I would also check with fish and game where your hunting and see about "state leased land". I know now that in Montana that farmers/ranchers can not keep you from hunting on the leased land. they can make it so you have to sight in but it has to be well marked at the access points. I found this out after having a guy chew me up and down for glassing some deer on some state leased land of his. he had a ton on no hunting/trespassing sines. I stopped in to fish and game in the way home that night and they informed me that it's not legal to put up the signs and that I can hunt if I want

Buy whichever you can get for the best price available. I've been hunting Wyoming since 1994 and using the Wyoming chip that doesn't have the names of the land owner since they started selling them. Contrary to what the other member mentioned, you're not going to be hunting buck antelope in Wyoming on private land without paying a pretty hefty access fee unless you get real lucky. Many will allow does to be taken after the first week is over if you ask politely. Most of the ranches are already full the first week and won't even take phone calls any longer. As far as leased state land, unless it's agricultural land with crops on it, it is open to hunting. If a rancher has cattle or sheep grazing rights, it does not allow him to keep people from hunting the land even though a lot of them will try to bluff you off and say it's their land. State land will show as blue on your chip. BLM will show as yellow.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.