Land Survey system question

Dave King

I'm trying to find an article that describes the method used to survey land (U. S. of A. model). Specifically I'm looking for a determination (yeah or nay) on whether land is surveyed using a 'flat earth' model. The answer should allow me to prove or disprove that a nice flat field in Kansas that's 1 mile x 1 mile (on a tape measure... a long tape measure)is a section and also show that a steep mountainside in Montana (60 degree angle) that's 1 mile across the mountain and 2 miles up the mountain slope (using my long tape measure) is also 1 section.

Thanks

I'm not an expert in the field, but I did ask one. A mining engineer from WV told me that land is measured horizontially, regardless of terain. As you and he noted you get more land surface for your money when in the mountians.

RBrowining is spot on.

A section is one square mile and 640 acres regardless of terrain.

It really erks the farmers when I do the topo thing to their field and measure yield. Acres go up yield goes down. They take it personal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But they will always use the flat square model to pay the fertilizer guy by the acre. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So, if you want some really good real estate deals come out to Idaho which would be the largest state in the union if someone could iron it falt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.