Lancer carbon fiber free float tube, bi pod question

notajeep

I'd like to not have to spend additional money on a rail and also a bipod to rail adaptor. I'm thinking that could be an extra $80. What do you guys think the best way is to attach a bi pod to a carbon fiber tube. A link to such product would be helpful. I'll be away from the computer for a few days, hopefully in the next few days someone will help me out a bit.

Thanks

Clark carbon free-float tubes have a sling swivel stud installed on their tube and it works quite well. It's a 1/8 or 3/16th wall thickness piece of aluminum tube that matches the internal diameter of the tube. Just about 1/2 Inch wide buy 1" long and that is threaded for the stud. I believe there is just a clearance hole in the tube for the stud to pass through. It works well and wouldn't be that hard to duplicate.

Trying to make up m mind. I e-mailed the Mfg to ask about using a stud instead of a rail. I'm thinking a 4" ($35) rail is the only safe way to go. That would require an additional adaptor. So where did my weight savings go? Not too happy at the moment.

I used a regular stud, went to the hardware store and found a combination thread nut /washer. I tried to contour it to the handguard diameter. Seems to work.

The Mfg (Lancer) informed me they sell a stud and provided me a link to it. It is pretty much a low profile nut welded to a small square of sheet metal maybe 1"X 1". I'm not thrilled with my options here. I just feel over time that stud is going to crack out the free float tube. I'm considering returning the tube and exchanging it for a 1/4" thick Aluminum tube.

The Mfg (Lancer) informed me they sell a stud and provided me a link to it. It is pretty much a low profile nut welded to a small square of sheet metal maybe 1"X 1". I'm not thrilled with my options here. I just feel over time that stud is going to crack out the free float tube. I'm considering returning the tube and exchanging it for a 1/4" thick Aluminum tube.

The stud should not damage the tube at all. Honestly I would bed a fender washer in epoxy and install a sling swivel stud. That said I think the Fortis HG is the lightest HG on the market.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.